Window tint

ron mexico75

Just wondering what the opinions would be here. I have 20% on the front doors to match the factory tint on the back doors and back window. I’m wanting the entire back sliding window to be blacked out. I don’t want people to see in when they’re sitting behind me I guess is the best way to put it. Was at the shop that does window tinting for something else the other day and mentioned making it darker. The guy recommended putting 20% over the factory tint.

Would it be better just to do 5%? I know that seems right above spray painting the window black… Ha ha. However you figure if you’re looking in the back window from a car, the windshield is in front so it’s lightning it up a pretty good amount right?

Without knowing the tint laws where you live, it's impossible for anyone to give you a definite answer.  Go to the tint shop you use and tell them you want it tinted as dark as you can legally go.

My question with installing tint over tint is if it would distort your vision a lot. I'm not 100% certain as I've never done that but it makes sense to me. 
I did 5% on one of my previous vehicles, which is what we call limo tint and in the daytime it was great but at night it got rather annoying... add in a rainy night and you're backing up and to me it became really difficult to see unless you're in a really well lit urban area. Moral of the story is that I never did it again because although it looked awesome and nobody could see you, it just pissed me off. 

To add to it, it can become a cop magnet in some areas. 

Edited by GPGuy
  • Like 1

Without knowing the tint laws where you live, it's impossible for anyone to give you a definite answer.  Go to the tint shop you use and tell them you want it tinted as dark as you can legally go.

Damn… Totally forgot I posted here a couple weeks ago.

In Virginia, as far as trucks and SUVs you can go as dark as you want on the back doors and back window. Technically front windows aren’t supposed to be below 50%. I’ve been rolling around with 20% on different vehicles for over 18 years with no problems.

I have an appointment this Saturday morning and I told them I wanted to get the two rear doors and the back sliding window done. My front windows have already been tinted 20% to match the factory tint on the back doors.

Here’s what I can’t decide. I’m almost thinking of not having the back crew cab doors done and just getting the rear sliding window tinted 5%. I’m not sure I want the truck to have that light tint/dark tint look when looking at it from the side. I think having all the same color just makes the truck look cleaner. I don’t know what do you guys think?

I definitely want the back slider totally blacked out. I’ve been watching some videos on YouTube and even SUVs that have the back done with 5% over stock, you can still look through the back window and see light coming in the windshield. Is there a way around that?

Would a layer of 20% over the back slider and then doing a layer of 5% over that totally black it out? Just not sure what I should do before my appointment Saturday.

29 minutes ago, ron mexico75 said:

I definitely want the back slider totally blacked out. I’ve been watching some videos on YouTube and even SUVs that have the back done with 5% over stock, you can still look through the back window and see light coming in the windshield. Is there a way around that?

So you don't want to be able to use your rear view mirror at all?

If you want to be able to see out, someone behind you will be able to see the silhouette of your head in front of the windshield. But that's about it.

Otherwise just get some black vinyl and actually make it opaque.

So you don't want to be able to use your rear view mirror at all?

If you want to be able to see out, someone behind you will be able to see the silhouette of your head in front of the windshield. But that's about it.

Otherwise just get some black vinyl and actually make it opaque.

No… I’d still use it just to see who’s behind me but whenever I back up a trailer or go in reverse I use my side mirrors and back up camera. I already have a big weather guard toolbox it takes away 1/3 of the window as it is.

I guess maybe do 5% over the factory tint and just see how things are.

What do you think about the rear doors? Obviously it’s my truck but just trying to get a general consensus of having all the same color looks better versus the dark back doors and lighter front doors.

I agree that from the outside it looks better when both side windows are the same tint.

My wife's car has 20% on the front windows and I hate it at night. I can't see out of them when turning, since there are no headlights pointing sideways.

I would never tint the front windows on my truck, but I like seeing out at night. Maybe you live in an urban area and are never truly in the dark, so it doesn't matter.

I agree that from the outside it looks better when both side windows are the same tint.

My wife's car has 20% on the front windows and I hate it at night. I can't see out of them when turning, since there are no headlights pointing sideways.

I would never tint the front windows on my truck, but I like seeing out at night. Maybe you live in an urban area and are never truly in the dark, so it doesn't matter.

Yeah just thinking it over and might just leave the doors as it is, stock tint on the back and 20% on the front.

I don’t know man I’ve had tint on every vehicle I’ve owned since the late 90s so I just must be used to it. I have no problems at night in urban or suburban areas.

This is mine with 20% up front and 5% on rear doors and back window. I'm actually thinking of going 5% up front as well or getting the front windshield tinted some to not let so much light in.... not sure yet.. lol

I can see out the back at night when cars are behind me (lights). It doesn't bother me. But I don't do that much night time driving in my truck. And I also installed side cameras, so I can see the side in my head unit when I turn my blinkers on or activate it whenever..

In the day, if looking from behind, yeah, you can see(shadows) from the back if it's bright outside due to that big windshield letting so much light in. But that's about it. b97b4c384c33e4d3bf85d5356ee55cbf.jpg7d7996ae92ca956a4dc2a358838c4af7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is mine with 20% up front and 5% on rear doors and back window. I'm actually thinking of going 5% up front as well or getting the front windshield tinted some to not let so much light in.... not sure yet.. lol

I can see out the back at night when cars are behind me (lights). It doesn't bother me. But I don't do that much night time driving in my truck. And I also installed side cameras, so I can see the side in my head unit when I turn my blinkers on or activate it whenever..

In the day, if looking from behind, yeah, you can see(shadows) from the back if it's bright outside due to that big windshield letting so much light in. But that's about it. b97b4c384c33e4d3bf85d5356ee55cbf.jpg7d7996ae92ca956a4dc2a358838c4af7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Looks great man. Thanhs for posting those pics and explaining about the back window. That’s what I was looking for.