6.2 LTS Motor worth the $$$$$$

Hi guys and girls,

I'm lining up to order a 19' and a few of my friends have a 6.2 and say they are great on gas and lot's of power.....just wanted a unbiased opinion from folks and this site. What's your take and input on the 6.2...here in Canada they're 4000$ more.

Thanks for reading...

GH

I've had 2 6.2 trucks so far and it's all I'd consider if I bought another truck. (At least from what I've seen the engine offerings from GM) . 

That said my choice is based on the fact I tow quite often and while I could do it with a 5.3 or probably even a 4.3 I like a large margin of safety and capacity. 

When it comes down to want vs. need than the 6.2 usually isn't needed. If it is than you likely need to step up to a heavier duty truck, ie. 2500 series. 

I like my 6.2 for the power and bragging rights if we're being completely honest but I don't really need it. I'm seeing awesome mpg's now that I went down to 18" and 17" wheels with stock size tires. My best is just over 26 and I regularly get around 20. That's with a level and a trimmed front air dam. 

I say if you can afford it and will enjoy hitting the gas here and there than get the 6.2. If you don't really appreciate the power then go for a smaller, less expensive engine. 

• Like 1

I agree with Michigan2500HD.  I just got a 2018 with the 6.2 and I've never had a 5.3 truck to compare it to.  I went from a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi to the truck.

The Cherokee and my new truck are within a couple hundred pounds of each other in terms of empty weight.  The Cherokee was 360HP (never understood why the Hemi in those is 35HP less than the same engine in the Ram pickups, but anyway).  The Hemi is a "peakier" engine, it liked to downshift and rev more than the 6.2 in the truck.  Surprisingly, the truck is getting better mileage than the Cherokee ever did right off the bat.  I would guess the 5.3 too would a bit more of a revver as well due to the lower HP and smaller displacement (power is the relationship of torque and RPM and you can trade one for the other so long as the equation balances).    I would also guess that in "normal" driving, the 5.3 will probably have lower average mileage as well (you're gonna be revving it a little higher more often), but that's only a guess.

I think too there is more to the equation than just "needing" the 6.2.   It is certainly more powerful (420 HP vs 355) and torquier at 480lb-ft.  That translates into more giddy up and go when you want it (and let's face it, no one except a business owner is buying the most base model truck because they don't "need" all the fancy extras and doo-dads).  What's one more "option" when you're dropping that kind of money on these trucks?  The 6.2 has the power when you want OR need it.  It will also make the truck worth more when or if you sell or trade it in.

I am willing to do without certain options like built-in nav because a Tomtom is cheap enough and works, but things like going with the 6.2 vs the 5.3 is a no brainer because capability in the truck is like a gun.  You might go years and never need it, but when you do, you need it right then.  If you don't have it, there's nothing you can do.  That's my opinion anyway.     

• Like 1

6.2 with Max Tow NHT package! 8 speed and 3:42 gears = EXCELLENT. Rated for 11.7k - 12.5k towing and 1800lbs payload depending on configuration.

Edited by 2009GMC

2 hours ago, goose hunter said:

Hi guys and girls,

I'm lining up to order a 19' and a few of my friends have a 6.2 and say they are great on gas and lot's of power.....just wanted a unbiased opinion from folks and this site. What's your take and input on the 6.2...here in Canada they're 4000$ more.

Thanks for reading...

GH

I don't think you will get many unbiased opinions from 6.2 owners lol.  It's really up to you if the extra $4,000 is worth it.  If your going to put a lift and big tires on your new truck, then the 6.2 would be the way to go for sure.  Best of luck with your decision!

I know a forum is to read and give your opinion.....but I would like to thank you guys for taking your time and  giving your input. Very appreciated and  informative!!!

GH

1 hour ago, 2017_whitez71 said:

I don't think you will get many unbiased opinions from 6.2 owners lol.  It's really up to you if the extra $4,000 is worth it.  If your going to put a lift and big tires on your new truck, then the 6.2 would be the way to go for sure.  Best of luck with your decision!

What are you talking about????  I'm not biased at all, I think every Silverado owner should have a 6.2! :-)

Seriously though, it does depend on your preferences and your wallet at the time.  If the 6.2 had significantly worse mileage than the 5.3, I would have gotten the 5.3 because for my personal use I don't tow anything that heavy.  My race boat is 125 lbs and the engine is 90lbs and it all rides on a small single axle trailer.  I can tow that with a v-6.  BUT, since the 6.2 does do better than the 5.3 on gas (as long as you drive like a human being) at some point that gas savings will make up the price difference (if you keep it long enough), or if not, the increased resale value will help too.  The 6.2 just makes good sense from a money perspective in the long run.  The extra ponies and torque are just icing on the cake.

Besides, what's $4,000 Canadian, like $10 American?  (lol, just kidding!)

If I could afford and justify the 6.2, I would get it. I had a particular budget, so I have the 5.3. I think they’re both good engines. A guy at work has the 6.2. He said that if I drive his 6.2, I won’t want to go back to my 5.3. As a result, I refuse to drive his truck. Haha. 

• Haha 1

IMO The answer to your question is both Yes and No.Yes it is worth it if you are only loyal to GM trucks as it is honestly a completely different driving experience from the 5.3 engine.The 6.2 is a real stump puller all the way through and to me the 5.3 wasnt much of a difference from the 4.3 if I am to be honest.However if you are not necessarily brand loyal I think the premium for a 6.2 is a bit much when there can be similar performance had from some of the other brands for less coin.

If I could afford and justify the 6.2, I would get it. I had a particular budget, so I have the 5.3. I think they’re both good engines. A guy at work has the 6.2. He said that if I drive his 6.2, I won’t want to go back to my 5.3. As a result, I refuse to drive his truck. Haha. 

Both the 5.3 and 6.3 are great proven platforms but he’s not lying [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

Both the 5.3 and 6.3 are great proven platforms but he’s not lying emoji6.png

Haha. I know....that’s why I don’t dare take it for a spin. Ignorance is bliss....at least for awhile. Ha 

• Like 1

From all those i know with the 6.2 it is the way to go.

GM is raking in the $$$ on the 6.2  There is no way there is that much of a difference in manufacturing between a 5.3 and 6.2.  I'm sure every time one gets purchased the bean counters at GM just smile.

IMO The answer to your question is both Yes and No.Yes it is worth it if you are only loyal to GM trucks as it is honestly a completely different driving experience from the 5.3 engine.The 6.2 is a real stump puller all the way through and to me the 5.3 wasnt much of a difference from the 4.3 if I am to be honest.However if you are not necessarily brand loyal I think the premium for a 6.2 is a bit much when there can be similar performance had from some of the other brands for less coin.

GM’s 6.2 has been for many years the most powerful full size truck able to tow and carry more than all competitors and its only been recently that the competitors started coming out with competitive trucks. You’re going to be paying much more for a ford or dodge with that kinda power only cause ford only offers it in their raptor or Shelby and dodge the same thing, their new TRX performance truck but the key is towing capabilities too and not just speed and off-road capabilities. I’ve owned a huge amount of high dollar trucks and SUV’s, GM’s 6.2 is by far, today, best bang for your buck. Go get yourself one and you’ll never look back.

From all those i know with the 6.2 it is the way to go.

GM is raking in the $$$ on the 6.2  There is no way there is that much of a difference in manufacturing between a 5.3 and 6.2.  I'm sure every time one gets purchased the bean counters at GM just smile.

Lots of different components go into the manufacturing of the 6.2 as well as everything around it. Believe me, it’s very much worth it!