Vacuum Pump Replacement/Diagnosis

So I have had my truck into Dealer on multiple occasions for what sounded like a lifter tick. This ticking noise was loudest in the morning first thing when starting engine. With the hood open it sounds like a lifter sticking and coming from under valve cover. You also can hear it through the drivers side wheel opening. Since the dealer has recently replaced all lifters I decided to go ahead and replace the vacuum pump. I purchased one from Amazon for $128.83 and a Lisle Stretch belt tool 59370 for $15.00.

ACDelco 12669488 GM Original Equipment Vacuum Pump and Lisle 59370 Stretch Belt Tool

Upon start-up the loud ticking noise is gone. I can still hear the injector noise but it is not very loud compared to this noise I have been chasing for some time now. We will see how long this new designed pump lasts. It does not look as beefy as the original but if there is no noise I will be very happy.

file-3 (9).jpeg

file2-2.jpeg

• Like 1

Good to know. I have always thought that my truck makes a louder tick than the others that I have been around. Maybe this is a good preventative maintenance item to do. I do have over 100k on mine. The price is not so expensive that it makes it prohibitive.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:15 PM, grizz_wi said:

Did your noise sound like this? New vacuum pump fixed my sound.

Mine was louder and cold start was really bad. Could hear through wheel opening on drivers side. Pump is on the front drivers side of engine.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2018 at 7:04 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Was it difficult to replace?

How long did it take?

It took about two hours. It's very difficult to get the back two bolts tightened back up. Take your time and you can do it.

• 2 weeks later...