5.3 Exhaust Suggestions

I just purchased the single side exit SLP, but I haven’t installed it yet. The clips on the net sound good, and it seems pretty quiet during cruising. We’ll see, and I’ll make sure to post when I install it. 

That would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced stock muffler with a magnaflow 18. Good tone, but was pretty quiet. Then had a shop replace resonator with some straight pipe and I clamped open the flapper valve. Very happy with it now. Wife didn't veto it either, so not too loud, lol. 

I can hear v4 a little, but it doesn't bother me. Definition of drone I think varies person to person. I'd probably unclamp my flapper to try to tame it down just a hair if I were going to be driving for hours on end, but just had 5 hours on the highway this past weekend and it wasn't bothering me. Was also pulling a small trailer, so I'm sure this scenario was worse than typical. 

I replaced stock muffler with a magnaflow 18. Good tone, but was pretty quiet. Then had a shop replace resonator with some straight pipe and I clamped open the flapper valve. Very happy with it now. Wife didn't veto it either, so not too loud, lol. 

I can hear v4 a little, but it doesn't bother me. Definition of drone I think varies person to person. I'd probably unclamp my flapper to try to tame it down just a hair if I were going to be driving for hours on end, but just had 5 hours on the highway this past weekend and it wasn't bothering me. Was also pulling a small trailer, so I'm sure this scenario was worse than typical. 

How quiet is pretty quiet did it have anymore tone to it? I’m not worried about being loud or not I just want a good sound when accelerating but something that is quiet when cruising. Maybe I’m getting old haha

These are all my setups with a Black Widow 250 muffler I've done. I do have V4 disabled. With the flapper and resonator that might help the V4 drone.

This is with just the flapper and resonator delete.

This is a cold start video with the 3rd cat delete.

How the truck is now with it exiting before the rear tire.

The last video you have to follow the link but it is with the GoPro in front of the exhaust driving down the road. Now at 5:20 when I go WOT it gets super loud because my truck has a ProCharger. The regular driving tone is not effected by it though and will give you a good idea of the sound of the muffler still.

https://youtu.be/qE18t1aH31o

Edited by Gorske

47 minutes ago, Rally_18 said:

How quiet is pretty quiet did it have anymore tone to it? I’m not worried about being loud or not I just want a good sound when accelerating but something that is quiet when cruising. Maybe I’m getting old haha

It was noticeable at startup, but beyond that, basically stock volume with improved tone. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2018 at 1:14 PM, btj_z71 said:

I would suggest just cutting out the muffler.  Easy and cheap, and you'll get the sound you want.  Leave the resonator to reduce drone.

I took out the muffler and resonator, which would be too loud for what you are wanting but it sounds great.  Here's my truck:

How do you like the dual side exit? I can't decide if I want rear or side for duals. I kind of like how the factory one looks. Was thinking about ordering another GMC tailpipe (I really like that tip).

I enjoy the side exit.  They catch all the mud and dirt though, but are easy to clean.  Put your favorite wax, ceramic coating, etc., on the tips and they stay easy to clean and looking good.  Mine are 4" tip matte black straight cut so they blend in with the truck well. I primarily went with the side exit because my understanding is that side exit is better than straight out the back when it comes to towing.  The side exit helps the exhaust to go around the trailer/cargo rather than straight into it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just put on a corsa touring, i'll try to get a vid up soon. Its got a really nice tone, not super loud at all, can't even hear it in the cab unless your getting off the line or really get on it. I think maybe some would prefer the sport, but for me it's just loud enough to add a bit of sound without pissing everyone off at 5am,