Front end popping

I've searched every relevant thread I could find and I'm still not having any luck. 

I've got bilstein 5100 set at top setting, and probably 10k miles in I'm getting a faint popping noise. Had the shop look over everything in the suspension and everything is tight.

Symptoms are faint popping when steering wheel is turned or when weight shifts the truck side to side. Happens when stationary or at slow speeds. Sounds like it's coming from the center of the engine compartment, but I am well aware that sounds can be misleading as to origins. Doesn't happen every time. 

Any other ideas? Sway bar? Steering components? I found some reports of people with a loose skid plate? 

Just looking for ideas of what to check. 

Thanks in advance

I just posted in the Bilstein shock thread, but I had 5100 leveling shocks installed today.  The truck was perfect before.  Immediately after the install, I noticed the steering was tighter than it was before and there is a faint popping when I turn the wheel left and right at low speeds.  I can't hear it outside the truck when I roll the windows down, but I hear it inside the cab.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the new angles on the steering column, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm going to follow this thread as well to see what others might come up with.

I experienced this same issue after installing a 2" leveling kit.  Ultimately the dealer diagnosed it as a steering gear malfunction and it was replaced under warranty. 

6 hours ago, SoCa2ID said:

I experienced this same issue after installing a 2" leveling kit.  Ultimately the dealer diagnosed it as a steering gear malfunction and it was replaced under warranty. 

Which warranty was it replaced under powertrain or bumper to bumper?    I’m still under my power train warranty but not my bumper to bumper warranty 

Yes I've read about the loose top nuts as well, but I still have the stock nuts on mine. There's no play in the top of the strut. Thanks for the suggestion, though! 

I'm still under bumper to bumper, but have a sinking feeling they won't even look at it because of the shocks. Hence, trying to identify the problem before bringing it in. 

#PIT5533B: Creak Click Pop Crack Type Noise From Front Suspension/Frame Area While Making Turns

Some owners may comment of a creak, click, pop, crack type noise from the front suspension or front frame area while making tight turns.  It may also be noted the noise can be felt in the foot well area. 

It has been found that this type of noise could be caused by either insufficient torque of the front suspension:

• Frame crossmember
  • Lower control arm bolts
  • Note: When completing the following corrections please document the before and after torque readings on the repair order.

Correction 1

To correct this concern loosen and then re-torque the four front frame crossmember bolts/nuts:

• First Pass: 70 Nm (52 lb ft)
  • Final Pass: 110 degrees
  • Correction 2

To correct this concern loosen and then re-torque the four front lower control arm mounting bolts/nuts:

Tighten 175 Nm (129 lb ft)

Important: If the front lower control arms nuts and washers are removed, be aware the washers are directional washers and MUST be installed in the same direction as they were removed.

• Perhaps this may help? 

Lol incidentally I'm in the dealership addressing this exact issue right, even provided them with the TSB#. Hope that was the culprit and they're able to resolve it. I posted about this a while back so thanks again.

3 hours ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Which warranty was it replaced under powertrain or bumper to bumper?    I’m still under my power train warranty but not my bumper to bumper warranty 

it was replaced under bumper to bumper. I don't think they'd cover it under powertrain.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:54 PM, MBSierra17 said:

I've searched every relevant thread I could find and I'm still not having any luck. 

I've got bilstein 5100 set at top setting, and probably 10k miles in I'm getting a faint popping noise. Had the shop look over everything in the suspension and everything is tight.

Symptoms are faint popping when steering wheel is turned or when weight shifts the truck side to side. Happens when stationary or at slow speeds. Sounds like it's coming from the center of the engine compartment, but I am well aware that sounds can be misleading as to origins. Doesn't happen every time. 

Any other ideas? Sway bar? Steering components? I found some reports of people with a loose skid plate? 

Just looking for ideas of what to check. 

Thanks in advance

Hi, 

If you have torsion bars up front, then there is no need to read this post any further. 

If you have coil springs in the front: 

A customer came to me once with a nearly Brand New Nissan Sentra. They had a weird popping sound coming from the front end whenever you would make fairly sharp low speed turns. Les Schwab had diagnosed it as bad struts, and replaced them both from about $800. The exact same popping sound came back the next day. It took about 2 minutes to diagnose. The upper part of the coil spring was slipping against the upper spring seat. As the wheel and strut turned, it would put rotational forces into the spring, and the top of the spring would go "pop" "pop" "pop" as it jumped to the next position rather than smoothly slipping against the seat. Then when you turned back the other direction, it would do the same thing. 

There are a few simple options available to fix this problem. 

•     Spray the upper spring seat with a little WD40 so that it will slip smoothly and eliminate the noise. 
  •     Apply glue or sealant to the top of the coil spring to prevent it from slipping against the seat. 

Les Schwab charged these people $800 to not fix the problem. I charged them $0.00 to diagnose and fix the problem. 

If you have springs up front, hopefully that will solve the problem. If you have torsion bars up front, and you are still reading this, sorry to waste your time. 

Either way, good luck on your repairs. 

torsions_vs_coilovers.png

14 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

Hi, 

If you have torsion bars up front, then there is no need to read this post any further. 

If you have coil springs in the front: 

A customer came to me once with a nearly Brand New Nissan Sentra. They had a weird popping sound coming from the front end whenever you would make fairly sharp low speed turns. Les Schwab had diagnosed it as bad struts, and replaced them both from about $800. The exact same popping sound came back the next day. It took about 2 minutes to diagnose. The upper part of the coil spring was slipping against the upper spring seat. As the wheel and strut turned, it would put rotational forces into the spring, and the top of the spring would go "pop" "pop" "pop" as it jumped to the next position rather than smoothly slipping against the seat. Then when you turned back the other direction, it would do the same thing. 

There are a few simple options available to fix this problem. 

•     Spray the upper spring seat with a little WD40 so that it will slip smoothly and eliminate the noise. 
  •     Apply glue or sealant to the top of the coil spring to prevent it from slipping against the seat. 

Les Schwab charged these people $800 to not fix the problem. I charged them $0.00 to diagnose and fix the problem. 

If you have springs up front, hopefully that will solve the problem. If you have torsion bars up front, and you are still reading this, sorry to waste your time. 

Either way, good luck on your repairs. 

torsions_vs_coilovers.png

Why would the strut be rotating?  Especially on our trucks?  It’s fixed at the bottom with 2 bolts to a control arm that also doesn’t rotate...

Actually starman8tdc the more I think about this, I think you're onto something.  I was playing around with the steering while parked and turning the wheel back and forth.  The clicking popping got progressively worse the more I did it.  Then when I went to drive straight forward, there was a single pop and a "release" feeling sort of like if you're driving with the parking brake on and then release the brake.  I feel like the steering system would not cause a feeling like this.  My thoughts are, based on what you pointed out:

1) The springs are under preload with the 5100's which changes their compression and decompression forces

2) as you turn the wheel, the truck weight shifts from side to side which compress the springs slightly and springs can rotate when they compress

3) the popping/clicking feeling is based on what you describe...the springs aren't rotating smoothly

4) The "release" feeling I felt when driving forward maybe was the coil assembly settling back into place or "primary position" we'll call it.

Assuming the above is true, this would explain why this symptom only occurs at very slow driving speeds and sharper turns...there's more body weight shift.  I feel like if it was the steering system, you would feel it under all conditions and circumstances.

Thoughts?

I don't see how the strut can turn if it is installed properly. It does make sense that possibly it may not be torqued down enough on the shock shaft and the clicking could be coming from excess play on the shaft or hat, or either the threads on the same shaft. If the coil spring turns with the wheels you have serious problems.

Sent via Morse code