Steering rack warranty denied beacuse of level on 2017 Z71

I'm sure you guys have heard of Black Widow and other authorized lifted trucks that come with factory authorized warranty. Do you think there's a different steering system on those trucks? No most of them are regular LTs that go directly to SCA performance. 

I doubt your level caused it, but I'm no Engineer/Mechanic, just a regular guy who sold Chevy/Cadillac .

46 minutes ago, gtbigup01 said:

I'm sure you guys have heard of Black Widow and other authorized lifted trucks that come with factory authorized warranty. Do you think there's a different steering system on those trucks? No most of them are regular LTs that go directly to SCA performance. 

I doubt your level caused it, but I'm no Engineer/Mechanic, just a regular guy who sold Chevy/Cadillac .

Yeah I tend to agree after thinking about this some more and the logic behind the problem.

I've replaced a handful of steering racks for the popping noise. EVERY one of them had a level kit in it, every one was under warranty.  

I'm always curious about my lowered truck, but no noises yet.  (knock on wood)

• Like 1

I was planning throwing a set of bilsteins and set them on next to highest setting with some 275/65's AT tires.  Now I may just leave the level alone but go ahead with the slightly bigger tires.  Another reason I miss my 2002 silvy!

I installed a 2 inch zone level kit on my 2017 Z71 with 285/65/18 BFG all terrain ko2’s back in November. A few months ago I developed a slight popping noise in my steering. When the truck was off I could hear it coming from the steering shaft in the firewall. Took it to the dealer and they replaced some parts in the steering shaft. That took care of it mostly but the noise was slightly there sometimes so I took it back since I have about 6k miles left on my warranty. Now the dealer is telling me the steering rack needs to be replaced but GM won’t cover it because of my leveling kit and bigger tires. I called GM to complain and even other dealers to see what my options were but there is nothing they will do for me.  I know everyone says “but magnuson moss!!!...” and they have to prove it. Well their proof is the level kit and heavier tires causes more stress that puts the steering rack in a bind. It is rumored on the internet that 2 inches of level is within a safe range and people have been doing it for years but I can’t prove that on my end as a fact. I should have just left it alone until the warranty was out. I wanted to share my experience because others ask all the time about warranty issues from leveling kits.

My steering feels fine and the noise is intermittent so I’m not going to replace the rack unless it becomes more of a problem. Does anyone else have this popping with a level kit? I’m thinking about doing the Bilstein 6112 struts at the top #4 1.85 inch setting or #3 1.23 inches. That would relieve some stress that my 2 inch level is supposedly causing. I could also go with a 285/70/17  C load range wheel and tire combo after these tires wear out to save a little rotational weight. The CST 4.5 lift would give me flat stock angles but I think my tire size would look a little funny. I have done a lift with 35’s and gears on my last truck but I’m not really into that anymore. Just trying to have some more ground clearance when I go out in the woods.  

Listen up, take OFF your leveling kit, then run it to another dealership ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Listen up, take OFF your leveling kit, then run it to another dealership ASAP

I was going to do this at least to get a second opinion in case the first dealership didn't diagnose properly after seeing the level kit. 

I was going to do this at least to get a second opinion in case the first dealership didn't diagnose properly after seeing the level kit. 

Take it off ASAP and get to another dealership. If it still under warranty you can take it either to GMC or Chevy dealership

18 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Take it off ASAP and get to another dealership. If it still under warranty you can take it either to GMC or Chevy dealership

It's not as simple as removing it, there are witness marks all over many bolts like shown.  Any mechanic worth anything will see this in an instant and show his service manager.  If they see it, you're done.

The green quality control marks do not line up indicating this vehicle has been tampered
with.

Warranty_Silverado Suspension Mod 1116 (003).jpg

It's not as simple as removing it, there are witness marks all over many bolts like shown.  Any mechanic worth anything will see this in an instant and show his service manager.  If they see it, you're done.

The green quality control marks do not line up indicating this vehicle has been tampered
with.
5b50c49f7a149_Warranty_SilveradoSuspensionMod1116(003).jpg.c5e5a1b829affde0a71f127bc8798461.jpg

LMAO! I did it, three of my friends did it too. Go to a different dealership, there’s no reason to deny cause of markings. He can say it’s been serviced before and he doesn’t know anything about it.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:56 AM, chris15706 said:

I should have just left it alone until the warranty was out.

Exactly what I am waiting for.  I'm not giving them any excuses.

Exactly what I am waiting for.  I'm not giving them any excuses.

If you’re waiting till warranty goes out to do what you want you’ll still end up paying for whatever happens after the warranty is out. You’re better off driving what you want and how you want it to drive/look. Either way it’s out of your pocket.

• Like 1

From what my brother in law told me (he works at a dealership in the service department ) the level kits they are selling now are like my RC kit mounted on the lower strut. They are a “GM Part” when sold and installed by the dealership. These kits are warranted as long as they are a GM Part. 

I bought and installed my own leveling kit so I have no warranty, but had I done it through the dealership it would be warranted. 

Conditions resulting from intentional modification to a vehicle or vehicle components are not covered under the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. With proper documentation, a warranty block may be implemented, depending on the modifications to the vehicle. Bulletin #09-00-89-016 covers the policies and procedures to follow when modifications have been made to a vehicle’s electrical, chassis/body or propulsion system.

I believe GM is wrong to make their trucks so you can't add aftermarket parts to them without causing problems.  If I can add stuff to my truck and it still works, I will buy another one.  If not I am going to another manufacturer. 

Jim 2017 Silvey.