Fuel Injectors ?

My 2014 Chevy Silverado had 58K miles on it when I had the same issue. They replaced 2 injectors the first time and a week later another one went bad. They eventually replaced all of the injectors and luckily I purchased an extended warranty from USAA when I purchased the truck new in 2014. So far the extended warranty has paid out over $2600 total for the repairs and rental car. I had a rental for 2 weeks the second time because they didn't have any injectors in stock??????

The truck is running great now but I am afraid this problem will show up again down the road. I will probably trade the truck on a new Dodge RAM later this year. My wife's 2013 Hyundai Sonata with over 60K miles has direct injection and has never had an issue with fuel injectors.

My 2014 Chevy Silverado had 58K miles on it when I had the same issue. They replaced 2 injectors the first time and a week later another one went bad. They eventually replaced all of the injectors and luckily I purchased an extended warranty from USAA when I purchased the truck new in 2014. So far the extended warranty has paid out over $2600 total for the repairs and rental car. I had a rental for 2 weeks the second time because they didn't have any injectors in stock??????

The truck is running great now but I am afraid this problem will show up again down the road. I will probably trade the truck on a new Dodge RAM later this year. My wife's 2013 Hyundai Sonata with over 60K miles has direct injection and has never had an issue with fuel injectors.

But Gm says they don’t have injector issues...... blame it on the gas you use. Lol

8 hours ago, Bigmike46 said:

$2,600 to have your fuel injectors replaced? 

The labor is about ...... 30 minutes total? 

Parts: $35 total for all 8 injectors, with free shipping. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12613412-8pcs-Fuel-Injector-For-Chevolet-Express-Silverado-Suburban-2010-2018/112935653503?fits=Year%3A2014|Make%3AChevrolet|Model%3ASilverado+2500&epid=18010376600&hash=item1a4b7d507f%3Ag%3AvAoAAOSwPapbE6CX&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=2014+Chevy+Silverado+fuel+injectors+8&LH_ItemCondition=3&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Edited by starman8tdc

Book calls for 4.6 hours to replace 2.

Gm ac delco from rock auto it like 78ish bucks each.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, starman8tdc said:

If there is carbon deposits on your pistons that is smashing the spark plugs, I would either use SeaFoam to steam clean the pistons, or stick something in the spark plug hole to scrape the piston clean, or get a comparable plug that has slightly shorter thread depth. After that, get yourself a catch-can to prevent this from happening again. I just replaced a newer Chevy truck motor, and I was amazed how much oil was in the intake plenum and intake ports in the head. That all turns into carbon the the pistons and head. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Square-Oil-Catch-Can-Reservoir-Tank-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Lancer-Evo-Dsm/370907880575?hash=item565bd51c7f:g:hvsAAOSwVtZaFcBk:sc:USPSPriorityMailPaddedFlatRateEnvelope!98292!US!-1

They are soaking/ cleaning carbon off (no charge to me because I have authorized anything to be done!!) say that the 2 injectors was bad ( I wander if someone just messed up a gasket or seal and just say bad injector idk)

What does this catch can do? Or do you have a link that is informative? On my phone app is kinda hard to sift thru stuff

Edited by txab

Hi, 

Well - basically a catch can reduces the amount of oil that enters your cylinders. An OEM engine sucks the oil fumes from the crank case into the intake (usually via the PCV valve), and burns those fumes in the combustion process. The oil fumes stick to everything, and forms carbon deposits on the piston and head. That carbon can cause pinging (detonation), spark plug damage, piston slap,  and so on. 

The catch can is a "filter" to remove the oil from the crank case vent fumes, before those fumes enter the intake plenum. 

The catch can needs to be emptied every so often, which is easy to do. 

Here are some pics and a link: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Square-Oil-Catch-Can-Reservoir-Tank-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Lancer-Evo-Dsm/370907880575?hash=item565bd51c7f%3Ag%3A-pkAAOSw2FVbRpFR%3Asc%3AUSPSPriorityFlatRateEnvelope!98292!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=chrome+catch+can&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xchrome+catch+can.TRS1.TSS0

catch can Nivos.JPG

Q12.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

30 minutes ago, YJSONLY said:

Book calls for 4.6 hours to replace 2.

Gm ac delco from rock auto it like 78ish bucks each.

4.6 hours? WOW! I have never seen any injectors that were not easily accessible. Learn something every day. Any chance you could upload some pics or repair instructions? 

As for the more expensive injectors, I would not go that route - but that's just me. I have had good luck with the cheap injectors on many rigs. 

4.6 hours? WOW! I have never seen any injectors that were not easily accessible. Learn something every day. Any chance you could upload some pics or repair instructions? 

As for the more expensive injectors, I would not go that route - but that's just me. I have had good luck with the cheap injectors on many rigs. 

These injectors sit under the intake

2 hours ago, YJSONLY said:

These injectors sit under the intake

The new design doesn't look difficult to work on, but it would be a little more time consuming to repair. Pulling those injectors looks like it would be about the same as replacing the knock sensors on a 5.3L (generation 3).

Looks like some of the direct injection engines have specially designed pistons as well. 

From what i'm seeing, some vehicles have both direct and port injectors on the same cylinders. 

I look forward to working on one, it would be an interesting engine to take apart.

Check out the pics: 

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

D4D4S_DirectInjection_30Jan17-3-626x630.jpg

Dual-Injection-Port-and-Direct-Lead-626x383.jpg

15 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

That was the total price for 2 visits to the dealership and 2 rental cars. The first visit was 2 injectors and the second was 6. I have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts for the second visit. I agree, it shouldn't cost that much but those are dealership prices. I am just glad I didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.

30 minutes ago, Bigmike46 said:

That was the total price for 2 visits to the dealership and 2 rental cars. The first visit was 2 injectors and the second was 6. I have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts for the second visit. I agree, it shouldn't cost that much but those are dealership prices. I am just glad I didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.

Do you know if your engine has direct injection or port injection? If its direct injection, then the install time would be a bit longer, but still - the bill is extremely high. Your right, the dealership charges a lot. I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to pay for it.