Factory Navigation Route Options

So I have a 2018 Silverado with Navigation. I haven't really used th system much since getting the truck in February. However, last weekend we went away with the trailer. I should have been smart enough to double check the route with my Google maps but I didn't. The system only provided one route so I figured I was good to go....needless to say, the system got my jammed up on narrow, winding mountain back roads with a trailer and I was not a happy camper...no pun intended. On the way home, I decided to go by Google maps, and surprisingly Google maps kept me on a major interstate for most of the drive. I realize this was a rookie towing mistake that I did here, but once I got home I did a little more digging. I punched in an address that I know how to get to well, and I noticed that once again the navigation system took me off the highway on to local roads...changing the route setting in navigation to "short" or "ecofriendly" from the factory "fast" setting seemed to do the same thing. Is there something that I am missing here? Is there a way to set or view alternate routes. I guess in the end I could just use android auto for my navigation, but the fact is a $40,000 truck should have a navigation system that functions as good as a $100 standalone unit or my wife's $28k Hyundai. I am an automotive technician and have been in a lot of cars and working for used dealers I have drove a lot of cars and tested the nav system. I have never seen a system that did not allow you to view alternate routes so I am hoping you guys can fill me in and it isn't just poorly programmed in the way it is now. Please let me know! Greatly appreciated. 

Androind auto! Google maps updates weekly, can be used offline, and shows you the differences in travel time as you pass diff possible routes! Plus you can just say "ok Google" and you can tell your phone what to do through your truck! I receive and send texts from multiple texting apps at the same time through my truck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

Androind auto! Google maps updates weekly, can be used offline, and shows you the differences in travel time as you pass diff possible routes! Plus you can just say "ok Google" and you can tell your phone what to do through your truck! I receive and send texts from multiple texting apps at the same time through my truck.

How can you use it offline? I thought it required a data connection. Im not a tech guy so I'm sure there is a lot I dont know. I just think for the cost of the truck the nav system should give you a couple alternative route options. Is there really no way to get that?

• Like 2

How can you use it offline? I thought it required a data connection. Im not a tech guy so I'm sure there is a lot I dont know. I just think for the cost of the truck the nav system should give you a couple alternative route options. Is there really no way to get that?
You download the map areas you will be driving in before leaving WiFi. I did it with my tablet because my 2015 Silverado didn't have the same interface we have now. My tablet had the bigger screen compared to my phone, but didn't have a data connection. So I would hotspot from my phone if I needed more maps. You pretty much know where you will be driving tho, so it's not usually an issue.

• Like 2

I have all of socal saved to my phone. Tap (offline maps) in Google maps options. Socal is only like 500mb

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, m3n00b said:

I have all of socal saved to my phone. Tap (offline maps) in Google maps options. Socal is only like 500mb

Ok so you can save the maps and I guess cell phones have a gps built into them now? Wow I thought it always went off a data connection to locate you. The more you know. Still, I wish this damn system would work...paid the extra $ to get one with built in nav like an idiot.

• Like 2

Ok so you can save the maps and I guess cell phones have a gps built into them now? Wow I thought it always went off a data connection to locate you. The more you know. Still, I wish this damn system would work...paid the extra $ to get one with built in nav like an idiot.

I bought a $60k truck with a bunk nav system too. Luckily I love everything else about it. Android auto more than makes up for it.

Just curious... does it ALWAYS route you around interstates and highways? If so, there’s a setting in there that controls your preferred roads. I don’t have the navigation option, so I can’t tell you exactly where. But, it’s there. I’d make sure that stuff is setup correctly.

Not that android auto or CarPlay aren’t great... but if for some reason you needed this Navi, it’d be nice if it’s working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, m3n00b said:

I bought a $60k truck with a bunk nav system too. Luckily I love everything else about it. Android auto more than makes up for it.

Yeah, I played with the system a little more today while waiting for my wife in the store and I can not see any way to make the factory nav work better...I guess in a pinch if you're really lost it will get you out, but still. I did play around with the android auto today. Interesting concept and I see that it does seem to work pretty well, still, it just pisses me off that they can't program a GPS system to give you alternate routes from the factory. It seriously blows my mind, not trying to beat a dead horse here but come on, I have never seen a factory nav system designed so poorly. 

On my 2018 with nav, there is a setting under "Route Preferences" called "Use Highways - on/off". If yours is set to "on" and it doesn't route you on highways, I'd check with the dealer if there are software updates available, or if they can reflash yours. 

20180715_145521.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ftwhite said:

On my 2018 with nav, there is a setting under "Route Preferences" called "Use Highways - on/off". If yours is set to "on" and it doesn't route you on highways, I'd check with the dealer if there are software updates available, or if they can reflash yours. 

20180715_145521.jpg

3 hours ago, Tahoe02 said:

Googles shows that routing preferences is in your owners manual. You may want to take a look.

Yeah...I have been all through that menu and changed settings and looked at the routing options and it still does similar goofy things. For whatever reason it seems like the GPS thinks other routes are faster. It does it for several different destinations that I know how to get too well. It doesn't always do what it did to me last weekend with the trailer, but it sometimes takes you off a main highway to 2 lane state roads or something like that, that for whatever reason the system thinks is a faster route. So I take it you haven't had any similar experiences to this? 

One other thing I will note is my system has one other menu in settings titled "waypoint/route editing" but this menu is grayed out and it wont let me select it. Are others the same way? That sounds like what I am looking for...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

It only takes me off main highways when there is less traffic on a longer route. This was a feature that was part of the SiriusXM trial subscription. Saved me from getting in a huge holiday traffic jam on Interstate 5 in Washington, by routing me last minute on a ~10 mile detour. Cool enough, that I didn't renew the music part of XM, but paid for another year of traffic and weather. 

I use Waze on my cell phone too for the other features it has, and while they sometime disagree on route, they are more often in agreement. 

Not sure why yours is having issues. Maybe bad map database info for your area?