Wiring side step lights to the cargo lights (after diode mod)

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it.  What I'm finding I love and at times hate about this forum is the abundant wealth of information and that can make it hard to find a specific answer.

Anyway, I'm a happy new owner of a '18 Z71 and I've taken off with some of the many mods that folks have done to improve the truck.  I already did the diode mods to have the fog lights on with the headlights as well as the cargo/factory bed LEDs on with the reverse lights.  This weekend I plan on putting in some interior lights, maybe augmenting the bed lights and I have some ribbon LEDs on order for step lights.

Now, my question is about wiring the step lights.  I have seen where folks are wiring them to the gray wire so they come on with the dome lights.  I was just wondering of there would be any pros or cons to instead wiring them to the cargo lights and if that was easily done from the underside of the truck.  

I guess my thought was the lights wouldn't come on at night if you are driving down the road and someone turns on the dome lights.  Maybe this doesn't happen anyway which is why I'm asking.  I'm probably overthinking it but figured I'd ask those with more experience.

I understand what you're saying about the form having a wealth of information, my pet peeve would be the same as yours Plus the point that so many times people ask questions about a problem described a problem and then they said they fixed it but they never say how they fixed it, or follow up on something that's been in a thread forever. Everybody's input is important and everybody's repair result may be different trying to achieve the same goal. But that's the internet

I had mine wired to cargo but when I got a canopy on I could no longer use diode as it would be too bright in the back when backing up.

So I used the rubber gormet near driver side door and ran my wiring through there then to the 4 door step lighting.

Now it’s on dome light circuit and I love how it all turned out.

b873905f5d37ab645c2ef0e77f692bfa.jpg

• Like 1

I had mine wired to cargo but when I got a canopy on I could no longer use diode as it would be too bright in the back when backing up.

So I used the rubber gormet near driver side door and ran my wiring through there then to the 4 door step lighting.

Thanks for the input. So did it function differently when you had it wired to the cargo light? If you didn't have a cannot anymore, would you go back to that wiring or keep it as it is?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Leave as is; it’s hard wired in which I would prefer. Very easy to do this as well.

Right, I just meant function-wise. Do you like it better hooked up to the dome lights versus the cargo lights?

Right, I just meant function-wise. Do you like it better hooked up to the dome lights versus the cargo lights?

When I had it wired back to the cargo lights, I had to run two diodes.

1 to have cargo lamps go on with reverse lights
1 to have reverse lights go on with cargo lamps

This allowed me to get the cargo lamps (along with my step lighting) on when I locked or unlocked the truck.

But when adding the canopy, like stated I couldn’t do this anymore.

I can’t remember if when I had this done if the lights would turn on ANY time doors would open.

But I do know the step lighting system fires on perfectly when doors open if I tie direct into the dome light circuit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 9:21 AM, WesternMike said:

Any chance you have photos of how you ran the wires through the grommet?  I think I found the grommet you speak of but I just want to be sure.  For the passenger side, did you just string a wire from the driver's side or did you run a separate wire from the passenger side through the grommet over there?

I mounted an LED strip above the running boards per wifes request. They come on when hit unlock button or open doors. I stuck a long screwdriver through the grommet and attached wire then pulled it through then tapped into dome lights. Overall easy mod and pleased how bright they are and wife is happy now that she can see where she is stepping. d65b883da3beb189f51d7a66b03232c0.jpg

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Gotcha. So I guess the only thing I'm left wondering is how you strung the wire under the truck to the passenger side. Any tips or things to be wary of? Probably be doing this mod this weekend. Thanks

Thanks fellas.  Got the install done yesterday.  Not as clean as I'd like it but I just wanted to get it done just to make sure everything worked and I liked the lights I chose.  I'll go back and tidy stuff up later.  Overall, pretty happy with the results.  Both the step lights and under dash/seat lighting inside.

S9muSydeP3OfmWW3REIInOLk9mPVteAE_3xDGj9Z

Phone camera makes it look a bit brighter than it really is 

• Like 1

i'm waiting on my floor lighting to show up .. so i can install!!!.. looks great Colonel00!...... if that goes well i might do the side steps as well!.. .again, great look!

Thanks fellas.  Got the install done yesterday.  Not as clean as I'd like it but I just wanted to get it done just to make sure everything worked and I liked the lights I chose.  I'll go back and tidy stuff up later.  Overall, pretty happy with the results.  Both the step lights and under dash/seat lighting inside.

S9muSydeP3OfmWW3REIInOLk9mPVteAE_3xDGj9ZzU7R9bNh2M5ScDirl6X15fip_V26E4_xU0JHcQKiV1kDUV06Vvr41KxkRYBGsA-SonYo4bYO9l-7LEB-zxSoZj8fdmSWktRjiw7VpoJbTeIO-FjTADisdmPaT6REyi9Jvh58uuZ-UpIF2dvbcQehzx9GKSnyQzv-CFt5iNXaGzPaw5in1MB0dYUrNNpxgcRv2Y8oTG6E9HOo9LF0EHD9wRl2NYjIMfCgD2QU4NEEeGOMBBIOKvj4adAnqacOCXgRB9kiHf48PE43IWt5EDlW4bP_blliJIC-D71VuQ46sgpdfeAI5kgoWU-HKRf7JpcXLf6v7r4Dp-45uMNvzla5FsOM7PbBMlVHiw3zrHExNiFUpKHHLJPM9iiUjC65f7m8WiU_xRmd4cnxHs79Z2gny4DplxAeii3HINrAIlovqASNc09RTuI-icOHPH5mtKUV6nMba-dwTG30my6_ROckJqPmRTEKvwQNeLeCdj3NuwJi76FbSEF8rw5Dd3IqOUu1Dc4ZX7wSl6-waKVh-akCHhsrsC3Ij2aTA57iOb0QNITz9e6KjSB-DYdO2TJJzyFCsRBJz9CstncYWSENlXFv6QesDAlE3daVI033oGg7jSTlv38iugRTbirWJA=w2324-h1307-no

Phone camera makes it look a bit brighter than it really is 

Looks just like mine, a job well done brother.