Engine swap questions on a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 (Silverado) 5.3L

Hey guys, 

So I'm swapping out the engine on someones 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L 4x4. It has low oil pressure, rod knock, and blows blue on startup. 

Found a motor back East with less than 10% difference on compression numbers. 

Any tips on getting the upper bell housing bolts? Haven't gotten there yet, but it looks like dropping the cross-member to lower the rear of the motor might help, or maybe pulling the intake? What do you guys usually do? 

Also, am I correct in assuming that the plastic cover on the drivers side of the bell housing is the access point for the flex-plate bolt removal? 

Anyone got a Chilton repair manual for this thing? I can always go buy one if needed, but I though someone might have one handy. 

20180702_122542.jpg

Edited by starman8tdc

Normally, I go for the bellhousing bolts with a short socket (or a long one if they are also studs), an impact swivel (so it can angle a little, but not all over the place like a non-impact swivel), a really long extension (2+ feet long) and a ratchet and go at them from the rear of the transmission.

It was easier to do on my truck ('04 Sierra 3500, which has a 2" OEM body lift) than it was on my car (78 Impala).

It might also be easier to remove/install the engine and transmission as a unit, and then separate them once removed from the truck.

And instead of getting a fire-starter, do a short subscription to alldatadiy.com for the truck instead.  It will have WAY more detail on that specific truck vs the mostly generic info in the cheap Haynes/Chilton books.

Tell your buddy to look again, thats how you get the converter bolts.There is no starter hole, get the starter out of the way and get a swivel 15 with an air ratchet and you can get to them.