thearizonacowboy's 2018 2WD Offroad Build

thearizonacowboy

14 hours ago, 14x4 said:

Thanks for the response. I meant a picture of the wheel well, sorry. Looks like you took out plenty of the liner, and some metal. Did you completely remove the sway bar, or just the links?

Oh haha sorry about that! I don't have any photos besides this one right now but I actually had to remove the entire liner for right now. I cycled the suspension for full bump and full lock and since I've been on a time crunch it was just easier to pull the liner and cut it up more later. I had to cut about 1/2" back on the firewall seam underneath the black plastic cap, remove the sway bar links, remove a few small brackets, some bending of the sheet metal so it clears at full compression, cut the lower portion of the liner pretty much all the way around and zip tie it back so it doesn't rub. Essentially this photo plus a little more trimming and pulling back on the cab side of the liner is all that's needed to clear to drive around town.

Hopefully this helps but I should be able to pull the wheel and take more photos soon.

20180609_135526.thumb.jpg.4c2735e544563f9d7bf630dd3191b153.jpg

9 hours ago, Nsfw302 said:

Man you went right down the exact same path that I’ve been planning on as well! Looking great.

As far as a skid plate goes, SDHQ has one similar to Mazzulla but allows you to keep the factory tow hooks. Also local to AZ. I’m in Scottsdale myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck yeah! Very happy with the truck so far. Coming from full blown offroad trucks I thought I would be disappointed with this setup but I've been thoroughly impressed. So happy with the handling characteristics, ride quality, everything. Zero bump steer, almost no feedback in the steering wheel, once the abs is disabled it's very controllable in a slide. Absolutely love it. If you ever want to take mine for a spin or meet out in the dirt, let me know!

ETA: Just saw your noveske. I believe we have the same interests haha

Edited by thearizonacowboy
  • Like 1

• txab changed the title to thearizonacowboy's 2018 2WD Offroad Build
No shackles or deavers yet but I have them in the garage. I honestly might not put them on but we'll see!

I’ve been debating on shackles with the stock springs. What’s your thoughts on it. I’ve never had shackles what characteristics do they change other than travel?

1 minute ago, Madcow2020 said:

I’ve been debating on shackles with the stock springs. What’s your thoughts on it. I’ve never had shackles what characteristics do they change other than travel?

Well depending on which one's you go with and the type of bushings they are, it will allow the leafs to articulate quite a bit smoother. "Technically" with stock length replacement shackles you won't really gain much travel if any but your leafs won't get hung up and will  droop out consistently and smoothly haha. The shackles I have are Baja Kits which are a pretty decent brand but they're a little longer than stock so they drop the rear down about 1". Which is perfect because the Deavers I have raise the rear up about an inch so it'll sit at factory height.

If you plan on adding leafs down the road, I'd personally just grab the appropriate length shackle depending on the leafs and just rock the stock shackles for now. But that's just my two pennies.

Since I wired my radio up at midnight just before a 2 day offroad event, it was a little rushed and slightly ghetto...

So yesterday I decided to redo everything and make it bullet proof. Tried out some really cool connectors called "Posi-Lock Connectors" and they are awesome! Stronger than anything else I've used as I couldn't pull the spliced wires apart. Hit everything with some heat shrink and insulated everything for that factory look.

One less thing to worry about knowing it was done right and will last for years.

If anyone is interested in ordering the little sample kit like I did, I picked it up on Amazon here: http://a.co/cZ8lR08

They're pricey but 100% worth it!

wiring1.JPG

wiring2.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the bumper in preparation of the new one going on (hopefully within a week).

Regeared to 4.10s yesterday and currently breaking them in. I've been purposefully avoiding any type of modifications to the ecu to keep my warranty since I haven't had one in years and kinda miss it haha. Unfortunately my truck does not like the new gears in combination with the tire size and cruise control will not work anymore... In typical american fashion, I need muh damn cruise control so a programmer is en route!

Went with the DiabloSport Intune I3 so that should be here in a few days.

I'll be sure to update when the bumper parts come in!

20180717_215143_edited.jpg

20180717_214510.jpg