Trade in now or wait for 2019???

There are undoubtedly some great deals on now.  The fact is that the upgrade will cost you a certain amount of money.  Talk to a salesman and find out the actual cost.  Then decide if it is worth spending this amount on a truck that is virtually the same as the one you have or spending that amount of money on something else!  I have a '15 that I like and would prefer an "18.  However,  I own my '15 and a  '18 c/w loan is not worth the upgrade in my case.

48 minutes ago, Donstar said:

There are undoubtedly some great deals on now.  The fact is that the upgrade will cost you a certain amount of money.  Talk to a salesman and find out the actual cost.  Then decide if it is worth spending this amount on a truck that is virtually the same as the one you have or spending that amount of money on something else!  I have a '15 that I like and would prefer an "18.  However,  I own my '15 and a  '18 c/w loan is not worth the upgrade in my case.

I agree 100%. My buddy owns a 2015 and he only has 30,000 miles on it. He wants to trade it in for a 2018 and I'm like, why? It's virtually the same truck with a little different grill (and he prefers the grill on his 15). 

They offered him $21,000 in trade and $6,000 in rebates, he wisely passed. Imagine if he took that deal? They'd sell his 2015 for in less than a week and he'd find himself riding around in the basically the same truck, but with additional $15,000 in debt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TexasZseventyone said:

I have 2016 LT Z71 with 15,000 miles on it. I regret not buying a higher trim. I want to trade it in for an LTZ. Am I better off trading it in now and getting a 2018 or waiting for a 2019? I don’t know how much my truck will drop in value once there is a new model out...

2019s are ugly ass all hell. So I dont vote for the 19

To me, dealers seem like they are trying to move the older models out. I'd go for it now if you're dead set on the higher trim. If not, keep your current ride. My 3/4 ton was an LT and to be honest, it didn't lack any features that made me regret my decision to buy it. The only option I had them add on was leather, as I had an 07 half-ton GMC that had the lint roller seats that drove me nuts.

The '19's are a bit Ford/Tundra-esque to me, and while I left room for them to grow on me after seeing them in person(like the Tahoe redesign,) I was out and decided not to wait after seeing there was no green offering. I almost bit the bullet on an '18 Sierra in graphite/slate(at least it had a green hue) when I checked autonation and found the '15 ltz in green. The front end I loved, 36k miles, 15k cheaper than an '18, CPO, and the color combo I loved.

It's your call, but I would not bite on the new body, at least not yet - grab an '18 Sierra! That's a front end I could live with =)

Jerry Reyolds(the CarPro) says this is one of the two best times to buy.  The best incentive/ discounts and good selection cross each other at this time.  From here on, the selection goes down,  but sometimes individual dealers will discount further than factory incentives as the new model year vehicles come in and old stock sits.  i bought  a truck for 14k off sticker at the end of the calendar year, but had to take a color I hated. When something bothers you about a vehicle, it wears on you,  I sold that red 2008 Vmax in 2014 and was relieved.  Glad its gone. Hate red.

Get what you want, if you can afford it. 

Me, I like new body refreshes more often than not.  From what little Ive seen of the new Silverado/Sierra, I like it better than my K2.  They did round the wheelwells somewhat, finally, after squaring them in 1973.  But they still look like a 6 year old tried to draw a round wheelwell and got some weird shape, especially the GMC.  Who has been in charge  of wheelwells for 45 years ...and when is he gonna retire?

carl1.jpeg

Edited by Spurshot

Personally I would hang on to your 2016 for a couple of more years.  I have been taught never to buy a new vehicle that will never look "new" since the body style is changing.  Once the initial model 2019 "kinks" are worked out the 2020/2021 models will be a great option.  Prices will not be as low as the fire sale pricing currently on 2018's,  but in order to remain competitive they will be discounted considerably.  If you want to be the 1st on the block with a new 2019 expect to get hosed.  Besides your equity will be higher should you decide to trade or depending on how long you keep it sell your paid off truck.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:29 AM, Rolling Thunder said:

I would look for a 2018 if you want a higher trim model .  The 2019 is the next generation and you see all the issues they had on the 2014 'next 'generation' models.  There is no way I would buy a makeover, first year 'next generation' vehicle (IMO).  Lease:  Yes,  buy: No.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have decided to trade in now before the new ones come out and my truck is worth less, also I'm not a huge fan of the 2019 models. I've decided to go with the Centennial Edition to help make it a little more reasonable to trade in for basically the, "same truck". At least this one will be a special edition with everything I want in it. 

Edited by TexasZseventyone

I just did this very thing. My 15’ had just over 18k on it. It was a lease not due until Jan of 19’. The more I seen and read about the 19’ the less I liked. So when they sent the pull ahead email I found a max tow crew cab standard bed and snatched it up. It’s everything I need and wanted and the price was right. If nothing major goes wrong I’m hoping this will be a 15 year truck for me.   I didn’t want to miss out on a interior I knew was comfortable and the max trailering package that I knew about. I was worried one wouldn’t be found in Jan. 

Edited by 15slvrDbl

On 5/28/2018 at 1:46 PM, TexasZseventyone said:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have decided to trade in now before the new ones come out and my truck is worth less, also I'm not a huge fan of the 2019 models. I've decided to go with the Centennial Edition to help make it a little more reasonable to trade in for basically the, "same truck". At least this one will be a special edition with everything I want in it. 

Good call. The centennials are great looking trucks!!!