New Truck Owner

If it doesn't say on the window, you need to ask the dealer to verify what gears the truck has.

The new ones have a QR code you can scan look for the codes for axle ratio:

GU4    Axle Rear    3.08
GU5    Axle Rear    3.23
GU6    Axle Rear    3.42

32 minutes ago, aseibel said:

If it doesn't say on the window, you need to ask the dealer to verify what gears the truck has.

The new ones have a QR code you can scan look for the codes for axle ratio:

GU4    Axle Rear    3.08
GU5    Axle Rear    3.23
GU6    Axle Rear    3.42

Oh so theres an app for your phone u can scan it off the window and read it on your phone? 

Hey guys question, so I just discovered the vin decoder and have been using it on trucks on cars.com that meet my criteria. Unfortunately, I do not see the locking differential (although some advertisements do show Heavy duty locking differential) on the cars.com page. Is there a way to tell from the Vin decoder which ones have the locking differential? Also, is a 3.23 axle ratio suitable for the boat towing up to 8000 lbs or should i be considering 3.42?

Thanks again for all your time answering my questions.

Edited by ChuckTuna

43 minutes ago, ChuckTuna said:

Hey guys question, so I just discovered the vin decoder and have been using it on trucks on cars.com that meet my criteria. Unfortunately, I do not see the locking differential (although some advertisements do show Heavy duty locking differential) on the cars.com page. Is there a way to tell from the Vin decoder which ones have the locking differential? Also, is a 3.23 axle ratio suitable for the boat towing up to 8000 lbs or should i be considering 3.42?

If you're looking at a 2014-2018 you won't get 3.23 unless you're looking at a v6 or 6.2.  

If it's a 5.3, make sure it has 3.42 or 3.73.  A lot of the ratio choices were dependant on what transmission.  

You can also look at RPO codes, someone said they're in the driver's door jamb.  On mine it's older and they're on the glovebox door.  G80 would be for a locking rear diff, gu6 for 3.42 or gt4 for 3.73.  

A lot of towing depends on what you're towing. A boat for example will pull a lot better and easier than a same weight enclosed trailer.  A 2wd 5.3 6 speed with 3.42 gears will do just fine for you.  2016 started the 8 speed on 5.3s and they'll tow a little better.  

Sweet thank you for the thoughtful response. Yes I am looking at the 2018 models. I hope to pick one up later this year. I'm curious now if the VIN listing is messed up because I set it specifically for V8 and just about every truck I looked at had 3.23 listed in the specifications. I'm gonna be QrCoding every truck trying to hide my cards if I find what I'm looking for. 

Thanks for all your responses you've been very helpful.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 7:47 AM, amxguy1970 said:

4wd is not worth the cost unless it is used fairly regularly. It is nearly a $4k option and you will get maybe half that back on resale (many people boast that is the reason to get it but you are basically spending $1 to get back $.050). Then there is the added cost of financing another $4k, the mpg hit, maintenance costs,, increased insurance and if anything goes out (ever seen the cost of a transfer case or front axle?) the cost to replace. It is much cheaper to pay for a tow the maybe 2 times you may need it for $100 than the 4wd option. We have been boating most of our lives (towing a boat at or close to the limits for most of them), only twice have we needed 4wd and 1 of them it would have done any good (the trailer fell off the end of the ramp under water, it took 2 trucks to tow us with the boat off the trailer).

Most ramps at well used places are grooved concrete, no real traction problems. If it is a shallow ramp where your tires are in the water chances are it is again grooved concrete as well as it is shallow so it isn't like you are trying to pull up a steep ramp from in the water on algae covered asphalt. Many people buy 4wd as an image purchase, especially below the mason dixon line. Granted if you are pulling a large boat near the limits then yeah it can be a benefit but most people are well with in the tow limits on boat size and 4wd isn't doing them any favors. People have been pulling boats with cars and 2wd since the start of time at worse ramps, why all of a sudden now is 4wd mandatory? Make sure it has the G80, it most likely should. That had been used more than 4wd.

Tyler

Yeah those image conscious people in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky . . . could **never** appropriately use 4WD.

Thank you all for the posts. I'm excited still about being able to buy one in the future and I think I know what I want. I probably will wait til this time next year but I still read these forums all the time. 

ChuckTuna,

Hope your search goes well! I think the 5.3 would be fine pulling that weight, I have one in my '99 with 3.73s which if I recall only has 270HP. Any of the pickups your looking at will have nearly 100HP on mine and at least 2 more gears, and mine does the job fine. I pull loads routinely in 6000# range, few times at 9000#. 2WD vs 4WD is really a matter of usage, I'm not familiar with California, but for myself 4WD is useful in winter and can be useful even for moving trailers when your not on the pavement. With the AFM/DFM, I can't voice an opinion, but my dad's '09 Dodge 1500 with their version hasn't given him any problems if that helps. I'm young and no where near as experienced as others on here, but hope I helped some! 

On 8/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, PrairieGM said:

ChuckTuna,

Hope your search goes well! I think the 5.3 would be fine pulling that weight, I have one in my '99 with 3.73s which if I recall only has 270HP. Any of the pickups your looking at will have nearly 100HP on mine and at least 2 more gears, and mine does the job fine. I pull loads routinely in 6000# range, few times at 9000#. 2WD vs 4WD is really a matter of usage, I'm not familiar with California, but for myself 4WD is useful in winter and can be useful even for moving trailers when your not on the pavement. With the AFM/DFM, I can't voice an opinion, but my dad's '09 Dodge 1500 with their version hasn't given him any problems if that helps. I'm young and no where near as experienced as others on here, but hope I helped some! 

Thanks for taking time to respond. That makes me glad to hear. I'm still checking in to read people's responses even though I'm not in the market til next year basically. Everyone on this thread has contributed useful information I feel and I will definitely use it when it's time!

ChuckTuna

I did forget to mention that I have rear air bag helpers to counter sag that came with the pickup. Those were immensely helpful to towing, and if you do go that route (if at all) I would suggest on board air to make it easier to adjust. Half tons can be pretty soft, but I don't have experience with the newer GMs and their suspensions. Have a good one. 

On 6/18/2018 at 1:28 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Something to consider in  the 4x2 vs 4x4 category, especially when launching a boat is traction at that location.

This is where a 4x4 would come in handy. If the slope is steep and or wet.

You can get by with a 4x2 if the launch is dry and has plenty of traction.

Having a 4x4 on wet and smoother services is just added insurance.

Then again if you back down too far with a 4x4 prepare for a full truck wash!

2016-chevy-silverado-sinks-boat-ramp-640x323.png

My family boats every weekend and I am constantly amazed at the number of tire burners on the ramp trying to pull their boat out in 2WD when they're in a 4WD.  Mine is in 4 low every time, in and out.  I'd prefer to have a bit of annoyance shifting back and forth than the bit of annoyance the owner of that white truck had.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2018 at 8:19 PM, ChuckTuna said:

Chuck, my 21' boat with full gear and full fuel runs pretty close to #6500 and I have no problems whatsoever pulling it. 

At least twice a year we pull it 7 hours to a large lake in Kentucky and I can still average 12-14 MPG pulling it running 65-70 MPH.

4 hours ago, Darmichar said:

Chuck, my 21' boat with full gear and full fuel runs pretty close to #6500 and I have no problems whatsoever pulling it. 

At least twice a year we pull it 7 hours to a large lake in Kentucky and I can still average 12-14 MPG pulling it running 65-70 MPH.

Thanks for taking time to respond. Do you have a 2014 Silverado LT with a 3.08 gear ratio? I haven't researched much into that truck as I hoped to buy an '18 originally. I am almost positive that I will buy a '19 or '20 at this point in time. 

Also, I have never been to that part of the country, is Kentucky flat land with occasional hills?

Thanks for your imput,

Chuck

57 minutes ago, ChuckTuna said:

Thanks for taking time to respond. Do you have a 2014 Silverado LT with a 3.08 gear ratio? I haven't researched much into that truck as I hoped to buy an '18 originally. I am almost positive that I will buy a '19 or '20 at this point in time. 

Also, I have never been to that part of the country, is Kentucky flat land with occasional hills?

Thanks for your imput,

Chuck

I’m honestly not sure what gear mine has, but yes it’s the 2014 LT with a 5.3L. If I get a chance tonight I’ll look at the codes and try to decipher mine. 

When we go, we go from Central Illinois over to Indianapolis, then south through Louisville Kentucky to Lake Cumberland. The Illinois/Indiana leg is pretty flat, south of Louisville all the way to the lake is rolling hills but they’re long hills.