Should I lift or level it out?

17 hours ago, Largely Unknown said:

Great explanation!  

I have the RC 2" level on my '17, dealer installed, and am looking to take the level kit, which consists of two bottom spacers, off once I figure out how to do it safely. Then I'll get it aligned at the dealer back to spec (they have an ongoing special for $39 alignment).  This truck is my street princess, and when I'm on the road the rougher ride from the front end wears on me.  However local driving less than a half hour = no big deal.  The truck certainly looks very nice with the level.  The larger UCA's and small ball joints on the '17 are a consideration when modding. 

The best way I can think of to describe it is that with a stock suspension, your front end would have a soft dip and rebound going over a bump and then the leaf springs in the rear would be more abrupt as you pass over the same bump.  With the level, the front has the same feeling as the leaf springs on the rear.  I fall off of the speed bumps now.  

I enjoy modding my vehicles (usually the milder mods), and every now and then I have to pull back from something I've done and start again.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading about everyone's lifts and mods a great deal and definitely notice the good ones when I'm on the road.   

If I left or level it should I disable AFM? Or leave it be?

On 7/10/2018 at 10:20 PM, MANDINGO said:

Do you have a link to the lift kit you recommend? And what's a fair price for installation?

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-275-8.html 

As far as installtion goes, I've seen places charge anywhere from $400 to $1500. Personally I'm in Texas and there is a truck shop that does lifts on every corner and that to me is an opportunity to pit people against each other and drive the price down as much as possible. I was quoted that lift installed for $1200 and I decided to install it myself, it wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but I did get it done. 

• 2 months later...

I initially put the Rough Country spacers on my 2015 Silverado but I heard lots of things about them being bad for the front end.  I ended up switching to the Bilstein 5100's all around.  I set the front shocks to the highest setting.  It definitely rides A LOT better.  I fitted 285/70R17's (I think) which are essentially 33's.  I did have some rubbing since I used offset wheels but it only took minimal grinding to clear that up.  As long as I disconnect the sway bar before I hit the trails, it does fantastic.  As soon as these tires wear out, I plan on slapping at least a 5 inch lift and 35's under it.  I want maximum articulation.

16 minutes ago, MN1(SW) said:

I initially put the Rough Country spacers on my 2015 Silverado but I heard lots of things about them being bad for the front end.  I ended up switching to the Bilstein 5100's all around.  I set the front shocks to the highest setting.  It definitely rides A LOT better.  I fitted 285/70R17's (I think) which are essentially 33's.  I did have some rubbing since I used offset wheels but it only took minimal grinding to clear that up.  As long as I disconnect the sway bar before I hit the trails, it does fantastic.  As soon as these tires wear out, I plan on slapping at least a 5 inch lift and 35's under it.  I want maximum articulation.

The 5100's are just as bad for your front suspension as the spacers were.  A true lift would be better.

Your offset wheels saved you more headaches. Good job [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5100's are just as bad for your front suspension as the spacers were.  A true lift would be better.

No they’re not. Only if you’re above 2.25”-2.50” or higher. I’ve got the 2.25” Pro-Comp billet aluminum and there’s absolutely no stress at all on my suspension.

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

No they’re not. Only if you’re above 2.25”-2.50” or higher. I’ve got the 2.25” Pro-Comp billet aluminum and there’s absolutely no stress at all on my suspension.

They both put your suspension (ball joints, cv angles) past stock angles which lead to premature wear, its not that complicated.

They both put your suspension (ball joints, cv angles) past stock angles which lead to premature wear, its not that complicated.

Oh, Oh, you’re not getting upset now are you. I’ve owned a huge amount of trucks, mostly fleet trucks for my business and modified a great many of them and with zero issues as long as I never got higher than 2.25” with added rear too. You’re right about more stress, just almost not even something to talk about with such a small level. I had more issues with lift kits than levels.

Maybe, but it can't be enough to really matter can it? Either way, she rides way better. Now I just need to find a good lift kit for it.

Sent from my SC-01K using Tapatalk

For all those folks that think levels cause damage to your suspension obviously haven’t driven in Houston, driving in Houston will destroy your wheels, tires, suspension, likely to take out every one of your fillings too.

For all those folks that think levels cause damage to your suspension obviously haven’t driven in Houston, driving in Houston will destroy your wheels, tires, suspension, likely to take out every one of your fillings too.

Have you driven through Southern California? Imagine that on a hard tail Harley. I'd take the Rocky trails over California streets any day. Everywhere else I've been is like riding on a cloud.

Have you driven through Southern California? Imagine that on a hard tail Harley. I'd take the Rocky trails over California streets any day. Everywhere else I've been is like riding on a cloud.

They both have something in common, Looks like any city or state run buy a democratic is going to have terrible infrastructure. Lol

• Like 1