TPMS on current gen compatible with my 2008?

I'm looking to replace the wheels on my  2008 silverado as they are showing their age. I'm able to get my hands on some takeoff wheels and tires from a 2018 silverado for a good price.

I understand that the way of re-learning the TPMS has changed for the newer models years from being able to go into the relearn mode and drain air from the tires to teach, to now needing a radio frequency emitter.

My question is, does anybody know if the newer TPMS are still compatible with the previous gen vehicles like mine?

I don’t believe they’re compatible. The Dorman brand sensors I had on my ‘08 wouldn’t work with my ‘16. They would learn fine with the learning tool but after a few days, the truck wouldn’t recognize the sensors and give random tire pressure warnings. Sometimes the warnings would go away for a couple days only to return. GM changed the sensors around 2012-2013 for whatever reason. I found new GM sensors on Amazon for about $20 each. 

12 hours ago, lims309a said:

I'm looking to replace the wheels on my  2008 silverado as they are showing their age. I'm able to get my hands on some takeoff wheels and tires from a 2018 silverado for a good price.

I understand that the way of re-learning the TPMS has changed for the newer models years from being able to go into the relearn mode and drain air from the tires to teach, to now needing a radio frequency emitter.

My question is, does anybody know if the newer TPMS are still compatible with the previous gen vehicles like mine?

The relearn process is tied to the vehicle and not the sensors.  I put sensors from a 2016 on my truck with no problems.  Do you have part numbers from the new sensors?  We've been compiling a list of known part numbers that work on GMT900s.  The other method with the RFE was introduced in 2011.  It works in conjunction with the Tech2 on our older years.