oh, not another "should I buy a 2500 or 1500 Silverado?" thread

Weights from the 2017 order guide : 2500 DC std box 4wd 6.0, 1500 DC std box, 4wd 6.2

Current Selections: TK25753 -- 4WD Standard Box Double Cab, GEH -- GVWR, 9500 lbs. (4309 kg) With Gas engine without (8W9) Increased front GAWR or (VYU) SnowPlow Prep Package, L96 -- Engine, Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI, MYD -- Transmission, 6-speed automatic, heavy-duty, 4SA -- SLT - (4SA)

Weight Calculator (lb.)    
..............Front.......Rear........Total
Base    3,765.4    2,616.6    6,382.0
Options    0.0    0.0    0.0
Total    3,765.4    2,616.6    6,382.0
GVWR    4,400.0    6,200.0    9,500.0
Total Payload    634.6    3,583.4    3,118.0

Current Selections: TK15753 -- 4WD Standard Box Double Cab, C5Z -- GVWR, 7200 lbs. (3266 kg), L86 -- Engine, 6.2L EcoTec3 V8, M5U -- Transmission, 8-speed automatic, 4SA -- Double and Crew Cab - (4SA)

Weight Calculator (lb.)    
..............Front.......Rear......Total
Base    3,190.9    2,040.1    5,231.0
Options    59.1    -1.8    57.3
Total    3,250.0    2,038.3    5,288.3
GVWR    3,950.0    3,950.0    7,200.0
Total Payload    700.0    1,911.7    1,911.7

• Like 1

The HD will always feel more secure when loaded or towing. It might not be a thrilling ride but it's purpose built. The truck will feel much more planted under load than a 1500. I find the ride on mine barely worse than a 1500 and under heavy load feels much better. 

The current version 6.0L/6-speed has been in the HD since 2011. You could consider finding well maintained 2011-2014 previous generation and save yourself a few dollars. They are very reliable and simple to maintain. One of the few used trucks I'd ever consider buying would be one of these.

I think most people buying a truck with towing and hauling in mind don't regret their HD but gradually regret the 1500. Like others here I did the same thing and am back in my gas guzzling, 7000lb brick. It's just better with the weights. 

• Like 2

An HD double cab would curb weight at 6300-6500lbs gas depending 2wd vs. 4wd.  About 1000-1200lbs over a DCSB 1/2 ton. 

The 6.0 is not a total slouch IMO.  It moves those HD pretty good.  Yes, the 1/2 ton with 5.3 will be faster. 

I daily drove a RCLB 2015 for 2 years.  I loved the ride compared to my 2012 ECSB 1500 I had before it.  But a 1/2 ton 2014 and up rides nice.  MPG, expect 12-14 as a daily.   

The HD would handle the 6000lbs trailer more confidently with its suspension and chassis. 

HD will give you higher payload capacity.  If you use the 10-15% tongue weight rule, that's 600-900lbs payload eaten up on the truck end.  On a 1/2 ton that drops remaining payload down more than HD will.  HD gives you a better net for people and other cargo.   

Best of both worlds IMO, might be a 5.3 NHT Max Trailer.  That way you get the towing mirrors, 10,700lbs towing capacity, higher payload than a non NHT 5.3 (should be just over 2000lbs from the ones I've looked at), and 3.73 gears.  Plus the better unloaded ride.  And AFM can be turned off rather easily.

The downsides on the 5.3 to me though are AFM lifter failure (results in the failed bank being replaced along with the VLOM), vacuum pump failure (has taken engines out because its fed engine oil as lubricant via a passage in the block, so guess where the metal goes if it fails) and the DI injectors have been a bit troublesome, as well as oil pumps.

The 6.0 is a tank, a thirsty tank.  6L90 behind it is a tank as well.              
Biggest advantage IMO is the better tow quality.... Second up bigger fuel tank. Pain the butt stopping less than 200 miles for a fill-up.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've always bought new vehicles with the expectation of keeping them for a long time.  However the years, I found that I consistently underestimated my future vehicle needs and wound up trading in far sooner than I initially expected.   First I bought a 2wd base model Ranger.  Before too long, I decided I needed a 4x4, so I traded it for a regular cab Silverado 4x4.  

Did lots of solo camping in the Silverado but then I got a girlfriend who didn't want her stuff getting  wet, so I traded the Silverado for a 2 door Wrangler.  Well, next thing I know we have a son and a couple of dogs, so I trade the Jeep in for a 4 door Wrangler.  Well, then baby girl comes along, the back seat of that 4 door Jeep was cramped anyway and the side impact protection sucks, so I decided I needed a crew cab pickup.  

Initially, I was thinking 1500 short bed, I don't tow heavy.  But I kept on thinking about how quickly I outgrew the previous vehicles, and I knew when the kids get older we'd probably want to get a big travel trailer.  Also, I remember sleeping in the bed of my father's truck growing up and would like to do some truck camping with the kids whenever the wife isn't up for it.  

So now I'm looking for a crew 6.5 bed half ton.  You know what doesn't cost a dime more than a crew 6.5 half done?  A crew 6.5 2500HD gasser.  So I bought one.  

It will be a long, long time before I need more truck than I have now.  Maybe I'll actually keep this one for a while, unlike EVERY SINGLE OTHER NEW VEHICLE I EVER BOUGHT.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  Well, until I get the diesel bug ...

• Like 3

Open the hood of a 2500hd 6.0 and see how easy it is to service. Lots of room to crawl right inside lol. Also, atleast these trucks still have grease zerks! And you can reach them! I avoid the dealers at all costs so to me this is a benefit. Every salvage yard on the planet is going to have engines for years. Body parts will be harder to find than engines for these trucks since GM keep changing styles... Thats one thing Ram does well... Keep a style and there will be parts available since they are so common. 

• Like 2

it still blows my mind that the hd trucks are about the same price as the 1/2 ton.  you get a stronger frame, better brakes, a full floating rear, stronger ifs, no afm, 4.10 and locker standard, upgraded transmission, a real clutch fan, all for about the same price. and what do you give up?  some fuel economy and a rougher ride.  suck it up and get a real truck, man.  

• Like 1

I can only imagine with all the modifying you can do on trucks. Softening the ride on a 3/4 ton should be easy. I always had at least 1000lbs in mine so no problem. You could probably take some springs out the main leaves and add heavy helpers or bags. I never needed to do it so I never experimented, I just went to a lighter truck for the ride quality and saved the heavy duty for working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I sometimes miss a softer ride, but I drive gravel quite a bit and the ride is never perfect on gravel no matter what you drive. The only time you really feel like you are in a 3/4 ton is when you hit a railroad crossing or city potholes. Loaded up on the highway is a crisp ride. My truck is only a base model so im sure I could benefit from a better set of shocks.

Sometimes I wish I had a crew cab... But its not the end of the world. There was not many to choose from when I bought mine.

• Like 1

I switched back to a 2500.

If ride is a concern, get 18" instead of 20"s (I learned this lesson when I was trying the 1500's for  couple years).

The 2500's on 18's, when empty can be aired down to greatly improve the ride ( and tire wear).  The pressure for the trucks rated load is much higher then what is required when running empty. 

I pulled this trailer from Port Huron to Phoenix and back with the 1500 5.3 NHT.

Travelled interstate. It never had problem losing speed on the grades, but it was almost always in 6th.  Sometimes as low as 4th and not more than 15 minutes total in 8th (when at interstate speed). 

Biggest annoyance was the short fuel range doing this job.  MPG was always in high single digits so range about 200 miles.  Often, due to filling opportunity locations, it was necessary to stop for fuel well before 200 miles.

In this situation, the extra 10 gallons that the 2500's carry would have made a huge difference.  

The trailer wasn't/isn't particularly heavy, but the frontal area made the 1500 work. The suspension on the 1500 makes the combo sort of float when the road had rises and dips.  The 2500 with same rig on similar road conditions always feels under control.

Similar floating/under control comparison pulling our boat -- but it gets towed twice per year, for only about 30 miles. 

Despite all the stories about what works (or doesn't) for me, or anyone else,  the answer to your 1500/2500/3500 question STILL depends on 3 things.

-- how heavy

-- how far

-- how often

• Like 2

I sure appreciate y'alls input! Lots of good info. Here's an update... I went for it! I bought the 3/4ton yesterday! Obviously I will need to put some more time in it to make an accurate assessment over various road conditions, but driving it home (only 2 hours on the interstate) my initial impression is: HOLY CRAP THIS IS SMOOTH!... So far, I can't even believe I thought it was going to be an issue. I absolutely love it so far. I sure hope I'm not speaking too early...fingers crossed! Here's a picture of it:

my2500hd.jpg

Edited by Ke32
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1