Who says you can’t pull a 5th wheel

I think you missed his point. He's not saying that he's getting away with it. He's saying a properly equipped (max tow) can safely tow a 5th within the manufacturer margins. Now that doesn't mean any 5th wheel, there are only a few that fall into the half ton towable category.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Silverado LTZ w/ NHT.

Nope, I got it. Good luck and God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, this was my setup when taking the kids out camping, right before burned out and sold it all. My DMax had new Bilstein 5100’s, custom airbags with in cab remote controls. Maybe 28K on it and already on its third set of Michelin’s AT2’s cause nothing more important to me than my family. Also Amzoiled after each tow lol! One day I had to stop hard and I thought the trailer was coming into the bed plus took much longer to stop. Nah, one ton is the way to go and now I’m waiting for the 2022’s to show themselves!

We even converted our fifth wheel campers to goose neck after a dealer installed fifth wheel started to rip itself off the fenders. And yes to Amsoil.

4 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I bought a trailer advertised as half ton towable, though it was a very large bumper pull it turned out to be a nightmare experience. I then later bought a DMax which completely satisfied my nerves. Half tons should NEVER pull a 5ther no matter the setup. Slap the emoji90.png out of someone that says that a fifth wheel is half ton towable, brakes and power for one thing are extremely inadequate. Ive got a new CC with a 6.2 and still rated at 9500 and I’d never imagine ever towing even a 7k fifth wheel cause it’ll slap my truck around like a rag doll

This is a case of believing the opposite of what is true based upon ignorance.

5th wheels/goosenecks of similar size are SAFER and EASIER to pull than a bumper pull in virtually every way.  Most of the dynamic issues that cause a bumper pull to "slap a truck around like a rag doll" that weight distributing hitches, sway control systems, etc, were designed to try and cover up as best they can, simply don't exist in the first place with a 5th wheel.  It's simply a much better way to tow a trailer.

The truth is had you bought a 5th wheel instead of a bumper pull in the first place, you very likely would have avoided your "nightmare experience."  If it was 7K your truck would have pulled it so well and so easily you wouldn't have needed to buy a bigger truck.  

FYI, the newer owners manuals have ratings specifically for 5th wheels/goosenecks.  Anybody suggesting a guy who is within those guidelines is doing something unsafe based upon some irrational phobia of 5th wheels is doing so with no basis in reality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

It's not about the pulling, it's about the stopping. Small brakes on a half ton isn't going to stop a load like that quick enough should they need to.

5th wheels do a much better job of distributing braking forces to all four tires of the truck--they brake better than bumper pull trailers.  Instead of the increased tongue weight due to the dynamic force of trailer braking further overloading the rear axle (which generally has small brakes and is already loaded heavily) and lifting up on the front axle (where your biggest brakes are), a 5th wheel naturally distributes some of the increased pin weight due to braking forces to the front tires.  This more evenly loads all four tires of the tow vehicle during braking resulting in much safer braking.

4 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Just cause you do it and get away with it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. I’ve heard horror stories on setups just like that as a matter of fact YouTube is full of how not to tow.
I’d go out and trade it in especially now with enormous incentives on the 18’s and pickup a DMax. Good luck, God Bless!

I’ve seen plenty of semi’s with empty trailers and motor homes at the end of the run a way ramps burnt to a crisp. I’d rather roll down the road next to the guy who’s “maxed out” but paying attention and being overly cautious than the over confident bad azz who bought the biggest baddest truck to pull his “it don’t weigh sh!t” trailer so he can “keep up with traffic” on a 12% grade and “stop on a dime” going down the other side...

btw discounts on the 2500/3500s suck right now at least around the Midwest wish I could get 10-12k off one as I need to replace my plow truck. So if you see any smoking deals on a 4x 6.0 reg or dbl cab LT let a fella know! 

• Like 2

5th wheels do a much better job of distributing braking forces to all four tires of the truck--they brake better than bumper pull trailers.  Instead of the increased tongue weight due to the dynamic force of trailer braking further overloading the rear axle (which generally has small brakes and is already loaded heavily) and lifting up on the front axle (where your biggest brakes are), a 5th wheel naturally distributes some of the increased pin weight due to braking forces to the front tires.  This more evenly loads all four tires of the tow vehicle during braking resulting in much safer braking.

Fifth wheels are much easier to tow and safer ONLY if you have an adequate tow vehicle.

I’ve seen plenty of semi’s with empty trailers and motor homes at the end of the run a way ramps burnt to a crisp. I’d rather roll down the road next to the guy who’s “maxed out” but paying attention and being overly cautious than the over confident bad azz who bought the biggest baddest truck to pull his “it don’t weigh sh!t” trailer so he can “keep up with traffic” on a 12% grade and “stop on a dime” going down the other side...

btw discounts on the 2500/3500s suck right now at least around the Midwest wish I could get 10-12k off one as I need to replace my plow truck. So if you see any smoking deals on a 4x 6.0 reg or dbl cab LT let a fella know! 

I had what I thought to be a badass equipped tow rig and yet never felt over confident in my ability to tow. I drove extremely careful and one time slammed on the breaks cause a dump truck ran a light and I know for a fact a half ton would’ve been in bad trouble with that momentum going. I know it took a while to stop so there’s no way a half ton would’ve stopped in time especially in wet road conditions.
Texas has a lot of 6.0 reg cab work trucks in fleet departments, give Houston area a shout. Lots of those type trucks being sold to train yards and ports.

41 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Fifth wheels are much easier to tow and safer ONLY if you have an adequate tow vehicle.

You're making up some new definition of "adequate," and ignoring the reality that a 7K 5th wheel is generally going to be much easier to handle and safer to pull in every way than a 7K bumper pull. 

You're making up some new definition of "adequate," and ignoring the reality that a 7K 5th wheel is generally going to be much easier to handle and safer to pull in every way than a 7K bumper pull. 

Stupid is as stupid does. It’s not just 7K lbs, rig you’re towing, there’s a reason why half tons do not come from factory with fifth wheel setup.
The reality is this, if you cannot afford a real tow rig you shouldn’t rig something up endangering the lives of the occupants and surrounding people just because you don’t want to spend the money to purchase a 3/4 ton or larger. Something else to think about, you hit someone and hurt them I guarantee you that you’ll be homeless, penniless if not all that and in jail. I’m not arguing or going back and forth about this. I could easily set my half ton up to tow a fifth wheel but it doesn’t make it the right thing to do just the cheap way cause I already have one.

2 hours ago, Jon A said:

FYI, the newer owners manuals have ratings specifically for 5th wheels/goosenecks.  Anybody suggesting a guy who is within those guidelines is doing something unsafe based upon some irrational phobia of 5th wheels is doing so with no basis in reality.

Great to know!  Can you direct me to where I'd find the 1500 ratings specifically for 5th wheel/goosenecks?  I can only find them for the 2500 and 3500 series. I don't want to be accused of having some irrational phobia with no basis in reality!

• Like 1