Steering rack warranty denied beacuse of level on 2017 Z71

I posted this in the Bilstein shocks thread, but after I got my tires installed last week, the popping noise and feeling in the steering system went away.  The steering also doesn't feel tight anymore and feels normal like it was before I leveled the truck.  The only possible explanation I can come up with is that the popping was maybe caused by the new angles of the tie-rods after the level and somehow the new bigger tires impacted the angles to where the problem was corrected.  I have no other possible explanation that makes sense.  Even this explanation doesn't make total sense because the bigger tires really shouldn't have affected the tie-rods but I'm at a loss of what else could've fixed it.  I'm curious to hear your thoughts, but overall I'm thrilled that the truck looks better now with the level and bigger tires and seems to be driving ok *knock on wood*

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

On 7/16/2018 at 9:37 PM, swathdiver said:

Did you take the service manager into the showroom and show him the altered trucks that they have for sale and are warranting?  The dealers 'round here sell lifted trucks with full warranty.

Those trucks go to SCA performance from the manufacturer for an authorized list of modification all of which are covered under the regular GM warranty. The stuff you and I modify isn't covered. It's a constant back and forth and seems like some people dont get it. You modify you assume liability, and yes the dealer has to make the connection between your modification and the issue. 

I don't get it either because they are paid for the warranty work the perform. Maybe it's at a much lower rate IDK LOL

It is a lower rate from what I've heard.  Something like 60% of the standard labor rate plus the cost of parts.  Dealers hate warranty work.

And they run the risk of an audit/chargeback if GM requests the part for inspection. But even at 60% it’s not exactly chump change if you take into account that their labor rate is much higher than an independent shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those trucks go to SCA performance from the manufacturer for an authorized list of modification all of which are covered under the regular GM warranty. The stuff you and I modify isn't covered. It's a constant back and forth and seems like some people dont get it. You modify you assume liability, and yes the dealer has to make the connection between your modification and the issue. 
I don't get it either because they are paid for the warranty work the perform. Maybe it's at a much lower rate IDK LOL

Actually, it’s the dealer that sends a truck out for mods and not from manufacturer. One of my sponsors owns a GMC dealership and informed me typically all dealers have mods warranted by XYZ shop but under contract that the mod shop does all warranty work. So it’s not up to the dealership to warranty a repair on their lifted truck it’s up to the mod shop to decide which I’ve seen repair cost thrown back at truck owner just for adding larger size tires onto truck. My dealer suggested nothing larger then a 2” -2.5” level so I did a 2.25” level and Bilstein shocks which IMO helps with less stress on suspension especially when adding heavy AT Tires like KO2’s. The cost to lift a truck on your own is cheaper than the cost to buy already lifted truck from dealer. Besides, anyone ever notice the garbage lifts on trucks sitting at dealers lots? They look like they were sent over the border and back, last ok like their no name brands. So, do you risk lifting and having to pay for damages caused by levels and lifts? Yes but why wait till warranty is over cause you’ll still be paying out of pocket for repairs anyway. My last truck was worked on by 4wheelparts and came with separate warranty that would replace all work “FREE of charge”!

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Mikeb52r said:

From what my brother in law told me (he works at a dealership in the service department ) the level kits they are selling now are like my RC kit mounted on the lower strut. They are a “GM Part” when sold and installed by the dealership. These kits are warranted as long as they are a GM Part. 

I bought and installed my own leveling kit so I have no warranty, but had I done it through the dealership it would be warranted. 

Nope.  GM does not make a leveling kit.  Its the dealer that is honoring the warranty of the truck because the dealer installed it.  Your brother in law works at one of the good guys. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Nope.  GM does not make a leveling kit.  Its the dealer that is honoring the warranty of the truck because the dealer installed it.  Your brother in law works at one of the good guys. 

You’re absolutely correct! Dealers send out their trucks to the cheapest bidding mod shops and from there all warranty work goes through the mod shops which I’ve seen a guy get his whole warranty get turned down just for adding a size larger on the lift the mod shop put on. It’s all about the dollar, mod shops bid low to get the work from dealership and sometimes even they turn down warranty work cause they’re cheap so then the vehicle is sent back to dealer and given back to truck owner as warranty denied due to changing tire size lmao! Look at it this way, why wait till warranty is over to make your truck look the way you want it to look cause either way you’re going to pay for customizing your trucks suspension when something breaks.

Well I took off the level yesterday. Going in for an alignment soon. I heard the popping noise as soon as I backed out of the driveway but haven't heard it since. Maybe its in my head but it does feel like the steering is easier. Will keep listening for it and most likely take it to another dealer this week or the next. 

I placed my order for the Bilstein 6112 coilovers so maybe those will come in and I can install in the next month or so. I had the 5100's on my last truck and it seemed to mount up a lot better than the stock struts and a spacer. 

Someone asked earlier and in case you cant tell, yes I install my own stuff. Here is a pic of my last truck  just for fun. 2008 Sierra with RCX 5 inch, Bilstein 5100 at top setting, 1.5 inch zone body lift, 35x12.50x20 Hankook MT's, 4.56 gears and a Detroit trutrac. I had the 2008 for 8 years and plan on keeping my 2017 just as long. :thumbs:

truck_zpsigktzran.jpg

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Actually, it’s the dealer that sends a truck out for mods and not from manufacturer. One of my sponsors owns a GMC dealership and informed me typically all dealers have mods warranted by XYZ shop but under contract that the mod shop does all warranty work. So it’s not up to the dealership to warranty a repair on their lifted truck it’s up to the mod shop to decide which I’ve seen repair cost thrown back at truck owner just for adding larger size tires onto truck. My dealer suggested nothing larger then a 2” -2.5” level so I did a 2.25” level and Bilstein shocks which IMO helps with less stress on suspension especially when adding heavy AT Tires like KO2’s. The cost to lift a truck on your own is cheaper than the cost to buy already lifted truck from dealer. Besides, anyone ever notice the garbage lifts on trucks sitting at dealers lots? They look like they were sent over the border and back, last ok like their no name brands. So, do you risk lifting and having to pay for damages caused by levels and lifts? Yes but why wait till warranty is over cause you’ll still be paying out of pocket for repairs anyway. My last truck was worked on by 4wheelparts and came with separate warranty that would replace all work “FREE of charge”!

No they don't.  I've sold these trucks and we dont send any of them anywhere. They come to us that way because that what we ordered

No they don't.  I've sold these trucks and we dont send any of them anywhere. They come to us that way because that what we ordered

Ummm, yeah they do, like I said, one of my sponsors is the owner of a large GMC dealership and he himself told me that. No punt intended but I’ve dealt with many salesmen throughout my life and half of them didn’t know what fully came with the vehicles or how you could order without reading up on it right there and then. There are places a dealer can have them sent prior to arrival and after.

• Like 1

It has been a week since I took the level off and after the alignment last Tuesday the popping is gone I think. I cant get it to make the noise anymore and the steering does feel better. Good news is my tires don't rub but I don't like the look of the factory rake. Also took off the lower valence when I went in the woods last weekend to help keep the front end from scraping every time I got in a rut. Still waiting on delivery for the Bilstein 6112's and I think I will go ahead and set those at 1.23 inches. 

Ummm, yeah they do, like I said, one of my sponsors is the owner of a large GMC dealership and he himself told me that. No punt intended but I’ve dealt with many salesmen throughout my life and half of them didn’t know what fully came with the vehicles or how you could order without reading up on it right there and then. There are places a dealer can have them sent prior to arrival and after.

You are dead on about most car salesmen not knowing about the vehicles they are selling. My car salesman won’t even go over the new vehicles we purchase because I do my research and know more about the features in them than he does.

You are dead on about most car salesmen not knowing about the vehicles they are selling. My car salesman won’t even go over the new vehicles we purchase because I do my research and know more about the features in them than he does.

Drive up to any dealer, ask any sales guy where that lifted truck was done at and they’ll scratch their heads ummmm, ummmm.... they send them to us special order... BS! I went to a dealer in Houston for some DEF fluid and I asked the sales guy where that pretty jacked up truck was done and he said he didn’t know, walked up a total 4 sales guys and no one knew anything. I finally asked the GM and he knew but was reluctant to say. I’ve been around the block many times and 90% of sales guys have no idea. Just finished an alignment at 4wheelparts and there were 6 New trucks sitting there each with dealer stickers still on windows getting lifts, HA!

GM does NOT warranty modifications done by upfitters.  Never trust what the dealer sales people tell you in 100% factual, what they say has no weight. Many have no idea whatsoever and follow the age old rule,  if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS.

The dealers order the vehicle and have it shipped to the company that does the conversion and then is shipped on to the dealer.  GM has what are called "Ship Thru" rpo codes.   For example;

VTT
Ship Thru, Produced in Ft. Wayne Assembly and shipped to Buckeye Truck Equipment, Columbus, OH. Returned to Ft. Wayne Assembly for shipping to final destination.
TCM
Ship Thru, Produced in Ft. Wayne Assembly and shipped to Monroe Truck Equipment, Flint, MI. Returned to Flint Assembly for shipping to final destination.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES

Installations or alterations to the original GM-equipped vehicle (or chassis) are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty.  The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.
Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1