In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Did You Ever Used a Truck Bed Cover ?

I am recently decided to buy a tonneau cover/truck bed cover for my truck. I have to carry so many things as a traveler and it's necessary to keep them rain free. One of my friend suggested me to have a tonneau cover and switched off after then. I want to hear from you about few top rated tonnaeu cover reviews of this time. I know you guys are going to select one for me. I must share what my friends are going to send me.Thanks in advance.... 

A lot of them have similar designs and for all practical purposes work the same.  But access cover is my favorite hands down. The fit is exceptional and durability top notch. I bought my first Access cover in 92 and have had 4 of them on different trucks over the years. A+

Some prefer the trifold covers but I like the roll-up  because of extra space you get.

• Like 2

I like the soft roll up ones because I have access to use the full bed when I want to. I recommend TruXedo Lo Pro. Its at least 99% water tight, and if you lock the tailgate, its not able to open from the outside.

If you never need to put larger items in the bed, then the solid tri-fold covers can be a little more secure. But they are no more water tight. They have hinges between the panels and trap some water on top, where the soft ones are a continuous sheet that drains over the bed rails.

I did not have one on prior three trucks but my 13 I bought used had one and I love it. Keep tools and misc stuff without having to worry about it. Good access and it comes off in five minutes. I got the tri fold that just clamps on at the front and rear. Easy off if I need to. Give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/26/2018 at 10:03 PM, rrmccabe said:

A lot of them have similar designs and for all practical purposes work the same.  But access cover is my favorite hands down. The fit is exceptional and durability top notch. I bought my first Access cover in 92 and have had 4 of them on different trucks over the years. A+

Some prefer the trifold covers but I like the roll-up  because of extra space you get.

Thanks for mentioning the advantage of a roll-up cover. 

I had three different ones on the last three new trucks I had. The shell made my truck look like a suburban worked well. The next was a roll lock, leaked and needed gloves to open got real hot. The one on my 14, I got a deal from the dealer. It was a hard tri-fold with a soft cover over it. No leaks worked real well.

I have had several different covers even a Peragon. My favorite is this last one a FoldACover it is a 4 part hard panel cover and the front leaf folds back for access to the front of the bed. I have seen no water except right by the tailgate and I am sure that if I installed the tailgate seal that would probably go away.   I actually just moved it from my old Blue 2017 to this brand new black 2018 . Love this cover.   

IMG_5908.jpg

IMG_3438.JPG

I’ve had lots of them, the folding type (BakFlip) were the worst, super cheap and thin aluminum with rivets that popped and ripped through the aluminum when I hit a bump. In addition, my rear window was completely blocked when you had to use the full truck bed. My favorite has been RollNLock and Retrax series. Never have I had any issues but they take about 10” from the upper front part of the truck bed due to the canister but still allowing underneath approx 10” underneath usage. I especially love the RollNLock locking the tailgate too for extra security in case prying tools are used.

I’ve had lots of them, the folding type (BakFlip) were the worst, super cheap and thin aluminum with rivets that popped and ripped through the aluminum when I hit a bump. In addition, my rear window was completely blocked when you had to use the full truck bed. My favorite has been RollNLock and Retrax series. Never have I had any issues but they take about 10” from the upper front part of the truck bed due to the canister but still allowing underneath approx 10” underneath usage. I especially love the RollNLock locking the tailgate too for extra security in case prying tools are used.

That’s interesting, my roll lock had a release that was on top like a dial. Couldn’t touch it without gloves burn my fingers. Pretty soon after purchase I had to drill a hole on one side for a bolt to keep one side locked. Didn’t matter, it leaked any way. The trifold I got from my GMC dealer was hard with a soft cover you could jump up and down on it and it never leaked. The latched was on the under side, you open the tailgate to get to it. No gloves needed.

That’s interesting, my roll lock had a release that was on top like a dial. Couldn’t touch it without gloves burn my fingers. Pretty soon after purchase I had to drill a hole on one side for a bolt to keep one side locked. Didn’t matter, it leaked any way. The trifold I got from my GMC dealer was hard with a soft cover you could jump up and down on it and it never leaked. The latched was on the under side, you open the tailgate to get to it. No gloves needed.

My RollNLocks have never leaked, or burned my fingers although I understand what you’re talking about with the twist knob being black but I assure everyone that “ANY” black cover or knobs will attract heat and will burn depending on the amount of time your skin is touching the black texture. In addition, having your cover folding up to where it’s covering your rear view is absolutely unacceptable being very unsafe for vehicle occupants as well as anyone nearby. It’s all about functionality and security, you get what you pay for.

Would you rather have Interlocking thick aluminum panels with or without thick vinyl top with steel ball bearings and steel shafts running inside hardened aluminum guides OR, styrofoam sandwiched between thin aluminum panels with rivets attaching locking mechanisms to the thin aluminum styrofoam?

My RollNLocks have never leaked, or burned my fingers although I understand what you’re talking about with the twist knob being black but I assure everyone that “ANY” black cover or knobs will attract heat and will burn depending on the amount of time your skin is touching the black texture. In addition, having your cover folding up to where it’s covering your rear view is absolutely unacceptable being very unsafe for vehicle occupants as well as anyone nearby. It’s all about functionality and security, you get what you pay for.

Would you rather have Interlocking thick aluminum panels with or without thick vinyl top with steel ball bearings and steel shafts running inside hardened aluminum guides OR, styrofoam sandwiched between thin aluminum panels with rivets attaching locking mechanisms to the thin aluminum styrofoam?

I realized later the roll lock I had was 10 years ago, so I guess improvements were made. Anything with a latch on top is going to burn your fingers especially in Texas. The folding cover I got from my GMC dealer, it wasn’t cheap by the way was flush with the bed and latch underneath. When folded it didn’t even get in the line of site in the back glass. It was some kind of composite, defiantly not aluminum. He was asking opinions, he will get many.

I realized later the roll lock I had was 10 years ago, so I guess improvements were made. Anything with a latch on top is going to burn your fingers especially in Texas. The folding cover I got from my GMC dealer, it wasn’t cheap by the way was flush with the bed and latch underneath. When folded it didn’t even get in the line of site in the back glass. It was some kind of composite, defiantly not aluminum. He was asking opinions, he will get many.

Anything bought through the dealership isn’t cheap now a days especially. There are all kinds out today in the market and mostly owned and distributed by the same company.
There’s a place called Discount Hitch on I45, Houston Tx that I visited last year and was amazed at their enormous selection of bed covers. You can see for yourself the actual differences between them all, material used, functionality and most of all “Security” which is why I highly recommend the aluminum interlocking type with ball bearing rolling rods moving in metal guide rails because of security being #1.