Radio changing channels and screens

My 2016 started having the screens randomly start jumping around, or so I thought. But it appears that every time Onstar polls my vehicle for diagnostics.  the system goes bonkers for 24-48 hrs after.

How do I disconnect Onstar and wifi?

13 hours ago, atsea said:

My 2016 started having the screens randomly start jumping around, or so I thought. But it appears that every time Onstar polls my vehicle for diagnostics.  the system goes bonkers for 24-48 hrs after.

How do I disconnect Onstar and wifi?

You have to contact OnStar to actually disconnected along with the Wi-Fi. However, I believe it’s not OnStar or your Wi-Fi is the problem it is your shark fin. My vehicle is doing the same thing along with jumping screens and radio channels and I had to get a HMI upgrade download it along with replacing my shark fin and now my truck works perfect like it was brand new.You have to contact OnStar to actually disconnected along with the Wi-Fi. However, I believe it’s not OnStar or your Wi-Fi is the problem it is your shark fin. My vehicle is doing the same thing along with jumping screens and radio channels and I had to get a HMI upgrade download it along with replacing my shark fin and now my truck works perfect like it was brand new.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TammyCowan said:

I know this is a dumb question but how do I find the screen inches on my 2015 Sierra. Someone broke mine so I need to replace

Take a picture and post it, that way we can give you a good answer.

You can also look in your glove box at the RPO codes, 

• IO3 Radio – Infotainment System – Base
    IO4 Radio – Infotainment System – Base With Connectivity
    IO5 Radio – Infotainment System – Uplevel With Connectivity
    IO6 Radio – Infotainment System – Uplevel With Connectivity And Embedded Navigation

First two will be the small screen, second two will be the 8 inch screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TammyCowan said:

I know this is a dumb question but how do I find the screen inches on my 2015 Sierra. Someone broke mine so I need to replace

Look into your glove box at the build codes.
If it's an I05 or I06, it's an 8" screen, otherwise, it's something else.
Sorry, this was just a quick pic, edited - only difference between I05 and I06 is factory nav.
@JimCost2014, nice work, you're a lot faster than me! :)

IMG_0290.jpg

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bert Zeller said:

ive been a Chevy person all my life, but now thinking about another brand. my dealer has no clue how to fix this problem and seems to really not care.

My vehicle is doing the same thing along with jumping screens and radio channels and I had to get a HMI upgrade download it along with replacing my shark fin and now my truck worksperfect like it was brand new.

• Like 1

Any lawyers here. My 2015 GMC 3500 Denali started doing this after 70k miles. Why are we all having same problem….Should Chevrolet/GMC do a recall and fix the problem for good…

does anyone know if this proble would affect the safely operation of the vehicle?!!

On 7/25/2021 at 12:01 AM, Ed Dyer said:
On 7/24/2021 at 9:14 PM, Bert Zeller said:

ive been a Chevy person all my life, but now thinking about another brand. my dealer has no clue how to fix this problem and seems to really not care.

My vehicle is doing the same thing along with jumping screens and radio channels and I had to get a HMI upgrade download it along with replacing my shark fin and now my truck worksperfect like it was brand new.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:45 AM, Ed Dyer said:

You have to contact OnStar to actually disconnected along with the Wi-Fi. However, I believe it’s not OnStar or your Wi-Fi is the problem it is your shark fin. My vehicle is doing the same thing along with jumping screens and radio channels and I had to get a HMI upgrade download it along with replacing my shark fin and now my truck works perfect like it was brand new.You have to contact OnStar to actually disconnected along with the Wi-Fi. However, I believe it’s not OnStar or your Wi-Fi is the problem it is your shark fin. My vehicle is doing the same thing along with jumping screens and radio channels and I had to get a HMI upgrade download it along with replacing my shark fin and now my truck works perfect like it was brand new.

I am having the same issues. How much for a new shark fin? Do you have a part #?  And I need to update my HMI software also. Thanks

My truck has been doing it for a while now. I  checked the two grounds on top of the dash and they were fine. It did go away for a couple months then came back. It will hang up a phone call or mute it and this is a danger if you were on the phone with 911 with an emergency. Don’t think my next truck will be a GM. To bad. I really like the truck too. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:45 AM, Bert Zeller said:

ED, im going to give the HMI upgrade and shark fin a try. How much did the shark fin cost???

Bert, I will have to look at my paperwork because my extended warranty covered it all except for my deductible but I do know it was approximately $100 for the HDMI Upgrade and approximately $400 for the Shark Fin replacement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update!, THIS IS A VERY CAUTIOUS UPDATE!!!!

My truck has been free of the radio problems for the last 3.5 weeks. All is good. I changed the grounding wire on the battery six weeks or so ago.  Problem didn't go away after changing so thought it had no effect. But as time has gone on, i saw less and less of the self changing channels and screens. Now i haven't had a radio problem in 3.5 weeks. Ive also seen the alternator moving again from 12.5 volts up to 14.5 volts as it suppose to do. Somebody told me the trucks computer had to update the electrical power being used over time to get rid of the charging problem caused by the bad cable.  

Below picture on left is of the new battery ground cable installed that was bought GM original equipment, notice the writing on the shinny cable. Picture on right is old cable very dull and no writing except for CABLENA stamped into the plastic. See if your cables look like either of these.

If my radio starts to act up again i will post it.

very happy now!!!!

IMG_2359[1].JPG

IMG_2360[1].JPG

• Like 1