In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Red Rally 2

Red Rally 2 build

Well, I got side tracked last night and ordered a Caddy engine cover. Of course I had to order the studs and Chevy emblem to go with it... then the red and clear to paint it... I ordered a black Rally decal and because I am old school, a black 325 CU decal as well. It should be a fun little project.

• Like 2

the engine cover is going to look great!

i've been considering getting one for my truck... but my truck is black (so what colour to paint the cover?) and lifted so you can't really see the engine that well anyways

Paint (red and clear) and matt black 325 cu decals came in today.

I can see your point on black on black. My only thought would be black with another color graphics. Maybe charcoal as an offset? Might not be much bang for the buck though.

16 hours ago, bc-chris said:

the engine cover is going to look great!

i've been considering getting one for my truck... but my truck is black (so what colour to paint the cover?) and lifted so you can't really see the engine that well anyways

need photo's when you do it ??

• Like 1

No new parts delivered yet. I am finding myself researching and building a parts list for future upgrades.

The latest is dual batteries... my H3 had them and I had to build and design the set up in the spot intended for just one. When I popped the hood on my Rally, I spotted the extra tray in there. Wow, all that room. So off I go studying up on how to add it. Even went as far as to get ready to start ordering parts... then I stopped... what am I doing? The H3 had a winch, inverter, etc... hence the “need” for another battery. Keep in mind that in the 10 years I had it in there, not once did I have to use it. Ok, I still made the dual battery parts list, but for someday... Been looking at tunes as well... I think I may have Silverado upgrade disease...

Dawned on me today that I did not share my first and most used upgrade.. not easy to see in pictures, but two small bubble mirrors. One on each side facing the ground. I think they were $2 apiece, but they protect my expense 22 inch rims from the curbs.

EC2_ABF70-996_A-4_CC3-9_DEC-_BC382_C1_DF

• Like 1

All the supplies are in, but no parts. I ordered them from GMpartsdirect on the 11th and no order status to date. I might have been better off on eBay...  Here is what I was thinking for the drivers side of the cover:

B3_FE5126-_AA82-4_DBE-_B83_D-4_F21570_E4

or I could go this route if there was enough room:

802_F911_F-_D580-4586-9681-_D1_FC3_BF1_A

I was thinking of the other 325 cu decal on the short side, but that may be too much.

I also replaced the dealer decal with my own. I’ve been into retro M16 clones for years. 

A2167_B82-_BE4_C-497_D-8_C47-_DD342_EA06

Parts came today! I already removed the Caddy emblem and removed the adhesive. It is stuck on there well, but the trick is to insert a punch in the hole on the back side of the emblem to assert upwards pressure while you pry gently around the out side edges.

C05_EEFD9-_F494-4073-9_A18-_BFE05_B9_B14

C852_D9_DC-7939-4183-8300-20139_EF68_C3_

• Like 1

Did you have to sand down the cover? I was thinking about painting mine white but i dont feellike sanding it down

I was really surprised at how rough a texture the Caddy silver was. I lightly sanded it, then primed with adhesive promoter, then primed and wet sanded. Then base coat red, wet sanded, clear, wet sanded, the clear. The wet sands were not crazy, heavy sanding. Just cutting the surface for the next coat. Spent a little more time on the flat surfaces since I intended to add the decals.

3 minutes ago, Red Rally 2 said:

I was really surprised at how rough a texture the Caddy silver was. I lightly sanded it, then primed with adhesive promoter, then primed and wet sanded. Then base coat red, wet sanded, clear, wet sanded, the clear. The wet sands were not crazy, heavy sanding. Just cutting the surface for the next coat. Spent a little more time on the flat surfaces since I intended to add the decals.

Got it. I think im going to paint mine

Finally got around to clay baring the hood today. I did a good detailed washing of the truck, then used the clay. I had never done clay before and I can’t believe how much dirt came out of the paint. The hood was very course when you wiped it down and would “catch the rag. Now it is smooth as glass.

WOW!!!!!

the engine cover looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

very well done!