General Motors Scores Well On 2018 Initial Quality Study

Gorehamj

JD Power IQS brand graph 2018.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-21-2018

General Motors brands and vehicles scored well on this year’s Initial Quality Survey done by J.D. Power (Hammer). Cadillac showed strong improvement as a brand. Chevrolet was the top-ranked GM brand and is now in sixth place just behind Ford. None of GM’s brands scored in the bottom quarter of brands. 

With regard to individual models, the Silverado earned the top spot in both the light truck and HD truck categories. In the midsized truck segment, GMC’s Canyon was the second highest-ranked truck after the Nissan Frontier. The Tacoma was the lowest-ranked truck. Buick’s Chinese-built Envision earned the top spot in its crossover segment and is also one of the top-ranked crossovers in any category.

Although the news is good for GM, the interesting news is that all three of the top spots are now solidly in control of Korean brands. Genesis is a mile ahead of any other brand and Hyundai and Kia round out the podium. How impressive is Genesis’ lead? Owners of Genesis vehicles report almost 20% fewer problems than Lexus owners. 

Except for the Chevy shake in the Silverados, paint issues across the entire lineup.  Initial quality awards are useless.  The commercials that Chevy uses are stupid. I own 2 Chevy's and are ok with them.  A 2016 Mailbu premier and a 2017 Silverado.  Chevy offered longer warranties when their vehicles were not selling.  Now Kia, Hyundai and VW offer some of the best warranties out there.

The midsize vehicles across all the brands look very similar.  It pains me to say that my next vehicle will more than likely not be a Chevy unless things change. 

I expect a lot when I'm spending $50+k on a truck and I'm not seeing it in the newer Silverados.  Of course, Ford has issues, Rams have more issues and Toyota's just don't cut it.  Chevy could really shine but are content with being ok in the truck market.

Initial quality was good on the Silverados prior to 2014 as well.  Now all of the dashboards are breaking and falling apart. 

cefb7e82-ff16-1032-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

Edited by yogi89
  • Thanks 1

$50,000 is nothing in this day and age.  it's like what $20,000 was 10 years ago.  How much money you spend on something is no guarantee of quality anymore. 

Edited by Colossus

@yogi89, your experience is not the norm.  I've personally have had fewer issues with my 2015 Silverado than any Silverado before it.  Hands down the best truck I've ever owned.

My personal opinion on Kia and Hyundai is the people that I know that own one wouldn't know if they had a problem anyway.  So they don't report them.

Edited by Nargg

6 hours ago, Nargg said:

@yogi89, your experience is not the norm.  I've personally have had fewer issues with my 2015 Silverado than any Silverado before it.  Hands down the best truck I've ever owned.

My personal opinion on Kia and Hyundai is the people that I know that own one wouldn't know if they had a problem anyway.  So they don't report them.

I owned a mid-2000's Kia as a winter beater for work and I was amazed that they sold as well as they did. I think I owned a Spectra and you could hear the interference from the spark plugs over the radio (they were new wires and plugs). The exhaust rotted off completely when it was only 6 years old. And the engine was a real oil burner for the mileage it had. The automatic transmission was terrible too. I would have rather owned an early 2000s Malibu. I don't understand how they rate well these days. Like you said, there could easily be problems that go unnoticed. Hyundai/Kia don't offer nearly as much cutting edge features/powertrains/tech either. The IQS is heavily weighted towards stuff like the infotainment, electronic features, etc.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

I have no doubt that Hyundai/Kia quality improved around the 2010 mark.  But most of the crap before then was just that, crap.  I take my mother around to her cancer treatments and doctors appointments in her 2008 Santa Fe and it is an unreliable piece of crap.  But she likes it. 

The depreciation rate on the Genesis and other premium Hyundai/Kia products are absolutely awful on top of it.

All those foreign cars depreciate horribly and now Toyota and Honda’s have bad crash test ratings too. Years ago when I was in my early twenties, I was hit by a drunk driver while driving my Buick T Type, when I went to visit the car I walked up to a horrific scene, a Honda Accord looked to be T-Boned at drivers side, door, seat were on the other side of the shifter, I thought my God, who could’ve walked out of that one? A man approached me, a technician, he said, you see all that fleshy stuff splattered everywhere? Brain matter! Horrible Horrible little vehicles that should’ve never been allowed into the states. Thank God The USA has such high safety requirements now for imports but still something I’ll never get out of my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife bought an 05 Elantra Gt new drove it 5 years my daughter drove it 7 years going to be my grandsons first car just maintenance. We bought an 11 Genesis tec package sedan new ( North America car of the year that year and again this year) just maintenance. I drove a Genesis coup for a year then a Santa Fe for two just maintenance. Was going to buy a Sonata for a trip car but got a Camry cheaper. The only thing I can say bad about them is they must be catching on good deals are getting harder to come buy. If my GMC dealer wasn’t selling them I wouldn’t have given them a second look, glad we did.

My wife bought an 05 Elantra Gt new drove it 5 years my daughter drove it 7 years going to be my grandsons first car just maintenance. We bought an 11 Genesis tec package sedan new ( North America car of the year that year and again this year) just maintenance. I drove a Genesis coup for a year then a Santa Fe for two just maintenance. Was going to buy a Sonata for a trip car but got a Camry cheaper. The only thing I can say bad about them is they must be catching on good deals are getting harder to come buy. If my GMC dealer wasn’t selling them I wouldn’t have given them a second look, glad we did.

Yeah, they’re sold really cheap in Texas. I’ve seen them as low as 15-16K but have very low resale value so not good if you’re going oh to keep it a short while

Yeah, they’re sold really cheap in Texas. I’ve seen them as low as 15-16K but have very low resale value so not good if you’re going oh to keep it a short while

The two my wife bought she still has. The two I bought your right I got a deal. I have too cause I can’t keep them more than two years. The Genesis coup I got even money. The Santa Fe l was a grand under after two years and 60K miles. I don’t know what you saw for 15K new, wiesner in conroe usually has the best deals with their large stock.

The two my wife bought she still has. The two I bought your right I got a deal. I have too cause I can’t keep them more than two years. The Genesis coup I got even money. The Santa Fe l was a grand under after two years and 60K miles. I don’t know what you saw for 15K new, wiesner in conroe usually has the best deals with their large stock.

While reading the paper, I just happened to come across not sure where but I remember it being $16K and some change causing me to think wow that’s cheap

While reading the paper, I just happened to come across not sure where but I remember it being $16K and some change causing me to think wow that’s cheap

They have many models like anyone else. Genesis G90 the top with over 400 V8, G80 with the twin turbo V6. There’s not too much about cars that passes me I do a lot a reading and test driving. Always looking for the next one.

They have many models like anyone else. Genesis G90 the top with over 400 V8, G80 with the twin turbo V6. There’s not too much about cars that passes me I do a lot a reading and test driving. Always looking for the next one.

I was shocked to find my GMC Yukon in this list! e433e2850087bafb67a73c848ea55d11.png