Gorehamj

Longest Lasting? GM Trucks and SUVs Top Lists Of Most Driven Older Vehicles

Yeah vehicles aren't really designed to sit that much.. I know a few guys with low mileage older trucks and they always seem to be having odd problems...

Just now, Imcrazy said:

Yeah vehicles aren't really designed to sit that much.. I know a few guys with low mileage older trucks and they always seem to be having odd problems...

If they sit outside, they go to hell fast. Sitting in a garage only seems to harm modern junk. My older cars used to sit outside all winter long unused, and always fired right up every Spring. Never had any major issues either, aside from the occasional oil leak, or hose that blew, or slipped off.

My wife has a 2014 Malibu and has 23K+ on it.  It runs like a top and sits in the driveway unless we are off on vacation, when it sits in the garage.  So far no problems (knock on wood).  My 2017 Silverado 1500  has about the same mileage and has had to have two fuel injector assemblies replaced (both were plugged up).  Both were replaced under warranty.  When the check-engine light appeared, I had Onstar run a diagnostic and send me the code.  I gave the codes to my service provider at the Chevrolet dealer and they showed which injectors were clogged.  They were very very happy to replace them but were concerned about the quality of the gasoline I was using.  I told them I only run Premium.  They complained about the gasoline these days.  I think it was defective parts delaminating rather than the fuel but you never know.

Around here, I see new Fords and Dodges but rarely see an older one.  But I see a lot of older Chevy and GMC trucks.  Interesting.

My '86 Grand Marquis ran the OE injectors for 28 years, 220k miles without ONE problem - even on the crap fuel we're sold today. My '93 Volvo 940 is still on OE with 170k+ on her. That's the one thing on my '07 Silverado that hasn't failed ... yet ... At 94k now. Everything else has, though, right from the first day I drove the thing with 40 miles on the clock.

Bottom line is, it's NOT the fuel in this case.

I have an 18 year old Acura, 13 and 7 year old Hyundai just maintenance. All on original ac too. My 27 year old Chevy truck still has R-12 working ac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today we are running engines with much much much tighter tolerances.  Running a good fuel is essential.   Premium may work well, but it's going to be better if you are running a top tier fuel.  They will have the additives in them that will do the most good, and even then, it won't hurt to run some proven additives such as BG44K and Techron.