Vacuum Pump Replacement/Diagnosis

Just had to take my truck in for this same problem. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. How do they make the steering electric and then decide to put the vacuum pump on a belt? Why don't these trucks come with the electric pump like on the Camaro's and Corvette's? I'm at 81,000 miles. My wife keeps asking why my truck is in the shop every month and I told her apparently GM put corporate profit in front of customer safety on every single major component on this truck. I've replaced...

Steering Wheel

Steering Column

Complete electric steering rack

AC Condensor

Oil Pan twice, first time they used gasket gel and it didn't seal, so had to replace two piece oil pan

Rear end drive shaft bearing twice

Complete rear end blow up and replacement of all gears

rear end leaking from diff cover

driver seat I had to put the hose clamps on

Now the vacuum pump, lines and master all have to be replaced.

For 80,000 miles this is a piece of you know what. My 2004 GMC sierra had no issues by this many miles. The trans in the 04 did need to be rebuilt at 85,000 miles but I can't imagine this trans is going to last any longer.

• Sad 1

replaced mine yesterday for anyone that wants to do it them selves sambone95 did a good write up in the how to section , i disassembled the old pump and it is easy to see why these things are failing this is the cheapest and worst design of a pump that i have ever seen. i will try and post some pic's later

IMG_20190113_1452223.thumb.jpg.21e07b407ee877eea6c2b7a045edfc92.jpg

IMG_20190113_1452409.thumb.jpg.d36efb7344b344df471deec5d35e5d14.jpg

IMG_20190113_1452564.thumb.jpg.fdc855ddd4be3d76a9601e4b47540af8.jpg

Did you replace with another GM original or find a better looking aftermarket version? The GM parts sites list a new part number, don't know if this is an improvement over original.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Mine had the tick from day 1. Getting replaced under their extended warranty today. 

So it didn't need to fail for the dealer to replace under warranty?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, ridethedesert said:

Just had to take my truck in for this same problem. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. How do they make the steering electric and then decide to put the vacuum pump on a belt? Why don't these trucks come with the electric pump like on the Camaro's and Corvette's? I'm at 81,000 miles. My wife keeps asking why my truck is in the shop every month and I told her apparently GM put corporate profit in front of customer safety on every single major component on this truck. I've replaced...

Steering Wheel

Steering Column

AC Condensor

Oil Pan twice, first time they used gasket gel and it didn't seal, so had to replace two piece oil pan

For 80,000 miles this is a piece of you know what. My 2004 GMC sierra had no issues by this many miles. The trans in the 04 did need to be rebuilt at 85,000 miles but I can't imagine this trans is going to last any longer.

yes I tell everyone I meet who wants a cchevy truck to buy the pre-Direct injection models before 2014, get a 6.0L 2500 or the trusty 5.3 with fuel injectors.. simple is better, 

13 hours ago, DeePa said:

also, they replaced an oil cooler line under warranty. Leaking at the crimps. 

This seems to be common on earlier 14 and 15 models.

Had the same lines replaced on mine under warranty.

22 hours ago, flyingfool said:

yes I tell everyone I meet who wants a cchevy truck to buy the pre-Direct injection models before 2014, get a 6.0L 2500 or the trusty 5.3 with fuel injectors.. simple is better, 

GMT900 Trucks/Suv's had/have some issues as well.

They have AFM and there are oil consumption problems here and there.

• Like 1

they all have issues, but the older trucks are easier to work on and repair, or modify , the new gens are getting too advanced for thier own good and becoming less reliable with high tech advancments which GM is constantly adding to thier cars and trucks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 8:13 AM, Sierra Dan said:

This seems to be common on earlier 14 and 15 models.

Had the same lines replaced on mine under warranty.

There was an issue with transmission lines leaking. I remember GM having dealers inspecting them for signs of a leak.  There was a separate issue with leaking engine oil lines leaking?

On 3/19/2019 at 10:52 AM, ridethedesert said:

Steering Wheel

Steering Column

AC Condensor

Damn that's crazy. I can't believe how many problems you've had. I guess I lucked out with mine.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, flyingfool said:

they all have issues, but the older trucks are easier to work on and repair, or modify , the new gens are getting too advanced for thier own good and becoming less reliable with high tech advancments which GM is constantly adding to thier cars and trucks. 

What would you modify on a GMT900 that's too difficult to do on a K2? The engine isn't that difficult to modify. Guys are swapping these DI 5.3's into old Jeeps so it's not that difficult. Old timers used to hate fuel injection because they were "too advanced" and "hard to work on". Good riddance to carburetors.