jaxcam02

How much have you paid for full paint correction and coatings

New to coating, I used to do clay bar polished once every other year and wax twice a year. Can coating be done easily at home? I would love Ke to save some money if it’s not too difficult. Plus it’s also enjoyable to detail your own car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did coating at home myself. With the product I used you need to have a place to keep vehicle inside 24 hours to let the ceramic dry before adding the final spray.  In hot and dry weather the cure times will be less.

I used Adams ceramic coat kit and it was as easy as wax. Its a slower process as you can only do a 24" x 24" section at a time. You need to buff it down with the microfiber after about a minute or two to level the product but the process could not have been easier for me. Its a very forgiving product.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/coatings/adam-s-ceramic-paint-coating-kit.html

11 hours ago, Blk17Machinep said:

Get that thing polished and coated and you’ll see what I mean about no metallic. It just looks dumb imo. Go look at a black ram or a black tundra black ford the majority will have flake in the paint adding depth and gloss. I coated a tundra the other day man that black was beautiful. 

I’ve never had paint chips repair that the paint matched. same codes. It won’t match. In the future wax the area around the repair, new paint won’t stick to that wax leaving paint only in the chip. 

Make sure you go with a well known coating brand. Cquartz. Gtechniq. Servfaces. Opticoat. 

Can you explain this chip repair process a little more in depth?  Once you wax and apply new paint on chip, do you go back over with anything else?

21 minutes ago, diegosaurus said:

Can you explain this chip repair process a little more in depth?  Once you wax and apply new paint on chip, do you go back over with anything else?

There are tools like dentist looking hooks with small points. Use that to grab a small dab of paint. When applying to the vehicle take something like a q tip and apply wax all around the chip area, this will prevent the paint going where you don’t want it. Dab the small paint on the chip and let fully dry. The paint won’t stick to anything but the chip area because of the wax surrounding it. You will probably have to take 2-2500 grit sandpaper to level it out then polish the area back.Chip repair is very tedious work and it’s very hard to get perfect results. 

Wrap with a ppf or paint protection film for the ULTIMATE protection. You can layer a coating on top of a ppf. 

ONLY professional use products are “9H” such as ceramic pro and ceramic pro reserve. Gtechniq is a great product. 

I recommend cquartz uk to all consumers its available online for the public. Apply and then spray reload to really set it. Use Carpro products for longevity. 

My go to Si02 spray Ian G2v3 by gtechniq incredible beading properties and super glossy 

9 minutes ago, Blk17Machinep said:

ONLY professional use products are “9H” such as ceramic pro and ceramic pro reserve.

What do you mean by "professional use products"?

4 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Ones that you cannot buy. Not sold to the public. You have to be certified by that company to install that product. Usually a course or certification is required. Optimum had a coating like that but the biggest one would be carpro. Last I checked carpro was choosing the detailer they wanted to carry it and only chose one shop in a city to make it more exclusive. You can look up their certified detail shops online. You will be paying a premium for the coating. It will be a successful shop. Anyone can install carpro cquartz uk but only  few can use the premium stuff  

4 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Posted (edited)

Well then your statement is not correct.  You said ONLY professional use products are “9H”

From Adams website.

• Ceramic coating at 9H hardness rating
  • Durable, long lasting paint protection
  • Hydrophobic properties repel water
  • Outstanding gloss and depth
  • Made in USA.png

This is definitely sold to the public. I have not looked around, but I think 9H is becoming more common.

Edited by rrmccabe

Everyone looking for a coating just order a small bottle of carpro iron-x go to the store get the 2 pack clay kit from mother’s. Order gtechniq c2v3. If you want to compound and polish that’s up to you but use a random orbital or a dual action. I would use meguiars 101 followed by 205, isopropyl alcohol at 14-20% wipe down to remove oils left on. 

Proper prep work is key. You don’t decontaminate the paint then it’s useless. 

Spray car with iron x wait for it all to bleed out 

Wet paint with water 

2 buckets one soap other water 

mitt wash using the clay following the mitt 

rinse car 

dry

spray g2v3 following instructions and you will gave yourself a great slick finish for at least 3 months. Couldn’t be easier, or cheaper. 

Detailedimage.com has everything you could ever want. Also autogeek. Read up it’s a wild detailing world out there 

2 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Well then your statement is not correct.  You said ONLY professional use products are “9H”

From Adams website.

• Ceramic coating at 9H hardness rating
  • Durable, long lasting paint protection
  • Hydrophobic properties repel water
  • Outstanding gloss and depth
  • Made in USA.png

This is definitely sold to the public. I have not looked around, but I think 9H is becoming more common.

Adams has great products for consumers and professionals alike but they don’t offer any “premium” products. I’d like to see that coating hold to 9H 

Well they might argue with you about the lack of "premium" products but since I am not a professional detailer I really cant say.

I am happy with most of what I have used of their products.

Adams hasn’t great products for professionals and weekend warriors. All their stuff works. In the industry you will find a lot of people use other brands of coatings. Not saying Adams isn’t great, I haven’t tried it. I would. But it’s not the same coating as the ones you have to be certified by that company to use. The molecular structure is different. Don’t know how or why. I’m not certified by anyone. 

I wont comment for a couple years.  I have only had a coating for a couple weeks so no room to talk :)

Except it does rinse clean nice.

12 hours ago, CYbanana said:

New to coating, I used to do clay bar polished once every other year and wax twice a year. Can coating be done easily at home? I would love Ke to save some money if it’s not too difficult. Plus it’s also enjoyable to detail your own car.

Wax usually only lasts 2-4 weeks. Paint sealant 4-6 months and a ceramic sealant is advertised for 2-5 years. Check out cquartz. Budget friendly and seems to have good results. I have some cquartz uk, but haven’t had the time for a 8-12hr detail on my own vehicle. Lol. 

1500 is right but not 5 year. Maybe 2years

Wax usually only lasts 2-4 weeks. Paint sealant 4-6 months and a ceramic sealant is advertised for 2-5 years. Check out cquartz. Budget friendly and seems to have good results. I have some cquartz uk, but haven’t had the time for a 8-12hr detail on my own vehicle. Lol. 

Thanks for the information. I will give cquartz a try. Is cquartz uk better for colder region? I live in Michigan, curing temp is not an issue since it’s summer now but will I have any benefit in winter after applying?