2015 leaking rear axle seal

So fairly abruptly and it off the blue my 2015 1500 started shaking and vibrating when showing from about 40 mph and up. When braking from expressway speeds it was crazy shaking and it really felt like the breaking power had diminished.

I primarily could feel it in the seat and on the floor, not much in the steering so I thought maybe it was the rear rotors.

Took them off and they looked great, pads looked really good too. ( I'm at about 38,000 miles)

However when I was inspecting things I found the end of the drivers side axle around the seal was wet with a oily substance.

Passengers side was dry.

How hard is it to change the seal? I'm not sure if my warranty will cover it. ( GM certified until 41,000 miles)

By the way I decided to check the front and found the pads in great shape but the rotors were grooved and the rust on the inside edge was really raised up and rough. My tools we at work so I used a Wagner paint eater and removed a bunch of rusty material.

Stops are better now but not smooth like they should be.

Anyway back to the seal, what would cause it to go bad this early? I've had many, many trucks with high miles but never a bad seal. 0e82b37019e7b5b5f79432f32299ecec.jpg179ca2e5aa3fe0033a6367fcfa160637.jpg6c4ec41e350102e354fecf8d8be12ec4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club.  My RR axle seal was done at 16k under warranty and now at 82k it's shot again.  And mine shakes.... so I'm convinced they are related.  Good luck with the dealer.  I fought my local dealer and they told me some oil leak was normal and they would not fix it.  SM even told me don't worry about it, I have the 100k power-train warranty if it fails before 100K.  These new 12 bolt axles SUCK. I just unboxed my Yukon axle shafts 10 minutes ago. I rather rebuild the axle myself with Yukon parts and know its done right than deal with morons at the dealer who think leaking axles are normal.  GOOD LUCK. 

PS-  The 12 bolt is a C-clip semi-floating axle design. Be sure to grease the shaft when putting it back in and be careful with not letting it rest on the new seal.  The 12 bolts are either a 9.5" Ring gear for the 5.3, or a 9.76" for the 6.2.  The V6's get a 8.6" or whatever 10 bolt. 

Edited by FL335i

• 11 months later...

It looks like I am joining the club - 2014 Sierra with less than 64K on it and when I went to get my tires done my tire guy said I had some "moisture" at the right rear axle. He suspects it is a seal - cannot diagnose without diving deeper into it.

I recently had a 60K service done in February at the dealer - they replaced all my fluids and did a minor service. I figured I would be good to go for another 50K.

When I brought it back to the dealer to fix my A/C (known problem that they did not recall because it was not a safety issue?).

I mentioned it... said they must have missed it when did the inspection and did the service to change my differential  fluid and brake fluids.

I hit my 5 year date on 5/31/2019 - they said it was out of warranty!

Really?  A couple weeks past the 5 year / 100K drive train warranty?

Trying to get them to cover it under warranty and take some responsibility  - we will see.

I am also calling my tire and brake guy to see if it something he can do...  It will cost out of pocket.  This is total BS.

This leak does not look like it appeared overnight......

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

JJ

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

Edited by johnnymordoc

Yeah - took it in to the dealer and am trying to get them to do a warranty repair - just passed my 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty by a couple of days......

They mentioned the rear parking brakes...

Not expecting this to be a joyous occasion.

Thanks for info. 

18 hours ago, johnnymordoc said:

Yeah - took it in to the dealer and am trying to get them to do a warranty repair - just passed my 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty by a couple of days......

They mentioned the rear parking brakes...

Not expecting this to be a joyous occasion.

Thanks for info. 

My guess is that they'll at least give you a cost reduction.   I bet there are a lot of stories out there about major breakdowns just before or just after the warranty date of expiry.  I've had them on both sides of the date and find dealerships will soften the hit for a recently expired warranty.  As an aside, one such experience with a 1990 Ford prompted me to always take my truck in for a thorough inspection just prior to a b to b or a powertrain warranty end date.  This practice  has resulted in detection and repair of a warranty item on occasion.