1500 MAX Tow vs 2500HD 6.0

I currently have a 2016 F-250 Powerstroke diesel but for how I drive it's not the right truck. Most of my driving is in town stop and go and the most I tow is around 3000-4000lbs on occasion. My wife's 2007 Yukon 5.3 has been pretty much flawless even with 165k miles on it so I am switching to GM. I have narrowed it down to a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 with the MAX Towing package or a 2016 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0. Both have the standard 6.5ft beds, 4x4, crew cab. Which one would be more suited for my needs?. The wife would like to eventually get a 26-29ft travel trailer

I currently have a 2016 F-250 Powerstroke diesel but for how I drive it's not the right truck. Most of my driving is in town stop and go and the most I tow is around 3000-4000lbs on occasion. My wife's 2007 Yukon 5.3 has been pretty much flawless even with 165k miles on it so I am switching to GM. I have narrowed it down to a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 with the MAX Towing package or a 2016 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0. Both have the standard 6.5ft beds, 4x4, crew cab. Which one would be more suited for my needs?. The wife would like to eventually get a 26-29ft travel trailer

Congrats on your choice to switch to GM. I’ve owned them all, the 5.3 is sufficient but the 2500 is built for towing beefed up suspension brakes rear end, transmission etc. I don’t know about the 6.0, only owned diesels but I’ve heard good things about it. For only 3-4K you can’t go wrong with either, get the one with the most creature features. Good luck and god bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1/2 ton will be the nicer driver in town and smoother. Both will haul what you want. The 5.3L will get better mileage and has been updated much more often than the 6.0.

The 2500 6.0 is a value if there ever was one.  In most cases, it can be driven off the lot for LESS than the most beefed up 1500 and will still exceed any 1500 any day of the week in both towing and payload capacity.   And payload is the key here.  While the max tow ratings seem neat on towing, usually one exceeds the max payload before they reach the max towing rating.  

The 2500 6.0 has 4.10 diffs also.  The GCWR is around 20,500 lb.  The pickup, loaded with fuel and two people, still has about 2500 lb of payload capacity remaining.  And it is rated to pull about 13,500 lb of trailer.    And the 2015 model with the exact same specs won the Ike Gauntlet pull challenge of being loaded to the max GCWR of 20,500 lb and doing it up I-70 in Colorado to the Eisenhower Tunnel.  

And the L96 6.0 is darn near bullet proof.  Many have taken them to well over 300,000 miles without opening them up for a repair.  Stacks of fleet trucks rely on them.  The same motor is going into some cab over straight trucks from Fuso this year.    None of the AFM nonsense that the 1500 series of motors have.   And the L96 6.0 is flex fuel, which is nice for where I live.  Even with the lower mpg of E85, the significantly lower cost of E85 still makes it a better value than regular gas on a cost per mile basis.  My 2500 6.0 has been on E85 since late last fall.   While the 5.3 is more "updated" as Paul stated, that also brings along a stack of its own unique problems also.  Read thru GM related forums and see for yourself.  Compare end user likes and dislikes between the 5.3 and 6.0.  Sometimes being more up to date does not mean better quality.

Fuel economy is relative to the driver in most cases.  On regular fuel, my 2015 2500 has averaged only 1-2 mpg less than a 2013 5.3 1500 I had.  Given the wide variance in capability between the two pickup trucks, the 2500 still comes in as the better value in my situation.   That was my one foray into 1/2 ton pickup territory with that 1500 and I will never make that mistake again.   I found myself inventing new swear words about that pickup and had to go back to the 2500.  Even the wife likes the 2500 more.  

If you don't get the larger trailer, you would probably do fine and like the 1500.  If the chances of getting the larger trailer, then go with the 2500.  You will not regret the choice.  As has been stated, overall capability with the 2500 in terms of suspension, brakes, etc makes a night and day difference when towing.  Depending on weight of the larger trailer, wind, terrain, etc, the trailer could end up shoving a 1500 around.  Not much of a chance of that with a 2500.    I will concede, for around town, the 1500 is smoother and more car like.  The 2500 can be a little stiff.  

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 6

In comparison I would personally get it for not having the cylinder deactivation and flex fuel option. Especially if I plan to keep it past the warranty period.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bmartin said:

Now that I've returned to the travel trailer form of recreation, I'd stick to the 3/4 ton trucks.  However, my 2016 F250 Powerstroke would have to be pretty rough before I traded it for a used GM 2500 gas.

• Like 1

Frankly it doesn't sound like you even need the max tow 1500.  But if it's the truck you want, go for it.  You'll have plenty of room to tow heavier if you want to.  The 2500 6.0 is a great engine but you'll be spendibg alot more on fuel.

I went from a 2006 2500HD 6.0 w 4.10 that I had for 10 years to a 2016 1500 5.3 3.42 8speed with the max trailering package. The 1500 max trailering even with the 5.3 tows much better and stronger. It must be the 8 speed transmission. My average mpg unloaded increased by 5mpg. And 1 mpg towing 8,500lb. 

However the 1500 does not come close to comparing with payload. The rear leaf springs seem no better than regular 1500s ( in appearance or function) even though they are supposed to be different. 

I dont tow often but but when I do it is around 8,500 and it is 500 plus miles and I am very happy I did not get another 3/4 pickup. It’s my opinion but a 3/4 has no business driving down the road unless it is working. 

The best choice for you really hinges on whether you really get a travel trailer or not. A regular 5.3 non-big tow will pull 4000 lbs with ease. However, i would opt for the 3/4 ton if you truly are going to get a travel trailer. 

As stated already, payload capacity is usually the constraining factor, not towing capacity. When you factor in a 2-5 person family, dogs, luggage, etc., plus the tongue weight of a 25'+ travel trailer, you will be exceeding the GVWR before you know it. Thats where the 2500  will shine.

15 hours ago, bmartin said:

Max Tow is nice and all, but you don't get the payload and safety net of the larger frame, axles, brakes and suspension the HD has.  IMO, 6.0 HD, especially with travel trailer plans.  You can go over weight fast with a travel trailer and a 1/2 ton.  Both will suck at gas mileage with mostly stop and go driving.  36 gallon tank on the HD for those travel trailer trips.  6.0 is tried and tested, these new 5.3 engines have some kinks.   

Edited by newdude

The 2500HD has brakes too spare for most occasions.   The 1500 will feel white knuckle scary in an emergency situation pulling 7,000+ pounds.  Test pulling a 7,700 pound trailer with my truck convinced a friend to buy a new Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax instead of a 1500 6.2 max tow.

I bought a 1500 max tow for towing my boat and my Jeep.  I'm guessing my Jeep will put me about 8000lbs total in tow.  Max payload is 1870lbs.  I think I should be fine for what I am doing. 

As others have stated the only thing that I think is pushing you to a 2500 is the travel trailer plans.

If I were buying a new truck for the usage you describe, I'd be considering the same trucks you are considering.  The total cost of ownership of those gas trucks is probably better than a diesel by a good bit.

But if I already had a relatively new diesel F250, I don't think I'd be shopping for a new truck.  Yes, your current truck is far more than you need, but you're going to eat a pretty big chunk on depreciation on the trade.  So what do you really gain?  If you keep your F250, I think in 10 years you are in better financial shape as your F250 will be worth more than either gas truck you are thinking about buying.  

Bottom line, you will get to drive more truck for  the foreseeable future  with the same or lower cost just by staying where you are at instead of getting a new gas truck.  

Edited by i82much

Unless you’re having issues with your current truck, keep it!