Changed my transfer case fluid at 3k, surprised at the amount of gunk! [PIC]

I changed my front differential and transfer case fluid the other day and I was surprised at how many shavings that were in there.  I did it at 3K in order to put my favorite fluids in there.  I used Liqui Moly Full Synthetic 75W-90 in the front and Top Tec 1800 (Dexron-VI equivalent) in the transfer case.  Most people wouldn't really be doing this as early as I am, but I was bored and my buddy had the differential in his Silvy with 15k on it lock up because the factory didn't fill it enough!  So anyway, to my surprise, there were quite a few filings on there, much more than I would expect with a truck with 3k on it.  Nothing big on there (no chunks), but the magnet was definitely full on the transfer case.  The front differential (which doesn't get exercised much) had little on it.  I'll be doing the rear differential when the extra fluid shows up since I underestimated!

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also did this because I bought it new and wanted to get any break-in shavings and manufacturing oils out of there.

IMG_20180711_201555631.jpg

IMG_20180711_201606208.jpg

Edited by Dr Awesome
  • Like 3

Interesting.  I changed my engine oil at 1700 miles, so get your intent.

I’m not gonna do this at home.  How much would I expect to pay the dealer to do this?  Front and rear?   Better option?

I was quoted by the dealer and it was too much, I think it was around $300 to get the front/rear diff and transfer case done.  The process is very easy, just a drain plug and a fill plug, fill it until it dribbles (well, stops dribbling I guess).  I think the rear says a few millimeters (3 to 19mm if I remember right) below the fill plug, so I'll just fill it until it dribbles out and siphon out a little bit more.

The amount of shaving seems to be a bit excessive, but not particularly alarming for a new part. If you cut open your engine oil filter, it would be loaded with metal as well. As long as the metal shavings taper off with time, you are OK. If the shavings increase, you may have a problem. When you fill the diff, make sure you fill it up, wait 10 minutes, and check the level on it again. People often fill it up and then quickly plug the hole without letting the fluid settle. The cold fluid takes a while to flow, and can give a false full reading. 

Edited by starman8tdc
  • Like 1

True that, I let them sit and dribble while I went in and took a break just to make sure.  I will probably do it again at about 10k and make sure nothing is getting worse.  I don't put many miles on so that could take me almost a year, though!

If I ever decided to throw the greenbacks to buy a brand new rig, I would probably change ALL of the fluids every 3,000 miles. I would have quick drain / quick fill adapters on everything. I have never been able to justify the depreciation of buying new. Anyway, keep on top of the fluid levels and keep that magnet clean, and you should be good to go for a long time. 

What upgrades were you thinking of? 

Edited by starman8tdc

This was my first brand new vehicle!  I've been in the "nearly new" arena for a few years, just took the leap.  I definitely do oil early (3k for the first 2 free oil changes, then 5k after), but diffs and transfer case will be on the 10-20k interval I think.  I bought it new so I could have assurance that all the right maintenance was done and know how it was driven so I know it will last!  I am planning to drive this one into the ground, got the 10 year warranty for some extra assurance, though, so at least that long.

That said, I did get the Airaid intake tube and dry filter for it, and I've done some cosmetic items, but no tuning or anything until the warranty is up.  I am considering  some helper bags with a 2" drop in the rear and a catch can to keep the carbon buildup at bay, but I need to talk to the dealer to discuss the probability of a warranty issue.  I'm thinking just the catch can until I get something I haul consistently like a boat or larger trailer.  The mod bug is itching me bad, though, I just can't leave things alone!

I'm surprised at the amount of stuff on that plug, especially with only 3,000 miles on it. Seems like a lot. I wonder with it being so new that perhaps those shavings would break down in time, and appear much less dramatic at a later mileage? 

I did the front, rear and T case on our 2016 Burb at 5k and did a transmission fluid exchange at 10k.  Just something I like to do and to get anything out that might be floating around from break-in. 

That isn't to bad on the mag plug.

18 hours ago, Dr Awesome said:

This was my first brand new vehicle!  I've been in the "nearly new" arena for a few years, just took the leap.

Right on man, enjoy your new rig. If you service it properly, it should last you a very long time. Especially if you keep all the fluids at the proper level and change them regularly. 

Looks normal to me.  That's what mine looked like at 42k when I did mine.  IIRC it takes 2qts +/- of Dex 6 ATF.  Change it when it's warm and make sure you're on level ground for the fill up.   Now you can see why I run a magnetic drain plug in everything I own from the coffee pot to the engine and axles.  #Goldplug.