Tips to Smooth Out The Ride - 2016 GMC Denali 1500

Some time back I used load levelers in the rear of my 2016 Denali 1500 for use when I pulled my trailer.  I was shocked that the ride got worse only to find that I had to make new rods for the suspension position sensors. The shocks thought the rear was under load at all time firming up the dampening.  After getting that sorted the truck went back to riding like stock but still pretty firm so I purchased a set of 18's to try.  Though there were some small differences it was not worth talking about.

I even tried reaching out to DSC Sport to purchase a new controller which I have used on my P-Cars, Vettes, GTR...... but they are working through the sports cars and not interested in trucks.  Now my thoughts have turned to modifying the leafs or removing the Magna Ride shocks from the rear and installing a traditional shock. 

I drive the truck 40-50K / year all highway and only 3-5K with a trailer, rarely putting over a few hundred pounds in the bed.  Hopefully the 2020 trucks have this worked out with the new ride option menu but until then I am keeping mine.

Anyone hear have any suggestions?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

No advice but I feel your pain. I hated the ride when I drove a denali with mag ride.

you can feel every little thing on the road. Great on a sports car, but terrible on a big boaty luxury truck

Very interesting and timely comment.  I was in contact with my favorite GM salesman yesterday and expressed interest in refreshing my '15 SLE  before the '18's are all gone.  We concluded that a Denali would be the model that would have enough improvements over my current truck and the incentives would keep the price reasonable.  I have also become hooked on the RV lifestyle and may eventually trade my TT for a smallish  1/2 ton towable 5th wheel.   Is the Denali a poor choice for towing?  I want the comfort features as my plans include a lot of touring through Canada and the US.

With that specific use in mind a Denali probably wouldn't be my first choice.  The Magnetic Ride shocks do complicate things, but the big issue is the NHT package isn't available.  Specifically for RV use, especially if there's a chance of a 5th wheel in the future, the extra payload of the NHT can really be beneficial.  A standard length box is also much better for that, and while they do exist on Denalis, it might be hard to find one.

As for the OP's issue, I do think it's possible to remove the magnetic shocks, I think I've seen threads where people do that and use something to fool the computer but I haven't paid much attention.  A good set of aftermarket shocks can provide a really good ride, there are a lot of choices out there.  I'd also suggest having Deaver make you a custom spring pack for the rear, giving them your goals so they can make a set of leaf packs that will give you the ride you want.

19 hours ago, Jon A said:

With that specific use in mind a Denali probably wouldn't be my first choice.  The Magnetic Ride shocks do complicate things, but the big issue is the NHT package isn't available.  Specifically for RV use, especially if there's a chance of a 5th wheel in the future, the extra payload of the NHT can really be beneficial.  A standard length box is also much better for that, and while they do exist on Denalis, it might be hard to find one.

As for the OP's issue, I do think it's possible to remove the magnetic shocks, I think I've seen threads where people do that and use something to fool the computer but I haven't paid much attention.  A good set of aftermarket shocks can provide a really good ride, there are a lot of choices out there.  I'd also suggest having Deaver make you a custom spring pack for the rear, giving them your goals so they can make a set of leaf packs that will give you the ride you want.

I would add with a 5th wheel I would probably shoot for a 2500.  Though my 6.2L pulls 24'L x 8.5'W x 6.5'T enclosed trailer that loaded is 8,000# trailer, the 2500 Duramax pulls it like mine pulls a 2000# trailer. 

Removing I am sure is not easy, I figured I would start with resistors but worry about dynamic feedback that will throw a light.  I like the spring idea but since I have bags already I wonder if that would help much.  I am going to give Deaver a ring and see what they have to say, I really like the idea and it appears they make a top notch product, thank you very much for the heads up!

I'm sorry, I missed the fact you have airbags.  How much air do you normally run in them?  If you have much air in them when you aren't hauling much they will firm up the ride, there may be some improvement to be had there.

We need more info? Tire brand & size, tire pressure (tires tires tires!!! will completely change how a vehicle rides )

factory on mine was... (horrible tires)

Goodyear's 

Eagle LS2

P 275 /55 R20

I run factory chrome 20" wheels with Michelins 275/55-R20 (factory size) @ 35psi rides smooth as glass even loaded. .

If you are running 22" wheels on Manga ride I have nothing to say.

I wonder if it is the airbags as well?  My 2015 Denali rides great compared to a friend of mine's 2014 Silverado, which the back end is a little harsher on bumps compared to mine.  I have 20's instead of 22's as well.  I tow a 21' boat with mine and haven't had any issues with it, actually feel as though the Magnaride controls the tow better than stock shocks.  

On 7/8/2018 at 2:42 PM, Jon A said:

I'm sorry, I missed the fact you have airbags.  How much air do you normally run in them?  If you have much air in them when you aren't hauling much they will firm up the ride, there may be some improvement to be had there.

Great point, I have tried pressures from 10 PSI up to 50 PSI.  One thought was that the dynamic velocities were to high due to the reduced spring rate and the shock was compensating with a stiffer high speed compression or rebound.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:37 AM, 05SIERRAMAN said:

We need more info? Tire brand & size, tire pressure (tires tires tires!!! will completely change how a vehicle rides )

factory on mine was... (horrible tires)

Goodyear's 

Eagle LS2

P 275 /55 R20

I run factory chrome 20" wheels with Michelins 275/55-R20 (factory size) @ 35psi rides smooth as glass even loaded. .

If you are running 22" wheels on Manga ride I have nothing to say.

I warehoused the factory 20" wheels with the LS2's in 275's, installed an OEM set of 18's with OEM Duelers but there was not much of a change.  As for tire pressures I have tried from 31-38 PSIG in the rears but did not notice a large difference. I put the LTX II's on my last 14' All Terrain and was very happy with them also.

On 7/9/2018 at 8:03 AM, kylant said:

even though you lengthened the rod for the Magneride, you should probably have a "trim height relearn" done anyway. 

the 22's with 45 profile tires ride like bricks, change those

I did not know this is possible I am going to start researching now, being able to do a relearn would be fantastic!  My dealer has said nothing about it, and to my knowledge there was no way to do this.  Thank you so much for posting!

22 hours ago, kgkern01 said:

I wonder if it is the airbags as well?  My 2015 Denali rides great compared to a friend of mine's 2014 Silverado, which the back end is a little harsher on bumps compared to mine.  I have 20's instead of 22's as well.  I tow a 21' boat with mine and haven't had any issues with it, actually feel as though the Magnaride controls the tow better than stock shocks.  

There definitely needs to be some clarifications here.  The ride is still, particularly in the rear but the handling is leaps and bounds better than any other truck I have owned or driven.  The shocks are one of the main reasons I bought the truck.  Really my frustration is that I can make all the changes to my other cars to get the ride where I want it but GM omitted this option from the trucks and the aftermarket companies aren't interested in the market.   

Again thank everyone for your help and comments!  As of now I am hoping the Trim Height Relearn will make things better!

• 2 weeks later...

I am running air bags in my 18 Denali. I found a set from Air Lift ( Ride Control bags) (2,000lb bags) that mounts to the outside of the frame and the top of the leaf spring which does not effect your magnetic ride arm. I pull a 7000 + lb boat all over the place.. Big difference with helping with the sagging in the rear without affecting the ride quality. I also have a 2” leveling kit in the front.....   My old bags from them mounted to the axle and frame which would not work with the Denali, obviously cause of the shocks...

5425C6EC-C8EC-475F-933E-B66835C53DA0.jpeg

Edited by JohnnyH

22 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I am running air bags in my 18 Denali. I found a set from Air Lift ( Ride Control bags) (2,000lb bags) that mounts to the outside of the frame and the top of the leaf spring which does not effect your magnetic ride arm.

would you mind posing what part number you used?

thanks

Here’s a better pic so you can see how they mount. 
D0BBFB41-31F7-42A4-A7B0-73683FB34834.thumb.jpeg.b066ff83df1e0286d5177d927c65f052.jpeg

I have saw those but never really paid them much attention. They don't stiffen your ride when unloaded? Running 7 psi in the rear unloaded like regular bags?

Sent via Morse code