Crew or Double Cab?

Crew cab standard bed is what I went with. I had a double cab prior and it was a little tight in the back seat with my 7 year old and 80 pound dog. Now we have 2 - 80+ pound dogs so I am thankful for the extra room of the double cab but am also happy I did not lose the bed space either.

I have a crew with the 6.5’ bed. I didn’t want a short bed and I needed to be able to haul all the peoples. The truck is long and big but it’s exactly what I needed. There is a ton of room in the back. My brother has a double cab and no thank you. Not what I wanted with a newborn.

Besides the fact the price diff is negligible & the extra room is nice, IMO the double cabs just don't look right. Something about the short doors w/ the regular handle & the rake of the truck, it looks 1/2 way designed. The double cab short bed is the ugliest configuration you can do IMO - the older style w/ the suicide doors & inside grab handle looks way sleeker, should've kept that design/look.

That being said, while my CC has decent room in back, I wish it was even bigger - I'm digging the mega cab Rams.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:35 AM, Crstfr said:

Crew.. my last truck i had the big bed..and small back door... sucked~. it was a ford with the small suicide door.... worst every... i'll take the bigger cab over the longer bed... although i do use my bed allot, and still can fit what i need it in.

Ford offered a Super Cab (extended) cab for many years. prior to GM offering their version.  The initial versions of DC's had no back doors  then they went to a third (suicide) door then two rear suicide doors and now regular doors.

16 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Besides the fact the price diff is negligible & the extra room is nice, IMO the double cabs just don't look right. Something about the short doors w/ the regular handle & the rake of the truck, it looks 1/2 way designed. The double cab short bed is the ugliest configuration you can do IMO - the older style w/ the suicide doors & inside grab handle looks way sleeker, should've kept that design/look.

That being said, while my CC has decent room in back, I wish it was even bigger - I'm digging the mega cab Rams.

Funny you mention Ram because Dodge actually came out with the short doors on their "Quad Cab" Ram in their third generation body. I believe a few years later (but same generation body) they released the Mega Cab.

Besides the fact the price diff is negligible & the extra room is nice, IMO the double cabs just don't look right. Something about the short doors w/ the regular handle & the rake of the truck, it looks 1/2 way designed.

I think the opposite. I think CC short beds don’t look right! Lol! Something about the cab being longer than the bed throws off the lines to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah i had the 2 suicide doors.... worst design... try loading groceries in a packed parking lot~.. 

I agree. I’ve had suicide doors on a previous truck. Accessing the back sucks in a packed parking lot for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Go for the crew cab! I had an 09 Sierra that had the older suicide rear doors. When I bought my 14 double cab. You could not put anything in the back seat bigger than a small laundry basket. When my son was born I tried fitting his carrier in the door and it would not fit either. The rear doors are way to narrow now.

The double cab and the cc short box are the same wheelbase.  The  shorter box is the result of making it a crew cab.  The CC standard box is 10-inch longer wheelbase.  I had a 2015 CC standard bed (6.5') Sierra Denali, ordered it.   I know have a 2017 Sierra Denali short box.  I don'tr need to  haul the same as I did with the 2015.  I might have opted for the standard box had there been any to be found loaded like I wanted but the dealer could not find one within 500 miles sitting on a dealers lot.  They are just not as popular and have a long sit time in inventory and dealers want inventory to move,  as one told me,   its turn and burn, cc short box outsells cc standard box 100 to 1. Friend has been selling GMC's for 30 yrs, he said that you would not believe how many trade-ins they get where the pu box is like brand new.  People buy a truck, 90% don't really need a truck.  Years ago he says, they had to scrutinize every truck trade in because the box would be beat up, now its no longer a concern.    If they get a truck with a beat up bed, its gets a spray in liner to hide it. 

Edited by elcamino

I have the double cab now. Had suicide on a ford hated them. Had full crew on a dodge and loved it. Found with double just cant get certain things in back unless tip on edge. Plastic totes for example but needed the full box.. Don't haul a lot of ppl often so went for box size.

Crew cab all the way for me.    I tried talking myself into a double cab, which have bigger rebates due to oversupply.    But it would only take one comment from a hunched-up back seat passenger to make me regret the whole purchase.   

If you're gonna spend money, spend it well.

I recently went from an 07 classic extended cab with suicide doors to a 2018 crew cab with the 6.5' bed and I love it. My 8 y/o can get in the back by herself on the passenger side (couldn't shut the doors on the 07 by herself) and I can have my baby in her car seat behind me. Also there's room for my wife up front and the dog sits between the girls in the back. Works well even on long drives. I have also had 4 full size adults in the truck and all commented on how much space and how comfortable the ride was. I'm with other people on here, the crew cab with the short bed looked funny plus I use my bed and wanted the extra space for hauling hay. I will say it was hard to find the standard bed option on the crew cab, in the end I ended up not getting the color I really wanted... The extra length hasn't bothered me at all driving, but I generally avoid the big cities and typically park farther away from everyone in parking lots than most people do, exercise is good for you right?

The 2019 T1 Crew or Double cab interior has stretched 3 more inches.

That being said a 2019 double cab should have a wider door and more seat/leg room than the outgoing K2 design.

T1 Double cab configurations will probably sell more than K2 platforms as a result.