Vacuum Pump Replacement/Diagnosis

My 6.2 is starting to make a similar noise at idle, mostly when its still warming up.   Yesterday i was moving my truck around in the driveway and it was idling for a couple mins, t Stat was well on its way to the normal 210 degrees and it was still making the noise.  

I'm due for an oil change and plan on going on this week.   Will see what they say.   

42k miles. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, 6.2_GMC_DEN said:

So I have had my truck into Dealer on multiple occasions for what sounded like a lifter tick. This ticking noise was loudest in the morning first thing when starting engine. With the hood open it sounds like a lifter sticking and coming from under valve cover. You also can hear it through the drivers side wheel opening.

Just had mine replaced at 38K, the failure was written us part of my accident claim but I knowi have heard that ticking before. When I go to check out the truck tomorrow I will seeif it still has that tick. Great info thanks!

And news on your ticking?

On 10/4/2018 at 3:26 PM, rgoldberg said:

Just had mine replaced at 38K, the failure was written us part of my accident claim but I knowi have heard that ticking before. When I go to check out the truck tomorrow I will seeif it still has that tick. Great info thanks!

Any news on your tick?

1 hour ago, lehardee said:

And news on your ticking?

Any news on your tick?

I stopped by friday to check on everything as they said it was ready. On start up and warm up i didnt hear the ticking, nothing noticable. I will say i was preoccupied with the shitty body work and the dealers attempt to say it was ready. 

• 2 weeks later...

My truck is a 2016 5.3 with 26k and I've had the vacuum pump tick for about 20k miles. I've complained to the dealer for each of the last 3 oil changes and they say it's normal. What did you guys tell the dealer to get them to look at the issue seriously?

Edited by DanJS10

On 10/27/2018 at 10:04 AM, DanJS10 said:

My truck is a 2016 5.3 with 26k and I've had the vacuum pump tick for about 20k miles. I've complained to the dealer for each of the last 3 oil changes and they say it's normal. What did you guys tell the dealer to get them to look at the issue seriously?

I Took a video of the ticking and brought it to another dealer,I told them I already know it's the vacuum pump and they confirmed the noise and swapped the pump. Haven't heard the noise since. I left multiple bad reviews for my dealer and chewed them out via email. Won't buy shit them them ever again. Certain dealers just don't care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizz_wi said:

I Took a video of the ticking and brought it to another dealer,I told them I already know it's the vacuum pump and they confirmed the noise and swapped the pump. Haven't heard the noise since. I left multiple bad reviews for my dealer and chewed them out via email. Won't buy shit them them ever again. Certain dealers just don't care.

Thanks for the advice. I figured it would take a video to prove to these morons that it's not a normal noise. This dealer is definitely one of the shitty ones that don't care. 

• 2 months later...

replaced mine yesterday for anyone that wants to do it them selves sambone95 did a good write up in the how to section , i disassembled the old pump and it is easy to see why these things are failing this is the cheapest and worst design of a pump that i have ever seen. i will try and post some pic's later

IMG_20190113_1452223.jpg

IMG_20190113_1452409.jpg

IMG_20190113_1452564.jpg

Edited by silveradosid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2