So the sales guy at the RV store says I can tow this trailer.  Problem is, he wants to sell trailers, and I dont have a death wish (neither does my truck)

The trailer is a 32', 7995 lb GVWR (6195 lb dry) with 604 lb hitch weight.  I'd like to pull it with a Sierra 1500 crew cab RWD with the 5.3L, 3.42 gear ratio.

Anybody have any experience with a similar setup?  Any recommendations?

2 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

A 32 footer with a 1/2 ton is crazy IMO. And that quoted weight seems really light for a 32 footer.

Ya it does seem a little but we used to have a 32' that we used our 6.2 to tow. And it was about 9klbs

1 hour ago, NWI Denali said:

A 32 footer with a 1/2 ton is crazy IMO. And that quoted weight seems really light for a 32 footer.

Got the specs from the RV dealers website.  So I trust those, but just wanted to get a consensus from all you guys with first hand experience.

Have a 29' about the same weight and didn't like the tow experience with the 1500, tail was wagging the dog at that length.  Upgraded to a 2500 gasser and night and day better towing experience. 

This topic was recently "discussed" and you will find the mathematicians will say this is an acceptable towing situation. As  j-ten-ner suggests, give yourself more room for comfort.  My truck is capable of pulling 7,000 lbs and I kept my search at the dry 4500  lb range. If you can afford to upgrade your truck to a 2500 your towing experience will be more enjoyable.  However, if you will only pull the trailer occasionally and a 2500 is not affordable to purchase and operate, then your 1500 should be suitable for the task you describe!

• Like 1

The big thing I question is the hitch weight most 32 Ft i have seen put closer to 900LBS that seems off.

I'm pulling a Jayco Eagle 288rls  It has a 28 foot box the trailer is 30Ft full length.

I have had 0 issues with pulling it so far.

The farthest I tow it  is 161 miles away over almost all flat. We also only use it three or 4 times  summer so I can't justify going to a 2500.

Plus the guy I work with has a 2500 double cab 4x4 6.0 and he is using 2x more fuel a week then I am on our daily commute to work and my drive is slightly longer then his.

He is downgrading to a 1500 as soon as he is able.

So it comes down to how you will use it. If you are taking 1500 mile trips your situation is different then mine.

GM publishes capacities. These are not numbers they pull out of their A$$ and the number also has built in safety margin arrived at by real engineers.

If you are a normal rational person and not trying to tow at 90mph there is no reason you cannot tow something within specs without worry.

Trailers that size have their own brakes that are capable of stopping more than their own weight.

If you use a WDH you are better off setting it light than cranking it down. Too much WDH can unload the rear axle and cause the tail to wag the dog.

If the rear sags a bit when loaded air bags or sumo springs will help.

Yet another thread here where the incessant "Follow the Manual " crowd seems to make an exception for towing.

Edited by Pearl2017
  • Like 5

My (5.3 max tow, cc, standard bed) truck does very well with our 35’ camper. I’d have to look but I think dry is around 7500 and loaded is 9500 on longer trips. I have a Hensley Arrow hitch which is amazing. We just added another 1100 miles this past weekend Michigan/Kentucky and had zero white knuckles. I set the cruise at 65 and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1