Frame wax coating repaired under warranty

5 hours ago, Rock1500 said:

Do you just apply it over the areas or do you need to prep it first?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That depends.  If you have the problem described in the TSB, (areas of the wax not sticking to the chassis) GM recommends prepping the surface first.  I just apply the coating directly to the frame (after cleaning) for repairing small areas where the coating has rubbed off, ect..     

• 3 months later...

2017 silverado with the same frame coating issues everyone has been talking about. I'll post photos a bit later.

I just had my frame coating mostly repaired at my local dealer. They gave me a new chevy cruise to drive. I gave them fair warning that I am a bit picky and that I have taken photos and will be taking photos of the work.. 

I ended up refusing pick up twice because portions of the frame were either missed or just sprayed over the existing flaking material. At the second refusal I noticed that both catalitic converters and portions of exhaust had been hit with overspray as well as the driveshaft, side steps, and rear door... I told them they needed to do better and will be cleaning it up...

The day I picked up the truck I found that I still had cracked frame coating with could see rust visible at the rear bed tube, oh  and the exhaust still had overspray on it.

I was told the shop had twice the amount of time into the truck as the TSB allowed and that they can't do any better.

I was told the exhaust was cleaned the best they could do, "those aren't cataliics copnverters" (without them even looking at it and I'm a mechanic! lol), that any smell would burn off in no time and not to worry it wont catch fire

I asked to see the materials they used so that I could do the rest of the repair myself. The shop tech came back and gave me what was left of the three cans about half full of the stuff.

Three days later the truck still smells to the point I have to roll every window down when I stop a long light. (It was 35 degrees out this morning)

I've contacted the body shop this morning to give them opportunity to resolve the issue. After that fun conversation... I called GM corp and opened a claim with them. 

thoughts?

15 minutes ago, JMarquis said:

2017 silverado with the same frame coating issues everyone has been talking about. I'll post photos a bit later.

I just had my frame coating mostly repaired at my local dealer. They gave me a new chevy cruise to drive. I gave them fair warning that I am a bit picky and that I have taken photos and will be taking photos of the work.. 

I ended up refusing pick up twice because portions of the frame were either missed or just sprayed over the existing flaking material. At the second refusal I noticed that both catalitic converters and portions of exhaust had been hit with overspray as well as the driveshaft, side steps, and rear door... I told them they needed to do better and will be cleaning it up...

The day I picked up the truck I found that I still had cracked frame coating with could see rust visible at the rear bed tube, oh  and the exhaust still had overspray on it.

I was told the shop had twice the amount of time into the truck as the TSB allowed and that they can't do any better.

I was told the exhaust was cleaned the best they could do, "those aren't cataliics copnverters" (without them even looking at it and I'm a mechanic! lol), that any smell would burn off in no time and not to worry it wont catch fire

I asked to see the materials they used so that I could do the rest of the repair myself. The shop tech came back and gave me what was left of the three cans about half full of the stuff.

Three days later the truck still smells to the point I have to roll every window down when I stop a long light. (It was 35 degrees out this morning)

I've contacted the body shop this morning to give them opportunity to resolve the issue. After that fun conversation... I called GM corp and opened a claim with them. 

thoughts?

Dick.  ?

Just kidding.....give 'em hell!

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2018 at 12:23 PM, JMarquis said:

thoughts?

Any updates on this thinking about taking my truck in for the TSB....