Yukon Axle Shafts Ordered

The should-be correct Yukon shafts got delivered yesterday.  I'm planning on dropping them in maybe this weekend.  I was exchanging emails with Yukon's tech support today about the shims for the carrier BL adjustment.  They highly suggested against tightening up the BL.  So they convinced me to leave it be.  I have no rear-end noise.   I'll throw the yukon shafts in and call it good. 

Drove it to work today.  All city driving to work.  On the way home I took the highway.  Ran it up to 81.  No vibration. Just feels like I'm running E-load tires :) now.  The in my but rear-end shake is gone so far.  I want to drive it around in different conditions before I open my bottle of champagne. Between the brakes and axle work I went from a paint shaker to a smooth riding vehicle for sure.  The real test will be on the highway in broad daylight in the heat of the day.  That seemed to of been the worst.  Running 77-80 on the hot FL highways at 3pm.  So far so good though.  Today's drive home was promising if it holds. Something tells me there will be a "Like new OEM axle shafts" for sale in the classifieds of this forum in the very near future. Hey, I'm not lying... it vibrated the day I bought it, that's like new. Maybe for grins I'll ship the crap OEM axle shafts to GM with a note. "Dear GM. I've spent hundreds of hours in the FL heat trying to fix your product fault.  Please accept these axle shafts from my truck as a gift, from me, to you." 

And just think.  If I went to the dealer I'd still be arguing with them about how a axle leak is not a leak and the truck doesn't shake.  I truly hope this is the end of this saga for me. 

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 2

Drove it to Orlando and back today.  Very good.  I can use my truck at traffic flow speeds now.  After doing some thinking I'm going to also switch to 75w-140 Syn Gear oil.  With the high BL i have, and now that I realized i cannot adjust the BL....   Thicker gear oil.  and that will only help when towing and/or driving in hot weather and grades.  I don't have a CAFE score :)  If I recall correctly, when the Nissan Titan came out in the early 2000's they had a lot of rear axle failures.  Nissan's answer was a finned aluminum diff cover and going to 75w-140 gear oil.  Proof it does something.  Another week or two and if my truck is still riding smooth I'll put the PML Cover back on and go to the 75/140 oil.  I'm thinking some of the vibration cause is from high BL readings.  The GM TSB even said to check it and gave a max amount, and a "recommended" amount.  So with running 70+ MPH in 100F FL weather, add towing a trailer or cargo and the rear axle is probably cooking and that 75/90 is too think for high BL. That might of been why at night my truck always ran smoother than at 2pm in 100*F weather in the sun. 

Edited by FL335i

Ran it yesterday from Tampa to Bradenton.  none of the vibration i felt before. I feel like my E-loads are a bit out of balance now.... nothing like before.  I'm happy with it.  I know for a fact when I had my tires RF Balanced I was around 30 Lbs of road force on the 9700 Hunter machine.  I watched the guy the whole time.  He killed himself trying to get lower but it was futile.  As far as I'm concerned my rear-end shake is gone.  I can now cruise at 77, 78, 79 where permissible, and not have a paint shaker.  Yes the axle shafts did something and yes I would do them again.  OEM Shafts up for sale!!!

Thanks for the updates on this never ending vibration saga. What is the part# breakdown and prices/vendors? It would be great to track how many of the truck vibration issues are resolved with these parts being replaced. I'm ready to make some purchases, just wanting to make sure the numbers are correct.

Thanks!!

Yukon Axle Shafts: YAG15812663

Axle bearings: RW2010

Axle Seals: 12471686

Diff cover gasket: 22943110

Rear Rotors: 581032P

Rear Pads: SP1707TRH

Front Rotors: 18A1705PV

Front Pads: ASP1363

What stinks is I've devolved a brake squeak when they are cold in the mornings leaving the neighborhood. Even with windows down at 5am I can't tell if it's the front or rear.  At my next oil change and tire rotation I'll probably pull all the pads and spray them with the anti-squeak coating.  I will say the brakes are super smooth and have an excellent pedal feel, initial bite and when you get on them hard they feel awesome.  EDIT: I just need to apply some brake grease to the piston/pad and on the pad mounting ear slides.  I normally do that, but figured it disappears after a while anyway.... guess not.  I'll grease all the pads at my next oil change in a few weeks and I'll be good. 

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 1