Want to go E85 on my 16 Sierra CC 4x4 6.2L

These trucks have the capacity to adjust to the fuel being used. I used E-85 locally and mid grade on trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called a Valero in Conroe, asked what the octane was on the E85, lady said 85. Is that true?

I called a Valero in Conroe, asked what the octane was on the E85, lady said 85. Is that true?

105, it can very a bit.

5 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

lol pretty sure that is false, E85 is over 100 octane I believe.

One of the issues you gotta watch out for (if you are looking to get the most ethanol %) is the actual ethanol content - it varies station to station I guess.  You can buy test kits so you can see how much ethanol is actually in the E85.

Edited by SkiDooNick700
  • Like 1

105, it can very a bit.

Yes, i did hear that it can vary ok but it only safe to use in flex fuel motors. Wish I could use it on my new 6.2 ha

105, it can very a bit.

Yes, i did hear that it can vary ok but it only safe to use in flex fuel motors. Wish I could use it on my new 6.2 ha

You don’t need it.

Why does he not need it, I have a 6.2. The extra 30hp is a nice change. 

E85 is 105 octane, the 85 part is that it is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Winter blend affects E85 as well, I have seen it go down to E60 during the winter months. The testing kits are ok, but they are not accurate at all. I get my data from the flex fuel sensor itself. We have a local gas station that carries the higher grade fuels and they make sure to carry full E85 year round at the same price the other places are charging.

E85 is 105 octane, the 85 part is that it is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Winter blend affects E85 as well, I have seen it go down to E60 during the winter months. The testing kits are ok, but they are not accurate at all. I get my data from the flex fuel sensor itself. We have a local gas station that carries the higher grade fuels and they make sure to carry full E85 year round at the same price the other places are charging.

Oh NO NO NO! 6.2’s are NOT Flex Fuel compatible

I’ve always had a tune, caned tune. The 5.3 with the yellow cap every thing to use it is already in place to take advantage of E85. I just used the tune for the transmission, top speed and cylinder deactivation. On the 6.2 you’re already running a little advanced on the timing requiring high octane fuel. Add to that E85 is not always 105 octane, so the gains of going through the effort is suspect. If I’m going to risk my warranty for power I’m going with a blower.

Here comes that e85 debate that happens every time someone mentions running e85.... :lurk:  There are thousands of NA 6.2 Camaros, Corvettes and Trucks running e85 with shown gains. As long as you have a good e85 tune and a sensor so the pcm can adjust the fueling for the different blends you are just fine running e85 in the 4.3, 5.3, and 6.2

Miata 6.2 swap NA running e85 and showing dyno results when running e85.

Edited by Gorske

Here comes that e85 debate that happens every time someone mentions running e85.... :lurk:  There are thousands of NA 6.2 Camaros, Corvettes and Trucks running e85 with shown gains. As long as you have a good e85 tune and a sensor so the pcm can adjust the fueling for the different blends you are just fine running e85 in the 4.3, 5.3, and 6.2

Miata 6.2 swap NA running e85 and showing dyno results when running e85.

I think you miss understood. I saw gains with my 5.3 with E85. My truck was E-85 compatible stock. The 5.3 is tuned to run on reg gas so putting E-85 allows more increase timing and a real seat of the pants feel. The 6.2 is tuned to run on premium fuel. So there wouldn’t be room in the timing tables for a real noticeable feel. E-85 is like buying a boxed of chocolates, you really don’t know what you’re going to get. You can tune the 6.2 to get gains on premium fuel too. My point was you’ll feel it more with the 5.3 starting at the reg fuel timing verses the E-85 timing. Got it?

28 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I think you miss understood. I saw gains with my 5.3 with E85. My truck was E-85 compatible stock. The 5.3 is tuned to run on reg gas so putting E-85 allows more increase timing and a real seat of the pants feel. The 6.2 is tuned to run on premium fuel. So there wouldn’t be room in the timing tables for a real noticeable feel. E-85 is like buying a boxed of chocolates, you really don’t know what you’re going to get. You can tune the 6.2 to get gains on premium fuel too. My point was you’ll feel it more with the 5.3 starting at the reg fuel timing verses the E-85 timing. Got it?

Sorry was not aimed towards your post. More of a in general to past threads about e85 on NA vehicles. Also just a nice video to show what kind of gains you can see on e85 when properly tuned with a sensor. Plus I think it's a pretty sweet build :)

Edited by Gorske
  • Like 1

During normal fueling, it can take 3 or 4 tanks of fuel to get the full alcohol content of ethanol after switching off of gasoline.  My local Sunoco is carrying an unknown brand E85 and it has an 80% alcohol content.  Last 3 tanks were 80%, first 4 varied and kept increasing until the gasoline was all gone.  

Hopefully I will be able to put an E85 kit on my 2019 when I get it.  That is if it will be able to be tuned at all and GM doesn't lock the ECM down.  Then it will be a matter of time before someone cracks it.