Thoughts on this rig?

So I know my 09 is at its limits, been toying with the idea of a new truck for some time. A 2500 would prob be best for our trailer. But the fuel costs for DD is hard to justify. 

Well, I came across a 2015 Sierra SLT with the max tow, 6.2, CC short box. Engine wise, I know its going to be huge improvement over my 5.3. But towing itself, will it be enough improvement? Im thinking newer truck, stiffer frame, max tow, it should = a better towing experience. Will it match a 2500, no, but for the 5-8 trips we do, it should be ok. Thoughts? 

Edited by Roscopcoletrain

13 minutes ago, i82much said:

tell us about the trailer ...

photo in signature. 2016 Springdale. On the scales its about 6800lbs on the trailer axle.  So 75-7800lbs wet with tongue weight. just under 33ft long. 

1 minute ago, xps800doo said:

Is it a 2500 6.6 no, more is always better when towing, personally would consider a wd hitch or air bags...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of course I'll run a WD hitch as I do right now. I just don't want to regret not getting enough truck. 

Get a 6.0 2500HD.  They aren't bad daily drivers, they last forever, and the 6.2 isn't exactly an economy engine anyway.  In 10 years your 6.0 will still be begging you to flog it, you'll still have all your original axle joints, ball joints, and steering gear, the trailer will be much more stable, and you might finally have to do a brake job.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, i82much said:

Get a 6.0 2500HD.  They aren't bad daily drivers, they last forever, and the 6.2 isn't exactly an economy engine anyway.  In 10 years your 6.0 will still be begging you to flog it, you'll still have all your original axle joints, ball joints, and steering gear, the trailer will be much more stable, and you might finally have to do a brake job.  

Issue im having is also finding a 2500 6.0 in my price range. Easily asking 10k more for older trucks with more kms

11 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

Issue im having is also finding a 2500 6.0 in my price range. Easily asking 10k more for older trucks with more kms

really? I would think you could find an LT  6.0 2500HD for about the same price as a 6.2 half ton.  

Just now, i82much said:

really? I would think you could find an LT  6.0 2500HD for about the same price as a 6.2 half ton.  

You would think. Have had my eye out for a few months. Almost pulled a trigger on a 2010 2500 6.0 but it was beat pretty bad. 

I should add towing right now isnt too bad. for the most part its pretty good. I've scaled it, got it dialed in well. I would think new body style, stiffer frame, max towing with stiffer springs/shocks, etc the newer truck would be much better. 

• Like 1

of course I'll run a WD hitch as I do right now. I just don't want to regret not getting enough truck. 

Know what you’r going through, I went from my 5.3 right to the 6.6 cause i said the same thing [emoji16]. A big thing with towing that sometimes is forgotten, it’s not the weight of the load but the shape of the trailer, my 7000lbs cargo trailer pulls harder then my 12,000 boat, lot more parasitic drag...

6 minutes ago, xps800doo said:

Know what you’r going through, I went from my 5.3 right to the 6.6 cause i said the same thing emoji16.png. A big thing with towing that sometimes is forgotten, it’s not the weight of the load but the shape of the trailer, my 7000lbs cargo trailer pulls harder then my 12,000 boat, lot more parasitic drag...

for sure. I know I'm towing a big ol wind sale behind me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

You would think. Have had my eye out for a few months. Almost pulled a trigger on a 2010 2500 6.0 but it was beat pretty bad. 

I should add towing right now isnt too bad. for the most part its pretty good. I've scaled it, got it dialed in well. I would think new body style, stiffer frame, max towing with stiffer springs/shocks, etc the newer truck would be much better. 

I went 2500HD because it was cheap.  A new crew 5.5 half ton LT was mid-30's, that's what I paid for my crew 6.5 2500HD work truck (35k).