Factory Navigation Route Options

One other thing I will note is my system has one other menu in settings titled "waypoint/route editing" but this menu is grayed out and it wont let me select it. Are others the same way? That sounds like what I am looking for...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I would guess that option is only available when there is a route active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google Maps and Android Auto are worlds ahead of anything the OEM Nav have to offer. I have the Nav on my 16 Sierra and I still use my phone with Google maps and AA. It is smarter, more accurate and more up to date than the OEM Nav system will ever be. Plus GM charges $150 just for the updated Nav disc and they are still years behind when they are released.

As said you can either download the map for offline use, it stays active on your device for 30 days. Also if you set the route up in your phone, the phone actually downloads the route so that even if you leave cellular or wifi coverage the Nav thru the phones Google maps will work just fine.

• Like 1

I have a 15 with OnStar nav,which I don't pay for. The other day I pushed my phone button on rearview mirror and it had stored some old routes I had from when I had OnStar. I pushed them and it still downloaded the direction to my truck. It had my home address also. It will also update them if I leave the planed route. There is one I can touch that reads virtual adviser. Does anyone know how that works? Or is that something you have to pay for?

Hey guys thanks for the input on the whole thing. I thought back to when I first got the truck and I remembered that I did use the nav system for a few relatively local destinations and it works pretty good. I tried out the android auto, and while I still would rather use the built in system than hooking up my phone, it does work pretty well. I guess in the future for longer trips or whenever I plan to hook up the trailer I will rely on android auto. The built in nav does seem to work fine for local destinations so for a quick trip I will continue to use it. I like to blame the nav system, but really hooking up a trailer and heading to an unknown destination without doing any research was really a rookie move on my part anyway and I shouldn't point the blame on a navigation system. That's like trailer/hauling 101 to know your direction, cleareance, etc etc. Thank you all for the help though and allowing me to realize the usefullness of android auto. 

I have it too but I don't have a way to view Siriusxm weather anywhere on my 17 LTZ :( just traffic icon shows up.

It only takes me off main highways when there is less traffic on a longer route. This was a feature that was part of the SiriusXM trial subscription. Saved me from getting in a huge holiday traffic jam on Interstate 5 in Washington, by routing me last minute on a ~10 mile detour. Cool enough, that I didn't renew the music part of XM, but paid for another year of traffic and weather. 
I use Waze on my cell phone too for the other features it has, and while they sometime disagree on route, they are more often in agreement. 
Not sure why yours is having issues. Maybe bad map database info for your area? 

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

I used to travel about 25K miles per year for work, and am a very firm believer in Google Maps.  I purchased a 2016 2500HD over the RAM 2500 due to it having Android Auto, so when it was time to get away from the diesel (no longer tow large loads), having AA was a must.  

As others have attested, the factory Nav is crap compared to Google Maps.  Besides the other things mentioned, it is constantly checking the route, to make sure it's still the fastest.  If an accident occurs an hour away on your route, and it's going to cause a 15 minute delay, you're alerted.  Once it's found a faster route, it will offer it up.  You can accept or decline it.  Or, if you prefer back roads, even if longer, it will allow you to choose those as well.  

Also, with AA, as mentioned, you can speak your destination into the truck to set it, and besides just answering texts, you can also respond to Facebook Messenger messages through talking.  

I have saved countless hours and hours along I-26 and I-95 in SC (2 lanes, traffic is horrible, and there is always some sort of major backup) due to Google Maps finding a faster route.  I use it for any trip that's longer than 15 minutes, just in case of the possible accident, and won't travel without it.  

If you don't want the turn by turn directions interrupting your music constantly, you can click on the speaker on the screen and have it muted for normal navigation, but still receive traffic alerts.  There's a reason that Google maps is so highly rated.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know this is a rather old thread but I’d like to circle back to find out if anyone knows more about the eco-friendly routing option. I see in the owners manual that you can specify two parameters, Roof load and Trailer. For either parameter you can select none (default), small, medium or large. Once you select eco-friendly as your routing preference it should take those parameters into consideration when determining to appropriate route. Unfortunately I don’t see any other information explaining what exactly small, medium or large represents. We recently bought a fifth wheel and I specified Large for both parameters and we’ll do some side-by-side comparisons using the GM system and either Google or Waze. Unfortunately this is simply testing on the fly so I’m hoping somebody has some additional information as to what ranges these parameters cover

On 7/15/2018 at 3:02 PM, ftwhite said:

On my 2018 with nav, there is a setting under "Route Preferences" called "Use Highways - on/off". If yours is set to "on" and it doesn't route you on highways, I'd check with the dealer if there are software updates available, or if they can reflash yours. 

20180715_145521.jpg

I just got an email from GM THAT NEW UPDATED MAPS are available for $100!   Ummm,  a  72k 2018 Denali and they want me to pay for an update!   Wtf!  

• Like 1

I just got an email from GM THAT NEW UPDATED MAPS are available for $100!   Ummm,  a  72k 2018 Denali and they want me to pay for an update!   Wtf!  
This is pretty standard practice.

1 hour ago, m3n00b said:
On 10/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, rft said:

This is pretty standard practice.

Yup.  I was one click away with it in shopping cart when I decided to do some research.   Turned out google maps are way better from reviews I’ve read.   I may at some point update it but not until I actually need to.