Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4.3L

Recommended Posts


2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 EXT Cab 4.3L WT

By Crdel93, 8 hours ago in Off-Topic 

Crdel93     0


I have 2012 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 1500 4.3L WT. I just drove it form California to Indiana which is approximately 2,200 miles the last 500 or so miles of my trip I started hearing a ticking noise. Which sounded familiar. I was towing a Mazda 3 on a dolly and had two atv's in the bed. Total weight was about 10,500 lbs. I get here to Indiana and take it to a Chevy Dealership and they want to drop the transmission. I double check my Forever Warranty before they start doing anything only to find out its voided because I didn't take it to the Chevy dealership I bought it from in Indiana but to a Chevy dealership in California since I'm active duty military and that's where I was stationed. So I said screw it I'll take it to a cheaper place since it won't be covered under warranty anyway. I take it to a guy explain what's going on and he says it sounds like my Fly wheel. I told him it's funny you say that because my truck has 72,000 miles and at about 35,000 miles my fly wheel cracked out in San Diego. Well this morning he called and confirmed that's what it is. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this going to be a reoccurring issue every 35,000 miles? Is there an underlying issue that is causing this? Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be nit picky but I believe the correct terminology nowadays with automatic transmissions is flex-plate, not flywheel. Modern engines must be better internally balanced as even the older automatics had a real flywheel with some meat on their bones to balance out engine harmonics.  Compared to a real flywheel flex-plates look like they're made out of recycled tuna cans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

A flexplate (or flex plate) is a metal disk that connects the output from an engine to the input of a torque converter in a car equipped with an automatic transmission. It takes the place of the flywheel found in a conventional manual transmission setup. The name refers to the ability of the disk to flex across its main axis – bending side to side – to take up motion in the torque converter as rotational speeds change. Flexplates are generally much thinner and lighter than flywheels due to the smooth coupling action of the torque converter and the elimination of the clutch surface. Like flywheels, flexplates normally handle coupling to the starter motor, via teeth cut along the outer edge of the plate. These teeth give the flexplate a gear-like appearance, in spite of this being a secondary function.







Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the correction. I'm not very knowledgeable with cars.... I know enough to get by. The only reason I knew to call it a fly wheel was because both mechanics I've delt with on fixing this have called it that. Both at the Chevy dealership and my local mechanic. I had it replaced again not sure if they put an upgraded one in or not, but cost me $650 at my local mechanic. Currently waiting on a call back from the Chevy dealership who replaced it the first time to discuss my issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crdel93Just the fact that you know what a flywheel is, makes you more of a mechanic than most of the people on this planet. 


Most people (including myself) refer to it as a flywheel - even if we are referring to a flex-plate. I never use the word "flex-plate" unless I am ordering a new part verbally.


When I replace them for people, I try to explain what it is, and why they need a new one - but they have no idea what I'm talking about. 


I try to explain it to them, but its no use. I usually say something like this: 


Its a big gear, about the size of a pizza. When you turn the key, it activates an electric motor that spins the flywheel, which turns the motor over. 


They look at me, look at the the engine, and look back at me with a raised eyebrow and say : It turns the motor over? Why would you want to do that? Isn't it supposed to be sitting the way it is? 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.