Steering rack warranty denied beacuse of level on 2017 Z71

I installed a 2 inch zone level kit on my 2017 Z71 with 285/65/18 BFG all terrain ko2’s back in November. A few months ago I developed a slight popping noise in my steering. When the truck was off I could hear it coming from the steering shaft in the firewall. Took it to the dealer and they replaced some parts in the steering shaft. That took care of it mostly but the noise was slightly there sometimes so I took it back since I have about 6k miles left on my warranty. Now the dealer is telling me the steering rack needs to be replaced but GM won’t cover it because of my leveling kit and bigger tires. I called GM to complain and even other dealers to see what my options were but there is nothing they will do for me.  I know everyone says “but magnuson moss!!!...” and they have to prove it. Well their proof is the level kit and heavier tires causes more stress that puts the steering rack in a bind. It is rumored on the internet that 2 inches of level is within a safe range and people have been doing it for years but I can’t prove that on my end as a fact. I should have just left it alone until the warranty was out. I wanted to share my experience because others ask all the time about warranty issues from leveling kits.

My steering feels fine and the noise is intermittent so I’m not going to replace the rack unless it becomes more of a problem. Does anyone else have this popping with a level kit? I’m thinking about doing the Bilstein 6112 struts at the top #4 1.85 inch setting or #3 1.23 inches. That would relieve some stress that my 2 inch level is supposedly causing. I could also go with a 285/70/17  C load range wheel and tire combo after these tires wear out to save a little rotational weight. The CST 4.5 lift would give me flat stock angles but I think my tire size would look a little funny. I have done a lift with 35’s and gears on my last truck but I’m not really into that anymore. Just trying to have some more ground clearance when I go out in the woods.  

47 minutes ago, chris15706 said:

I installed a 2 inch zone level kit. Now the dealer is telling me GM won’t cover it because of my leveling kit and bigger tires.

Anyone considering mods to their wheels and suspension should know this. And not be surprised when it happens to them as well. The warranty is only good on the stock truck. Once you change anything, they are looking for a way to deny coverage.

This is coming from someone who put Timbrens on the front axle to support a snow plow. I know when my front end components wear out I'm paying full price for replacements.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chris15706 said:

Does anyone else have this popping with a level kit? 

Anyone else?  Yeah ME!  60,000 trouble free miles.  Friday I get bilstein 5100 leveling shocks installed and immediately the steering wheel is popping/clicking as you describe.  I don't even have the shocks on the highest setting, I'm on the 2nd highest which is 1.23" of level.  I'm going to get an alignment done to see if that helps.  Otherwise I may be returning to stock.  Out of pocket, the steering system is $1,500 just for the parts.

Just now, diyer2 said:

Sorry,

but I don't blame the manufacturer for denying any repairs if a truck/car is altered from stock.

:)

I DO blame them for putting in a POS electric power steering system that can't handle what 30+ years of previous model trucks could handle.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

I DO blame them for putting in a POS electric power steering system that can't handle what 30+ years of previous model trucks could handle.

Agree

:)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

I know the power steering technology changed from hydraulic to electric with this generation of trucks but how does this impact the potential for problems like the op is experiencing?  The GVWR of these trucks and wheel sizes have steadily increased and I'd think components such as steering would be better than 30 years ago.'

16 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I know the power steering technology changed from hydraulic to electric with this generation of trucks but how does this impact the potential for problems like the op is experiencing?  The GVWR of these trucks and wheel sizes have steadily increased and I'd think components such as steering would be better than 30 years ago.'

I'm not 100% sure.  In reading all the info on this forum about it, some seem to think the popping problem is related to the levels/lifts.  Some think it's an inherent design flaw with the steering system seperate from the lifts/levels.  I just know it wasn't an issue with the old hydraulic systems and so I'm venting because I'm having problems with my truck now....

Spoke with a buddy of mine.  His truck made this popping noise BEFORE he installed a level kit.  He's been driving around 60,000 miles with the noise and no issues.  About 30,000 of those 60k were with the level kit installed.  Take that for what it's worth.

My dealer said that if i have any issues that my extended warranty won’t cover, they will. This is because they sold me the extended warranty with the level lift, wheels and tires already installed. Hopefully I don’t have to take them up on it, but it’s kind of a piece of mind for me.

OP, I’d put truck back to stock and take it to another dealer you haven’t talked to. Get it replaced under warranty and then put lift back on and go to dealer and buy an extended warranty. But make sure they will cover the truck as is.

Just my suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, catpartsman said:

My dealer said that if i have any issues that my extended warranty won’t cover, they will. This is because they sold me the extended warranty with the level lift, wheels and tires already installed. Hopefully I don’t have to take them up on it, but it’s kind of a piece of mind for me.

OP, I’d put truck back to stock and take it to another dealer you haven’t talked to. Get it replaced under warranty and then put lift back on and go to dealer and buy an extended warranty. But make sure they will cover the truck as is.

Just my suggestions.

My dealer also sells the trucks leveled and lifted but they told me the customers sign a waiver. I think its BS but that's what they said. Their policies might have changed too because they were acquired by a larger dealer across the freeway since I bought my truck. 

I thought about removing the level and getting a second opinion but I bet they will then point at the larger tires as the culprit. Because my tires are waaaayy bigger than stock ;). 

Seems the electric system isn’t as robust as the old hydraulic was. There must be some specification the electric motors were designed to handle, and lifts and heavy tires surpass that. Hydraulic might have had a higher tolerance of increased load.