Steering rack warranty denied beacuse of level on 2017 Z71

I see this as you just got crappy piece of equipment installed and they have way out.

I installed level kit immediately after I bought my truck and through on 275/70R18 load E tires. I then installed Fox coilovers and removed level block at around 20k miles. I then installed a 6” lift and 35x12.50x18 load range E at 45k miles.

I do not get that noise.

It sucks but good luck. I don’t think this is out range issue otherwise all of us with level and lifts would have problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone bought one of the Rocky Ridge trucks off a dealer lot?  That's a 6" lift with 35's.  What's the scoop on the warranty and issues with them as a result of the lift and big tires?  Is it only covered because it was bought that way from the dealer?  I'd think if the Rocky Ridge lift and big tires were causing an undue amount of warranty work, dealers and GM would discontinue that practice in a heart beat.

I have never lifted a truck with electric steering, so i don't know how robust that system is.  Based on things I've worked with and played around with in terms of electric vs hydraulic, I can't see where an electric system would be nearly as robust as hydraulic, certainly not in the long term under higher than stock loads anyway.   

1 hour ago, catpartsman said:

My dealer said that if i have any issues that my extended warranty won’t cover, they will. This is because they sold me the extended warranty with the level lift, wheels and tires already installed. Hopefully I don’t have to take them up on it, but it’s kind of a piece of mind for me.

I hope you got that in writing. The extended warranty is barely worth the paper its written on. This just sounds like a salespitch to get you to buy the extended warranty from them. I did it too and I've regretted it since the second day I had my truck. I wish I had my cash back and sitting in the bank.

I hope you got that in writing. The extended warranty is barely worth the paper its written on. This just sounds like a salespitch to get you to buy the extended warranty from them. I did it too and I've regretted it since the second day I had my truck. I wish I had my cash back and sitting in the bank.

I hear what your saying, but every extended warranty I’ve purchased for anything has come in handy. The service writer said my dealer has a special account for extended warranty work that isn’t covered by the actual warranty. They take pretty good care of me if I must say so. If they give me crap about something not being covered due to the lift or tires, they’ll be hearing about it from me and the one who told me that will be thrown under the bus and backed over several time.

Anyone bought one of the Rocky Ridge trucks off a dealer lot?  That's a 6" lift with 35's.  What's the scoop on the warranty and issues with them as a result of the lift and big tires?  Is it only covered because it was bought that way from the dealer?  I'd think if the Rocky Ridge lift and big tires were causing an undue amount of warranty work, dealers and GM would discontinue that practice in a heart beat.

I have never lifted a truck with electric steering, so i don't know how robust that system is.  Based on things I've worked with and played around with in terms of electric vs hydraulic, I can't see where an electric system would be nearly as robust as hydraulic, certainly not in the long term under higher than stock loads anyway.   

Covered by the dealer/rocky ridge. Why your paying 10k for some wheels and a spacer lift kit.

I’ve got the same kind of noise going on. You pay to play it doesn’t matter if “tons of people” run it without issue. You’d modified it and should understand that dealers can now reject you. Not to say every dealer will, but most will. Blame Chevy for the design but at the end of the day you bought it.

I hear what your saying, but every extended warranty I’ve purchased for anything has come in handy. The service writer said my dealer has a special account for extended warranty work that isn’t covered by the actual warranty. They take pretty good care of me if I must say so. If they give me crap about something not being covered due to the lift or tires, they’ll be hearing about it from me and the one who told me that will be thrown under the bus and backed over several time.

Seems more like a case of a valued customer and pleasing you over what may or may not be actually covered by that extended warranty. A Joe Schmo off the street might not be treated the same way as a loyal/frequent customer might be.

• Like 1

Seems more like a case of a valued customer and pleasing you over what may or may not be actually covered by that extended warranty. A Joe Schmo off the street might not be treated the same way as a loyal/frequent customer might be.

And you’re probably right. I’ve purchased 4 vehicles from this dealer, 3 of which were brand new. They have done 100% of the service on all 3 new vehicles since the day we purchased them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catpartsman said:

My dealer said that if i have any issues that my extended warranty won’t cover, they will. This is because they sold me the extended warranty with the level lift, wheels and tires already installed. Hopefully I don’t have to take them up on it, but it’s kind of a piece of mind for me.

OP, I’d put truck back to stock and take it to another dealer you haven’t talked to. Get it replaced under warranty and then put lift back on and go to dealer and buy an extended warranty. But make sure they will cover the truck as is.

Just my suggestions.

Not going to happen. Once you take your vehicle in for warranty work and its denied due to modifications the vehicle will be flag in the system,  so no matter where you take the vehicle any dealer nationwide will see it in the system that the vehicle was flagged for modifications even if returned back to stock. 

Edited by Silverado4x4

3 hours ago, catpartsman said:

OP, I’d put truck back to stock and take it to another dealer you haven’t talked to. Get it replaced under warranty and then put lift back on and go to dealer and buy an extended warranty. But make sure they will cover the truck as is.

Just my suggestions.

Did you get that in writing? My guess is that if you have to "take them up on it" you'll get a different story.

Edited by duquephart

5 hours ago, catpartsman said:

Just my suggestions.

Unless that statement is in the insurance policy they sold you, your dealer is playing you for a sucker. Dealers will tell you anything to sell the biggest profit maker they can add onto a sell. Oh wait, except for those magic waxes. They are more profitable than even extended warranty insurance policies.

9 hours ago, chris15706 said:

...the dealer is telling me the steering rack needs to be replaced but GM won’t cover it because of my leveling kit and bigger tires.

Did you take the service manager into the showroom and show him the altered trucks that they have for sale and are warranting?  The dealers 'round here sell lifted trucks with full warranty.

12 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Not going to happen. Once you take your vehicle in for warranty work and its denied due to modifications the vehicle will be flag in the system,  so no matter where you take the vehicle any dealer nationwide will see it in the system that the vehicle was flagged for modifications even if returned back to stock. 

That's kind of what I was thinking. I bet a quarter GM has taken note and will deny the claim if they see my VIN number again from another dealer for the same problem. At that point I guess it would be up to the dealer but I doubt they would want to pay for it. I wonder if GM started cracking down on the newer models because they know the new rack is shitty? Has anyone with a 2017 had this same problem fixed recently by the dealer even with a level or lift?