Longest Lasting? GM Trucks and SUVs Top Lists Of Most Driven Older Vehicles

Gorehamj

Yeah vehicles aren't really designed to sit that much.. I know a few guys with low mileage older trucks and they always seem to be having odd problems...

Just now, Imcrazy said:

Yeah vehicles aren't really designed to sit that much.. I know a few guys with low mileage older trucks and they always seem to be having odd problems...

If they sit outside, they go to hell fast. Sitting in a garage only seems to harm modern junk. My older cars used to sit outside all winter long unused, and always fired right up every Spring. Never had any major issues either, aside from the occasional oil leak, or hose that blew, or slipped off.

My wife has a 2014 Malibu and has 23K+ on it.  It runs like a top and sits in the driveway unless we are off on vacation, when it sits in the garage.  So far no problems (knock on wood).  My 2017 Silverado 1500  has about the same mileage and has had to have two fuel injector assemblies replaced (both were plugged up).  Both were replaced under warranty.  When the check-engine light appeared, I had Onstar run a diagnostic and send me the code.  I gave the codes to my service provider at the Chevrolet dealer and they showed which injectors were clogged.  They were very very happy to replace them but were concerned about the quality of the gasoline I was using.  I told them I only run Premium.  They complained about the gasoline these days.  I think it was defective parts delaminating rather than the fuel but you never know.

Around here, I see new Fords and Dodges but rarely see an older one.  But I see a lot of older Chevy and GMC trucks.  Interesting.

My '86 Grand Marquis ran the OE injectors for 28 years, 220k miles without ONE problem - even on the crap fuel we're sold today. My '93 Volvo 940 is still on OE with 170k+ on her. That's the one thing on my '07 Silverado that hasn't failed ... yet ... At 94k now. Everything else has, though, right from the first day I drove the thing with 40 miles on the clock.

Bottom line is, it's NOT the fuel in this case.

I have an 18 year old Acura, 13 and 7 year old Hyundai just maintenance. All on original ac too. My 27 year old Chevy truck still has R-12 working ac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today we are running engines with much much much tighter tolerances.  Running a good fuel is essential.   Premium may work well, but it's going to be better if you are running a top tier fuel.  They will have the additives in them that will do the most good, and even then, it won't hurt to run some proven additives such as BG44K and Techron.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:52 PM, Jsdirt said:

They're all junk in the 21st Century. I can assure you, any '96-up vehicle on the road after 10 years has cost the owner a pile of money to keep it going. ....

Mrs. has 115K on her Lexus ES 300, I have 272K on my Acura TL. Have 45K on my LT and have done nothing but oil changes. Junk were the cars from the 60's and 70's that you considered yourself lucky to get 100K on it. And they all rusted out then. Not now. Junk? Think not.

3 hours ago, Hate Work said:

Mrs. has 115K on her Lexus ES 300, I have 272K on my Acura TL. Have 45K on my LT and have done nothing but oil changes. Junk were the cars from the 60's and 70's that you considered yourself lucky to get 100K on it. And they all rusted out then. Not now. Junk? Think not.

HAHAHAHAA! Another modern car lover who knows nothing about what he speaks. Dude - your LT is 3 friggin years old!!! It had better still be running great!!

Come talk to me in 10 years, and tell me how rust-free your '16 is .... :D

There's that 100k internet myth again! :lol:  I have to keep telling every one of you that keeps coming on here with that gem how that myth began - older cars had 5-digit odometers. I can't expect most to know that, since they weren't even born yet. The reason why that myth started is, once you reach 100k, nobody was really sure how many actual miles were on the car! Take my '86 Grand Marquis for example - I'd bet in the condition it's in, people would believe the 53,000 miles odometer reading ... but that's 253k! I bought the car with just 68,000 miles on it 15+ years ago! What a piece of junk! :lol:  SO, somebody buys a car that's showing 96k on the clock, the engine blows, and now they call the car junk. What they don't realize is, that engine has been running for decades, and could have up to 500k miles on it! With regular oil changes, this was common in the day - been there!

Yeah, Toyota makes great vehicles -  they're better than GM, that's for sure. But, 60's cars weren't junk, and neither were the early 70's (up to 1972 - the last good year). Emissions crap in '73 ruined alot of great engines, but the cars themselves were still pretty much the same ... that is until '78 when things really went downhill as far as interiors, and car designs themselves. Even with the crappy designs and ugly, cheap styling, those cars would run circles around modern stuff in terms of reliability. The bigger the car then, the more reliable it was. 

Do an eBay search for, say, 1955-1972 cars, and tell me how many you see ( you can go back even farther than that, all the way to the beginning). Ever wonder why that is? Think about it. Now look at how many unrestored survivors are there. Some may not look pretty, and some will ... but they are still here!  They didn't survive that long by being junk, that's for sure! Now expand that search to big luxury cars - now you can go '55-'87.

Most people had mechanical aptitude in those days, passed down from their parents as a matter of survival. People today are spoiled to death compared to that generation. You'd have to teach most of them how to use a spark plug socket ... and then point out where the plugs are ... Back in those days, minor adjustments were common on long road trips. Took 5 minutes with BASIC hand tools, and you were on your way. That's not JUNK - that's mechanically controlled ignition - no electronics whatsoever.

Here's a 1937 John Deere that I got running the other day. Apologies for the 80p, 9 year old (the phone, not the footage) flip-phone footage. Boy, what a piece of junk this thing is to still run and operate 81 years after it left the showroom! 

0721181410.3g2

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

HAHAHAHAA! Another modern car lover who knows nothing about what he speaks. Dude - your LT is 3 friggin years old!!! It had better still be running great!!

Come talk to me in 10 years, and tell me how rust-free your '16 is .... [emoji3]

There's that 100k internet myth again! :lol:  I have to keep telling every one of you that keeps coming on here with that gem how that myth began - older cars had 5-digit odometers. I can't expect most to know that, since they weren't even born yet. The reason why that myth started is, once you reach 100k, nobody was really sure how many actual miles were on the car! Take my '86 Grand Marquis for example - I'd bet in the condition it's in, people would believe the 53,000 miles odometer reading ... but that's 253k! I bought the car with just 68,000 miles on it 15+ years ago! What a piece of junk! :lol:  SO, somebody buys a car that's showing 96k on the clock, the engine blows, and now they call the car junk. What they don't realize is, that engine has been running for decades, and could have up to 500k miles on it! With regular oil changes, this was common in the day - been there!

Yeah, Toyota makes great vehicles -  they're better than GM, that's for sure. But, 60's cars weren't junk, and neither were the early 70's (up to 1972 - the last good year). Emissions crap in '73 ruined alot of great engines, but the cars themselves were still pretty much the same ... that is until '78 when things really went downhill as far as interiors, and car designs themselves. Even with the crappy designs and ugly, cheap styling, those cars would run circles around modern stuff in terms of reliability. The bigger the car then, the more reliable it was. 

Do an eBay search for, say, 1955-1972 cars, and tell me how many you see ( you can go back even farther than that, all the way to the beginning). Ever wonder why that is? Think about it. Now look at how many unrestored survivors are there. Some may not look pretty, and some will ... but they are still here!  They didn't survive that long by being junk, that's for sure! Now expand that search to big luxury cars - now you can go '55-'87.

Most people had mechanical aptitude in those days, passed down from their parents as a matter of survival. People today are spoiled to death compared to that generation. You'd have to teach most of them how to use a spark plug socket ... and then point out where the plugs are ... Back in those days, minor adjustments were common on long road trips. Took 5 minutes with BASIC hand tools, and you were on your way. That's not JUNK - that's mechanically controlled ignition - no electronics whatsoever.

Here's a 1937 John Deere that I got running the other day. Apologies for the 80p, 9 year old (the phone, not the footage) flip-phone footage. Boy, what a piece of junk this thing is to still run and operate 81 years after it left the showroom! 
0721181410.3g2

I started driving in 1973. I wouldn’t say the 60s and 70s cars were junk. It was rare though to see them last much longer than 100K miles simply because of carburetors and erratic ignition. If you lived anywhere there was snow or ice the bodies were gone by 100K. Once electronic ignition and fuel injection came into play the engine became longer lasting. Oil had a role in that too. That would be by the early mid eighties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My grandfather and my dad always kept their vehicles at least 8 years, but they also knew how to keep them in top tune. We camped all over the country, worked them hard towing campers, utility trailers, and hauling stone and sand from the local pit for yard projects, and then sold them still running top notch with well over 100k on the clock. I do remember the '72 F100 rusting off the cab mounts in just 2 seasons ... but if you kept oiling the undercarriage every Fall, they'd last quite a bit longer. That Ford was an anomaly - I've never seen a truck rust faster than that. Although my Silverado is pretty close, I nipped that in the bud with regular oilings. The paint is another story, though - have blisters forming over the wheel wells already. So much for garaging ...

My dad put 98k on his '65 Mustang in 2 years. He was stationed up in Brunswick, ME, and had aunts, uncles, cousins, and girlfriends in Nova Scotia. Back and forth from central MA to there will rack the miles up, which he did. Nothing but regular tune ups, and oil changes. That car is probably still out there somewhere if the rust didn't get it. The odometer rolled over 3 years before he sold it to the next guy. Probably close to 200k on that one.

• Like 1

Another thing about older cars (pre-1990) is that they had a LOT more metal in them (i.e. steel).  They also weighed more and had lower horse power/torque numbers than today.  I was comparing motor specifications last week and was stunned at the differences even 20 years ago.  Yet we pulled trailers with them and never gave it much thought.  They were a little slow on long, steep grades, but they made it.

As for the odometer, I had a '76 Ford F350 Super Camper Special with a 390 V8 that I traded in at 185,000+ miles to buy a 1990 F150 Lariat 4X4.  The salesman looked at the odometer (it was 5 plus 1/10 mile digits), then opened the driver door all the way and crawled face up under the dashboard.  He wrote numbers down on his note pad and said "looks good".  I asked him why he looked under the dashboard.  He said that there is another hidden odometer that they used to verify the dashboard odometer on Ford cars an pickup trucks.  Anyway, later, the 1/10 part of the odometer was dropped and it became a six-figure, full miles-only odometer.

• Like 1

Yeah, the HP numbers were low, but they had quite a bit of torque. I miss that. I was content with my '72 El Camino signing off power-wise around 4,500 RPM - that car would pull anything, and leave one-legged patches for as long as you stayed on the pedal. :)

The other thing is, if you did blow an engine, you'd have a new one in it in an afternoon! Those days are long gone now, unfortunately ...

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Yeah, the HP numbers were low, but they had quite a bit of torque. I miss that. I was content with my '72 El Camino signing off power-wise around 4,500 RPM - that car would pull anything, and leave one-legged patches for as long as you stayed on the pedal. :)

The other thing is, if you did blow an engine, you'd have a new one in it in an afternoon! Those days are long gone now, unfortunately ...

Yeah, now you have to spend a day moving all of the shrouds and pollution control stuff out of the way just to see the engine! ?

I hear that. Spark plug changes on some newer models take as long as some transmission swaps used to back in the day.

Edited by Jsdirt