2017 Canyon 8 Speed Absolutely Horrible

Anyone have 8 speed transmission issues?

It shifts way to quick into high gears, press on the gas its like you have a standard trans and forgot to down shift, its starts doing the chug a lug. 

Press a little more and you get the dreaded torque convertor shudder. Press a little more on throttle and it drops 3 or 4 gears and is screaming!

Then there is the slow reverse engagement in the morning after it sits over night. And the next reverse engagement is so hard it shakes the whole drivetrain! I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have any issues. I dread going to the dealer for transmission issues at 7 thousand miles. I would trade it but ill loose thousands. I am really amazed GM would let this transmission out the door with all these problems.There are a few bulletins out with the issues I have. Anyone have any fixes done that solved the problem? One of the bulletins involves a transmission flush with mobil 1 trans fluid,im not buying that. The shudder is slowly getting worse,has to be wrecking the torque convertor clutch! 

Edited by Canyon Conundrum

It's under warranty, at least let them try to fix it before bitching about it.  You know of the bulletins that address the very issues you are complaining about, but you don't want them to do the work described in the bulletins for whatever reason.  If the service bulletin says to flush with Mobil 1, you don't pay for it, GM does.  Part of the warranty. 

Thanks for reply.

I called the selling dealer for an appointment.

They  currently do not have a transmission tech.

Would be another 2 weeks.

I know I am doing more damage to torque convertor meanwhile.

But the selling dealer is best for warranty work and if it comes to it lemon law 

Welcome to the 8 speed world. It's the land of confusion for sure. No one knows how to fix them and if you're lucky enough to get one issue fixed another pops up.
When it works right it's a great transmission...or so I hear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No one can fix it because it is a pisspoor design that should never have been released to the public in the condition it was. Rushed out to keep up with other 8 speeds out there already. I am the guy who gets to try and fix the unfixable. I am the transmission guy at a GMC Buick dealer and I can tell you from experience in dealing with this piece of shit since 2014- cut your losses and get rid of it now.You will never be happy with it. Fast adapts, calibration update after update, valve body replacements and the triple flush on Canyon and Colorado and the one time flush on everything else.Band aid at best.Hopefully the ten speeds will be better. Haven't had one complaint yet and they have been out for a while now and the eight speeds were bad from day one.

• Like 3

That's the feeling I am getting with the posts in here.

Its the unfixable.

But 4 tries in CT should qualify for the lemon law

I hate to just flat out trade it,ill take a beating.

I should have bought a 2016 with the 6 speed-

Which GM vehicles have the 10 speed?

1 hour ago, mjm-1957 said:

No one can fix it because it is a pisspoor design that should never have been released to the public in the condition it was. Rushed out to keep up with other 8 speeds out there already. I am the guy who gets to try and fix the unfixable. I am the transmission guy at a GMC Buick dealer and I can tell you from experience in dealing with this piece of shit since 2014- cut your losses and get rid of it now.You will never be happy with it. Fast adapts, calibration update after update, valve body replacements and the triple flush on Canyon and Colorado and the one time flush on everything else.Band aid at best.Hopefully the ten speeds will be better. Haven't had one complaint yet and they have been out for a while now and the eight speeds were bad from day one.

Wow....I didn’t realize they had this many issues. 

Edited by Jchoi

55 minutes ago, Canyon Conundrum said:

That's the feeling I am getting with the posts in here.

Its the unfixable.

But 4 tries in CT should qualify for the lemon law

I hate to just flat out trade it,ill take a beating.

I should have bought a 2016 with the 6 speed-

Which GM vehicles have the 10 speed?

You not liking the way it shifts doesn't mean they will lemon law it.  Sorry for your luck.

I don't hear as many issues about the 1/2 ton 8 speeds.

What are you saying? It has to break down -not run for lemon law?

There are bulletins on the exact issue I am having-

If it cant be corrected after 4 attempts I am sure the lemon law would come into play

There are more issues with 1/2 ton 8 speeds -

Bigger truck -quicker to have shudder

Reading your post it sounds like you have buyers remorse and are looking for a way out of the vehicle.  Your complaints are a lot about how you don't like how quickly it upshifts and if you push it down harder it just takes off, nothing in the middle.  That's how they designed it, no, lemon law won't do a thing about that.

The complaints about shudder and such you acknowledge there are TSB's about it, but haven't even brought it in.  You've just decided it won't get fixed and you're going to have to lemon law it. 

I say you walk into the dealership with that attitude and tell them they need to lemon law it.  Let us know how it goes.

Edited by shift_grind

I am going to bring it in for service.

No where in my post said I am not going to.

My selling dealer currently has no transmission tech.

I have to wait 2 weeks and get back to them.

I did say I dread going to the dealer for transmission issues at 7 thousand miles.

That shouldn't happen.

Id be more than pleased if they can fix it!

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, mjm-1957 said:

Thanks for the info.  I was considering buying a new 2018 Colorado 4X4 WT.  It has a 3.6 V6 and 8 speed automatic.  It is a shame that they do not offer a nice 6 speed manual transmission with that package.  Considering all the vibration problems with full size Silverados and this 8 speed auto transmission issue I do not think buying a new Chevy truck is a good idea now, no matter what the discounts.  I could actually get about $9 k off the sticker with my GM card rebate included on that Colorado, but I'll pass.     I do not need a headache, I will keep driving my 2006 Silverado with the old 4 speed auto.  No issues with the engine or transmission so far (although the truck has low mileage).

I got rid of a 2004 Silverado Step side. Regular cab. It had 134k no other issues but rockers were starting to rust out. I figured it was time to let it go. Should have fixed rockers and kept it. 

Edited by Canyon Conundrum
  • Like 1