In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Console Bose Replacement Subwoofer Mod - what sub?

Hey folks, I finally broke down and bought a sub box for the center console.  I bought one off ebay when they had the 20 pct off coupon two weeks ago.  The box looks really nice.  Well built.  I could have done it, but my time would have been worth a lot more to me than the $120 I paid.  It would take a while to measure and fab it this nice.

Anyway, for folks who have this box (or any of the center console bose replacement boxes), what sub did you use?  This one has a 5" mounting depth, so it could take some of those high power subs out now.  I have looked at JLs, Alpine, Kicker, and some of the newer lesser known niche brands.  Many of the ultra high power 8s take more air space than this box has (0.4 cu ft).   The Alpine Type R will barely fit, but Im not sure that it is worth the investment.  I dont know if a 500W sub will hit that much harder than a 100-200W sub.  Its just a single 8.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thank!

For that mounting depth and cubic feet it is pretty hard to beat JL's  line of 8". I would use a JL 8W3V3-4 or even a 8W1V3-4. Both would fit nicely and built for that enclosure volume. Anything over 500 watts would be overkill.

Thanks.  The JLs certainly do look tempting.  Kinda pricey for what they are, but they are solid subs. 

The Sub is located buried inside the console.  Only an option if you have Bose AND a center console.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 12:51 PM, TexasGMCZ71 said:

Hey folks, I finally broke down and bought a sub box for the center console.  I bought one off ebay when they had the 20 pct off coupon two weeks ago.  The box looks really nice.  Well built.  I could have done it, but my time would have been worth a lot more to me than the $120 I paid.  It would take a while to measure and fab it this nice.

Anyway, for folks who have this box (or any of the center console bose replacement boxes), what sub did you use?  This one has a 5" mounting depth, so it could take some of those high power subs out now.  I have looked at JLs, Alpine, Kicker, and some of the newer lesser known niche brands.  Many of the ultra high power 8s take more air space than this box has (0.4 cu ft).   The Alpine Type R will barely fit, but Im not sure that it is worth the investment.  I dont know if a 500W sub will hit that much harder than a 100-200W sub.  Its just a single 8.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thank!

Can you post the link of the box you got?

8 minutes ago, TexasGMCZ71 said:

Thanks for the link! Looking forward to hearing your feedback once you get it installed. Do you have the Bose system with the factory sub? Did you find a sub that is plug and play?

I do have the Bose system.  I havent yet done the mod.  I still need to pick a sub and amp. 

I wish I could find out what power is sent to the Bose sub and what impedance it is.

You know, I had a rental Nissan Titan a few weeks ago with a Rockford Fosgate stereo.  It blew away the GM Bose stereo in every way.  I was surprised that a factory stereo could sound that good.  I think these Bose units are highly overrated.

So, I did some research on another forum website and someone measured the stock sub to be appx 1ohm.  Apparently it even has 1 ohm printed on it when you remove it.

I bought a dual 2 ohm voice coil Kicker Comp R yesterday.  I got it with damaged box from Sonic Electronix for $56.  Crutchfield and Best Buy have them on sale for $75 this week.  It is the sub that the ebay box is sold with if the seller loads the box.  Volume air space specs work out perfect.  I may try wired in parallel to show a 1 ohm load on factory bose amp and see what happens.  PRobably not much if I had to guess.  If not I will add an amp and run it in series to present a 4 ohm load to keep the amp cool and stable.