In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Zpoc

2002 Silverado 1500 keyless entry troubleshooing

Ok so here it goes, get ready, this is going to be a fun one..... NOT! 

2002 Silverado 1500 extended cab, both of my key fobs have stopped working but, not completely. Speratically one of the button at random(lock or unlock) will work but only once. 

List of of problems that I had and solved.

1. Passenger power door lock stopped working. Got a new one and installed. Works perfect.

2. Replaced both relays for the driver lock and unlock. ( for some reason although the actuator works when using the lock and unlock switch on the driver door and when and if the key fobs speratically work, when I tried to program a brand new key fob, the driver door lock DOES NOT cycle when I enter the key fob programming process.)

3. Bought new batteries for both fobs. This did not help. Went and bought 2 more brand new batteries, again this did not help. Hell third times a charm and got yet a 3 set of batteries and still nothing.

what I’ve noticed so far,

driver power door lock DO NOT cycle when entering key fob programming mode. The passenger door locks cycle but when trying to program the 2 original and the new fobs by holding the lock and unlock simultaneously for up to 5 minutes ( yes I used the timer on my iPhone) nothing happens. Resync Process as stated in my user manual does nothing as well.

what I’ve done to remedy the issue.

got a new fob with the correct numbers that match my truck. Same numbers on original fobs.

new batteries in ALL fobs. Problem remains.

found the RKE receiver behind the instrument cluster, disconnected for one minute and reconnected. Problem remains.

disconnected the battery in the truck (also touched both terminals together for one minute) reconnect and problem remains.

pulled the fuse for the BCM for one minute, problem remains.

scoured the inter webs for days now with every possible combination of wording to find ANYTHING with similar issues as mine.

is there no complete troubleshooting guide out there for these damn things? I can find how to resync and program new fobs all over the place but can’t seem to find anything on what possible problem that may not allow key fobs to be resynced on programmed. Please for the love of all things holy, SOMEONE tell me they have an idea of what my problem is before I go out and have to buy another RKE receiver!

becuse this is being such a pain in the posterior, I like to end this with my favorite movie quote.

Hallelujah! Holy s***! Where’s the Tylenol?!

I had the same problem. Took the keyfob apart, removed the rubber button pad, and cleaned the contact points on the rubber and circuit board with rubbing alcohol. 1st cleaning helped a lot. 2nd cleaned solved the problem completely. Must clean both the black rubber pad, and the gold circuit board contacts. 

Key Fob (4)-X2.jpg

Edited by starman8tdc

I also have done that. I forgot to add it to my list. I cleaned the PCB board, contacts and the rubber sleeve as well. Problem remains and still cannot program the new key fob. Thank you for the reply starman!

Most auto parts stores have free keyfobs testers. Might be worth a shot, to confirm that each button is working consistently. 

far-forward-energizer-straight-entry-sign-main.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Took all fobs in a tested. All 3 are transmitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a major issue with my keyfobs. Some of the buttons would work sometimes. The range on them was about 5 to 10 feet. You had to be standing by the door to get them to work. I tried everything under the sun, and I could not resolve the issue. I had tried cleaning the keyfob pads, disconnecting the battery over night, new batteries, etc etc etc. None of that helped at all. I was very angry and frustrated with the issue. For what ever reason, the buttons gradually all started working properly, and the range increased steadily until it was working very very well. No idea why. I recommend that you give it time. Just stop messing with them. Just try using them every so often to see if the performance improves. Once a day or so, try pushing the buttons as you are walking up to your truck.  I don't know if the truck calibrates itself, or what. No idea why mine started working better and better.

Yea I agree with just being patient. I have a hard time with not fixing my truck immediately when somethings wrong. This ol girl has to last me a long time. Thanks man. I really appreciate the responses!

Little update for anyone else that may encounter this issue.

Took both of my old fobs to advanced auto today. Figured I’d check them again. Both old fobs are transmitting as well as the new one.

Pulled the RKE receiver again and just checked all the wiring and connections. All checked out good.

Even holding the fobs up against the housing of the RKE the fobs still work speratically. My only guess is that the new fob I ordered just isn’t matched for my truck and will not program and the two old fobs are just worn out. Just to be sure I got two new cases with the button inserts for the old fobs and still no dice. Advanced is the only place around me that has a available brand new fob in a box. Might go pick it up and try to program it. If that doesn’t work then I may just be screwed because I’ve searched for another RKE receiver and cannot fine one.... more to come I’m sure.