Yukon Axle Shafts Ordered

Long term update.  I'm at 93k now.  We did a Christmas vacation from FL to TN and took my truck. 75mph+ it has a slight rear-end vibration.  Below that it's smooth.  Comparing my truck now with the balanced shaft and Yukon axles is night and day.  Worth the money IMO.  and I still think some of the vibration I have is due to the high amount of R&P Backlash.  I was going to re-shim it and tighten it up, but Randy's Ring & Pinion talked me out of it as they said it would burn my gear us.  My gears are broken in, unless I replace the gear set, I can't fix the BL. I may swap out the 75/90 gear oil to a 75/140 oil to see if that helps.  What I am sure of is the vibration is worse when it's hot and sunny outside. But my RR axle is leak free to date!!! YAY, I fixed it.  And I know I have good quality axles and my vibration is very livable and only at speeds that get me speeding tickets.  So for me, 60% of my vacation ride was through GA.  And you're not doing 80 MPH down I-75 in GA like you do in FL....  So we cruised around 74mph.  Truck did only about 1mpg worse compare to when we took my wife's Enclave.  Not bad.

I've been toying with the idea of doing an aftermarket driveshaft of sorts.  maybe a 2 piece shaft... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, Brett0919 said:

Hey everyone, I've been reading on the forums for a month now, and figured I'd finally create an account. I bought a 2015 Sierra 1500, 5.3, 4wd, All Terrain Package (Z71), crew cab with the 3.42 rear end and 6 speed trans about a month ago. It has the rear end shake which I did not notice on the test drive of course. Starts around 75 and continues from there on up in the rear end. Have had the tires road force balanced, which they were out, but did not solve the issue. Dealer will be performing a picotest on Monday the 11th, but I don't see it going anywhere. If it doesn't, I'll be starting with a driveshaft balance, the rear rotors (even though mine are new), and possibly axles if needed.

What I'm looking for now, is the TSB for the rear shake issue, where they run this picotest and everything. I found it once before, but can no longer find it, and neither can the dealer. Does anyone have this TSB information? I believe there were several steps where they start with the pico test, RF balance, driveshaft balance, and so on. Thank you in advance! If I can't get this taken care of I'm dumping the truck. Can't live with the vibration.

Hey Brett0919, first time posting here, but have been following the Chevy Shakes forums for awhile.  I believe this is the file you are looking for.  Details the Pico test and the gear work.  

Information on Vibration Analysis and D...vrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra OEMDTC.pdf

Hi Steve, Thanks for sending this over to me! The picotest was completed Monday, and they told me the issue was my tires. Even though they have already been road force balanced. I have new tires being installed tomorrow, and I'm really hoping this solves the problem. They mentioned my current tires are cupped slightly, and may be defective. I'm not sold that this will fix the issue. So if it doesn't, I can now go back to them with this to dig a little deeper. Fingers crossed. Thanks again! Greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 9:44 PM, FL335i said:

Long term update.  I'm at 93k now.  We did a Christmas vacation from FL to TN and took my truck. 75mph+ it has a slight rear-end vibration.  Below that it's smooth.  Comparing my truck now with the balanced shaft and Yukon axles is night and day.  Worth the money IMO.  and I still think some of the vibration I have is due to the high amount of R&P Backlash.  I was going to re-shim it and tighten it up, but Randy's Ring & Pinion talked me out of it as they said it would burn my gear us.  My gears are broken in, unless I replace the gear set, I can't fix the BL. I may swap out the 75/90 gear oil to a 75/140 oil to see if that helps.  What I am sure of is the vibration is worse when it's hot and sunny outside. But my RR axle is leak free to date!!! YAY, I fixed it.  And I know I have good quality axles and my vibration is very livable and only at speeds that get me speeding tickets.  So for me, 60% of my vacation ride was through GA.  And you're not doing 80 MPH down I-75 in GA like you do in FL....  So we cruised around 74mph.  Truck did only about 1mpg worse compare to when we took my wife's Enclave.  Not bad.

I've been toying with the idea of doing an aftermarket driveshaft of sorts.  maybe a 2 piece shaft... 

Try taking some temperatures of the driveshaft, I almost suspect the driveshaft is just weak and flexes. Aluminum does get weaker with temperature. I just had my driveshaft balanced and I don't think it really did anything, it "might" have helped a little bit. It does seem to be slowly getting worse over time and I can't think of anything in the rear end weak enough to do that besides rotors or driveshafts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 6:44 PM, FL335i said:

Sorry to revive a old thread . Did you re use your old wheel studs or just press in new units into your yukon axles ? 

13 hours ago, FL335i said:

My yukon shafts came with OEM wheel studs already installed. So I had to sell my wheel studs on Ebay. 

Weird my Yukon axles dont have studs in them ... Part# Yag15812663 . 

14 hours ago, FL335i said:

My yukon shafts came with OEM wheel studs already installed. So I had to sell my wheel studs on Ebay. 

So i just got off the phone with Yukon and they said when they first carried this axle they were purchasing them from american axle and that is why they came with wheel studs in them and now they are made in house and do not include wheel studs ..  

6 hours ago, Slapps74 said:

I think I will order a set of axle's. give this a try. I know its not the drive shaft for me as I have a 5" aluminum unit.  I may do the brakes as well....

Im going to put mine in this weekend and see how it feels after . My vibration starts at 105km/h and gets worse at about 115km/h .

21 hours ago, Kylebr1 said:

So i just got off the phone with Yukon and they said when they first carried this axle they were purchasing them from american axle and that is why they came with wheel studs in them and now they are made in house and do not include wheel studs ..  

Where are the in-house ones made?  IIRC it was India.  I was not thrilled.  Just remember there are two part # for our shafts.  One is a bit longer which I orignally ordered.  Those did not have the studs.  Then when I swapped them out with JEGS/Yukon the correct shorter length shafts came with studs. 

10 hours ago, FL335i said:

Where are the in-house ones made?  IIRC it was India.  I was not thrilled.  Just remember there are two part # for our shafts.  One is a bit longer which I orignally ordered.  Those did not have the studs.  Then when I swapped them out with JEGS/Yukon the correct shorter length shafts came with studs. 

Sorry , yes you are right made in India not made my Aam . Put mine in today so far very smooth very different road feel will see on Monday when I go to work how they feel at 110+ kmh . Thanks for this post it has been super helpful . 

95% Vibration free center console will shake just the lightest at 115kmh plus now and i can no longer feel a vibration in the floor . I am thinking one of my back tires may be slightly out of balance i am going to try rotating front to back see if that fixes the last little bit of shake .

On 2/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, St2002walker said:

Hey Brett0919, first time posting here, but have been following the Chevy Shakes forums for awhile.  I believe this is the file you are looking for.  Details the Pico test and the gear work.  

Information on Vibration Analysis and D...vrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra OEMDTC.pdf

Funny when they tell you to put it in M5 while doing the test so it doesn't go into V4 mode. 

On 4/13/2019 at 5:56 AM, FL335i said:

Hey FL335i i have been reading your post and i had left a couple comments after i had put my axles in i have experienced much better road feel like yourself . But i still have a vibration like yourself . I dropped my truck off at my local driveline shop and had talked to them for a couple hours about the vibration and the backlash in the rear end . So all in all they had checked my backlash and said it was out of specification. They also said my drive shaft was slightly out of balance . I talked to them about the steel driveshaft and that a lot of people have had good luck with them . What they had told me was that the reason everyone is experiencing a fixed "Chevy Shake" is that the heavier steel shaft helps keep pre load on the ring and pinion so at highway speeds you wont experience the shake . He was saying with the aluminum shaft they are so thin they resonate easily even if i was to balance my shaft he thinks i will still have a issue because of the backlash . Thought i would just share this info with yourself seeing as we are both at the same point with our trucks.