2019 Transmission and Axle Ratios

15 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

For 35's, most guys driving K2 (14-18 trucks) recommend at least 3.73's if you have a 6 speed transmission. A 2019 truck with the 5.3, 8 speed, and 3.23's has better gearing than the 6-speed with 3.73's and comes close to the gearing advantage of the 6-speed with 4.10's. It will have no issue with 35's for 99% of the population.

Depends on what gear you're looking at, certainly not for 1st.  

99% of the population will think a 5.3 8 speed with 3.23s is a turd.  Not many bragged about a 5.3 6 speed with 3.42s, this isn't much different.  Why did a second thread about this start anyways??? 

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

99% of the population will think a 5.3 8 speed with 3.23s is a turd.  Not many bragged about a 5.3 6 speed with 3.42s, this isn't much different.  Why did a second thread about this start anyways??? 

I made this thread as a reference so people know how the new transmission and axle ratios compare to the 6-speed and axle combos. It's not meant to be a debate thread.

11 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

The other thread was nothing but a massive tantrum. It was a rant fest over axle ratios, filled with lots of misinformation. This is thread is primarily for reference.

People expressing their disappointment with how GM is packaging their trucks is a tantrum? Wow.  How else would the manufacturer know where they messed up or what their customers want to see changed?  Do you really think that no one at GM goes out and looks at forums like this? I promise you they do.  

The other thread was full if misinformation and half truths, but a lot of it came from you.  

I can't figure out if you are such a fanboy you just accept everything they tell you is the best or if you're so self absorbed you can't or won't consider that someone may have different wants or needs than you.  

9 hours ago, shift_grind said:

People expressing their disappointment with how GM is packaging their trucks is a tantrum? Wow. 

I guess you didn't notice all the caps locked ranting the creator of the thread made. Or all the misleading  gear ratios he used as an example. 3.73's is a special order axle ratio that would drive the cost of an F-150 as high or higher than the cost to regear a 2019 GM truck. The Ram offers 3.92's but the truck is going to weigh close to 400 lbs more than a GM half-ton and it's powered by an engine that hasn't changed in nearly 10 years.

How else would the manufacturer know where they messed up or what their customers want to see changed?  Do you really think that no one at GM goes out and looks at forums like this? I promise you they do.  

They might look at it, but they aren't going to do anything about it. Guys have been complaining for the last 20 years that the wheel well openings are too small to fit 33's, but GM has never done anything about that. Guys have been complaining about the wax coated frames more than they've complained about axle ratio options, but the 2019 GM half-tons still have wax dipped.  GM has to meet CAFE regulations or pay a hefty penalty and the axle ratio's they offer are the result of that. That's why you won't find a 2018 F-150 10-speed truck with 3.73's sitting on the lot. It's a special order option that ultimately costs as much as a regear job would.

The other thread was full if misinformation and half truths, but a lot of it came from you.

I provided sources and data to back up my comments. The only thing I was wrong about is that you can order a 2018 Sierra with the 8-speed and 3.42's without the max tow package. You special order the truck with a "premium" package loaded with a bunch of junk (like cheap looking chrome clad 22" wheels) that adds $7-8k to the price, but yes you can get the 5.3+8-speed+3.42's without the max tow package. My bad I guess. Most guys would just save $6k by paying the $1500 or so for the max tow package if they wanted a 5.3 + 8L90 + 3.42's.

10 hours ago, shift_grind said:

I can't figure out if you are such a fanboy you just accept everything they tell you is the best or if you're so self absorbed you can't or won't consider that someone may have different wants or needs than you

I'm just a realist that realizes that truck manufacturers have to meet CAFE regulations. The requirements under CAFE get stricter each and every year. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:05 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

I guess you didn't notice all the caps locked ranting the creator of the thread made. Or all the misleading  gear ratios he used as an example. 3.73's is a special order axle ratio that would drive the cost of an F-150 as high or higher than the cost to regear a 2019 GM truck. The Ram offers 3.92's but the truck is going to weigh close to 400 lbs more than a GM half-ton and it's powered by an engine that hasn't changed in nearly 10 years.

They might look at it, but they aren't going to do anything about it. Guys have been complaining for the last 20 years that the wheel well openings are too small to fit 33's, but GM has never done anything about that. Guys have been complaining about the wax coated frames more than they've complained about axle ratio options, but the 2019 GM half-tons still have wax dipped.  GM has to meet CAFE regulations or pay a hefty penalty and the axle ratio's they offer are the result of that. That's why you won't find a 2018 F-150 10-speed truck with 3.73's sitting on the lot. It's a special order option that ultimately costs as much as a regear job would.

I provided sources and data to back up my comments. The only thing I was wrong about is that you can order a 2018 Sierra with the 8-speed and 3.42's without the max tow package. You special order the truck with a "premium" package loaded with a bunch of junk (like cheap looking chrome clad 22" wheels) that adds $7-8k to the price, but yes you can get the 5.3+8-speed+3.42's without the max tow package. My bad I guess. Most guys would just save $6k by paying the $1500 or so for the max tow package if they wanted a 5.3 + 8L90 + 3.42's.

I'm just a realist that realizes that truck manufacturers have to meet CAFE regulations. The requirements under CAFE get stricter each and every year. 

Ugh.  I'm done with this topic.  I'm tired of shaking my head when I read your responses that are exxagerations, incorrect or stretched truths.  

I'll add only one thing since it's something new you brought up.  People had complained about not being able to run 33s on stock trucks and when they unveiled these they talked about letting customers run 33s without a lift and the lifted Trailboss being able to run 35s.  Ironic that they brought this up but you can't even get 3.42s with the truck they designed to run 35s. 

On 7/6/2018 at 4:29 PM, shift_grind said:

So it is a bragging point and not an actual usefulness or noticeable performance point then? That same 99% of the population you state wouldn't be able to tell which truck has which gears after driving them back to back (because probably 75% don't tow or haul anyways), so how would they think it is a turd? Stop buying trucks as an image purchase. It is comical reading some of the reasons or points people give. Should there be choices, yes, but to state a 3.23 is a turd with an 8 speed and then to think 3.73's make that big of a difference with the gearing of current transmissions is laughable and shows the lack of knowledge on the subject.

Tyler

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

So it is a bragging point and not an actual usefulness or noticeable performance point then? That same 99% of the population you state wouldn't be able to tell which truck has which gears after driving them back to back (because probably 75% don't tow or haul anyways), so how would they think it is a turd? Stop buying trucks as an image purchase. It is comical reading some of the reasons or points people give. Should there be choices, yes, but to state a 3.23 is a turd with an 8 speed and then to think 3.73's make that big of a difference with the gearing of current transmissions is laughable and shows the lack of knowledge on the subject.

Tyler

Look up. Way up there is the point.  Yup, it went waaaay over your head.  

I promise the difference between 3.23 and 3.73 is very noticeable regardless of the transmission.  You're clearly not a real car guy who had any working knowledge, so let the adults talk. 

• 2 hours ago, shift_grind said:

I'll add only one thing since it's something new you brought up.  People had complained about not being able to run 33s on stock trucks and when they unveiled these they talked about letting customers run 33s without a lift and the lifted Trailboss being able to run 35s.  Ironic that they brought this up but you can't even get 3.42s with the truck they designed to run 35s. 

I can't find one example of a GM representative or GM press release stating they designed the truck to run 35" tires. GM's own press release mentioned that the truck was designed to run up to 33-inch tires.

"All models introduce a modern, powerful design with a strong dose of Chevy Truck DNA. For example, the “CHEVROLET” name stamped on the tailgate recalls iconic Chevy trucks of the 1950s and ‘60s, while the integrated dual exhausts and up to 33-inch tires reflect modern customer preferences."

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/jan/0113-2019-silverado.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would chime in on the final drive ratio discussion. I have a 2017 Max tow silverado with the 5.3 and the 3:73 gears. These gears really give the truck a boost in acceleration and keep the RPM up where the 5.3 really runs nice.

Sure the gas mileage is slightly less than the 3:42's but I still get 20mpg on the thruway and average 17 on the rural roads and some city driving.

Just my opinion, but I love the 3:73's

IMG_20180703_194825192.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2018-07-12 at 4:06 PM, shift_grind said:

Look up. Way up there is the point.  Yup, it went waaaay over your head.  

I promise the difference between 3.23 and 3.73 is very noticeable regardless of the transmission.  You're clearly not a real car guy who had any working knowledge, so let the adults talk. 

I’ve owned a few different truck configurations in the past 20 years. 3.23 to 3.73 isn’t really the big of a step with the new 8 and 10 speeds. So many factors can play into effect for the seat in the pants feel. 95% of th people wont even notice a difference. It’s like back in th day with the 4l60 with 3.73 and people upgrading to 4.10s. Other then burning more gas on the hwy most people didn’t notice a difference. Throw some 4.56 in there on the other hand and it’s a all new ball game. The days of hot rodding are over. It’s to expensive for the common man to void his warranty. 

15 minutes ago, KozzyJr said:

I’ve owned a few different truck configurations in the past 20 years. 3.23 to 3.73 isn’t really the big of a step with the new 8 and 10 speeds. So many factors can play into effect for the seat in the pants feel. 95% of th people wont even notice a difference. It’s like back in th day with the 4l60 with 3.73 and people upgrading to 4.10s. Other then burning more gas on the hwy most people didn’t notice a difference. Throw some 4.56 in there on the other hand and it’s a all new ball game. The days of hot rodding are over. It’s to expensive for the common man to void his warranty. 

There isn't a lot of empirical data yet but pickuptrucks.com did a shootout with 2019 crewcab 4x4's and the 6.2/3.23 in both the GMC/Chevy and beat the Ecoboost with a 3.55 and destroyed the Ram with the 5.7/3.92. Everybody likes cherry picking but this was a shootout with a pro driver doing several runs with each truck to get the best times, same time, same track in the same place. I don't know how much faster some of these guys want the trucks to be. Crewcab 4x4's are doing 0-60's in the sub 6.5 second mark and getting 20MPG on the highway. Some people will never be satisfied.

As much as I like TFL (for the most part) they do put out a lot of click bait drag racing videos without real data behind them. So far, the PUT.com shootout is the only full data shootout I've found but many more should start showing up soon.

• Thanks 1