Fuel Injectors ?

2 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

Good info, thanks for posting. 

From what I have read, the direct injections systems are definitely superior to all the predecessors. I have been working on various cars for decades, but I have not had any issues come up with that particular fuel system. 

I will definitely study the system well before taking one apart. 

It's funny you mention you haven't seen any issues yet, I haven't either. I ran into a code on a Hyundai a year ago and it pointed to the high pressure fuel pump, that's about it. Most of the complaints I hear about is the noise of the system.

I imagine most issues are still being handled by dealers because on some cars it's still relatively new. But Audi has been using it for years, haven't seen many issues except for worn followers on the cam. Come to think of it BMW was having some high pressure fuel pump problems with the 535...and some destroyed cams.

• 7 months later...

I am having the same problem with my 2016 it started about 4 months ago with only 47k miles now; after replacing spark plugs, o2 sensors and going crazy... dealer told me I have a bad injector # 7 however the recommend to replace all 8 injectors and while we are at it replace the fuel lines at a "discounted" price of only $1800.  ( it stinks to be asked to pay that much for truck you are still making payments on)

The service adviser pulled all the lame excuses; he even told me I have been putting some bad gas in there, I told him that it was the same gas that goes into the rest of the cars in my household and none of the other cars have any issues. (a Ford and a Honda that are running like champs with more miles)

Gordon and Partners is a law firm that has a office in the same building where I work; they have filed class action law suet in the past against car makers before for problems such as this one... as son as get around to it I will let you all know if we have a case and see if you would like to participate.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:03 PM, Doublebase said:

Come to think of it BMW was having some high pressure fuel pump problems with the 535...and some destroyed cams.

Far more than the 535.  Anything with an N54 engine (which went in the 135, 1M, 335, Z4, X5 and perhaps others) all had HPFP issues to where BMW extended the factory warranty on them.  It is a guarantee that the early units will fail...though most have been replaced by now.  The latest revisions seem to be more durable.

Their DI injectors are also suspect and use the same injectors on a number of different engines.  They are up to Index 12 injectors now, with multiple part numbers per index, so there have been a ton of revisions due to how bad their injectors survive.

Fortunately, the GM injectors are very inexpensive compared to the BMW units...about 1/5th the price.  You can replace all 8 GM injectors for under $400.

• 7 months later...

My 2018 Yukon was diagnosed by independent GM-certified shop to have entire bank of injectors to be out of spec. It rough idles, but no codes. Guess, what did GM say... dealer tested and rough idle is “within GM spec”. I am looking at the report prescribing them to replace bank of injectors... they are simply instructed but GM not to perform expensive repairs on injectors, and dismiss them by “spec”. Nobody has ever seen this spec... truck is 8 month old and 9000 miles...