Last good z71

4 hours ago, dmorrisL86 said:

Traded my ‘03 z71 Silverado for my ‘17 Sierra All-Terrain. Miss the ‘03 every day. Something that really pisses me off is how easily the rear end lets loose on wet pavement. Thought it was the factory tires, so I upgraded to some ridge grapplers and still have the same issue. 

Were both trucks the same body configuration?  My '15 is much more planted than my '00 or my '09 were but my '15 has a considerably longer wheelbase.  Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

Were both trucks the same body configuration?  My '15 is much more planted than my '00 or my '09 were but my '15 has a considerably longer wheelbase.  Just a thought.

‘03 was an extended cab with 6’6” bed, ‘17 is a crew cab short bed. So yes sir, essentially the same truck as far as wheelbase goes. 

Agree I still have my 06 z71 cc. my son  now drives it. Don't get me wrong i love my '17 but i feel the 06 is a far better built truck paint, body panels etc. and came with better more options  on the LT Z71 pkg. Which my 17 is.  

only issue i have w/06 is that it still groons like a goose from the steering box/gear when turning left. that is appearingly that's  "normal" 

oh almost forgot the damn rockers are rusted out both sides! they started to go in 2012 and i gave it some love washing her twice a week (freebies my buddy owns a car wash) and waxed a couple twice year still rusted out.....other then that probably would still be driver the 06! 

• Like 1

Z71 hasn't been anything special since the early 90's. As far as Chevy trucks go, my opinion is that the 07-13 were the best half tons, the 02-07 classic HD's were the best, and these new ones while being comfortable and nice to drive (depending on shake issues or not) are the worst in terms of problems and overall quality. The Ranchos on my All Terrain look like they are 10 years old and the truck has never seen salt and only 30,000km. The rust while you look at them and are not a true "rancho" they are a high volume, bottom of the barrel mass production, outsourced Rancho. Built under license in China by Chinesium Toy Company for Rancho. Pretty sad when you have to build your $60k truck in the aftermarket to have it done properly. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dmorrisL86 said:

Ha I wish horsepower was the reason. But when I’m coasting around a corner at 15-20 mph on wet pavement and start to fishtail, horsepower isn’t the culprit. Took a while to get used to. I had my ‘03 for over 10 years, drove the same roads in the same conditions, and never had an issue. So I had to adjust my driving habits after I traded. Are the K2 trucks that much lighter out back than the GMT800’s?

always use Auto 4x4 in wet weather... never have this issue... but in 2w  ... for sure!

I came from a 1998 K1500 WT long box non Z71. That thing rode like a truck. It felt very sure footed and had good traction in wet conditions, but I attributed that to the Cooper Discoverer A/T tires.

My current 2015 Z71 rides more like a car. Its very comfortable, but it is a far cry from how my old one felt. Still on factory crap tires. While I can break the rear end loose when I want to, I can also drive just fine without spinning around corners. You just need to drive like your mom or child is riding with you.

15 hours ago, dmorrisL86 said:

Traded my ‘03 z71 Silverado for my ‘17 Sierra All-Terrain. Miss the ‘03 every day. Something that really pisses me off is how easily the rear end lets loose on wet pavement. Thought it was the factory tires, so I upgraded to some ridge grapplers and still have the same issue. 

You need to get Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires,  much better than the Nitto, especially in wet weather.  Have had my set on the truck for a little over a year now and have been very impressed.  No need for 4wd

Last Great Z71 for me was my 1994 K1500 Short Bed Regular Cab.

Back then the Z71 package included Aluminum Front Bumper and Transfer Case Skid plates, larger torsion bars

and Bilstein Off Road shocks from the factory. Back then it was more than just an appearance/accessory package.

Although my '06 Z71 avalanche also came with Bilstein's that lasted 80,000 miles.

I feel my 02 regular 4x4 truck was a much better truck in terms of quality than my '16 Z71. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers on the 02 and never needed 4wd, except in severe snow conditions for the added peace of mind. My new truck hasn't required 4wd either with the BFG KO2s, but it doesn't seem to pull as well off-road as my 02 did. If the 02 hadn't been rusting apart everywhere I never would have got rid of it; it was a reliable truck and the quality was top notch. I hit a deer at 30mph and it barely dented the front bumper, I hit a deer in the 16 at the same speed and it completely bent the bumper, brackets, and fender.

11 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

I feel my 02 regular 4x4 truck was a much better truck in terms of quality than my '16 Z71. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers on the 02 and never needed 4wd, except in severe snow conditions for the added peace of mind. My new truck hasn't required 4wd either with the BFG KO2s, but it doesn't seem to pull as well off-road as my 02 did. If the 02 hadn't been rusting apart everywhere I never would have got rid of it; it was a reliable truck and the quality was top notch. I hit a deer at 30mph and it barely dented the front bumper, I hit a deer in the 16 at the same speed and it completely bent the bumper, brackets, and fender.

Then you have guys down south who use it in "wet weather" so they have a reason to justify using/buying it :lol:

Guys that think the older trucks were better quality or overall better trucks are smoking something. I promise an old truck isn't nearly as strong as the new trucks from the beefier axles to more powerful drivetrains/transmissions. Then you have things like the rattling interiors, wind noise, creaks, groans from everything from the body to the suspension. Sure the steel bumpers might be thicker as are the body panels but those aren't the meat and potatoes of a truck...

All the old trucks included was a different brand of shock from today's trucks which regardless of what sentimental value the name has the new ones are superior and a metal skid plate. The skid plate isn't even used anymore except by a few people. Back then trucks were still bought to be used as trucks and the Z71 was for those who left the pavement and needed some added protection which a good amount did who bought it. Today it is an image purchase by people who never leave the pavement, what is the point of including $200 in wasted cost to the commuters? People that use it will add it as I did, and I certainly appear to be in the minority.

The last good Z71 was this version which was better than the one before than and then the one before that and so on.

Tyler

• Like 1

I had two Z71's in the past 98 Ext Cab and an 05 Reg Cab. i loved them both if i could of found one in decent shape with low miles i would of bought that over my 18 which isn't a Z71 i got a custom since i didn't need all the fancy stuff, i wanted a truck. The 98 was a great overall truck with its 3.73 and 350 motor but the Reg cab was a beast with its 5.3 and 4.10 gears. Some reason i was always buying tires for it. Only thing im not crazy about on the new truck is the traction control and the AFM other than that its a great truck.

I have good memories of my past trucks beginning with my '69 F100.  Every truck I've owned since then was an improvement over my previous truck.  "They don't build 'em like they used to" is true when it comes to cars and trucks.  They are much nicer to drive, safer, more powerful and far more efficient than they were in the past.  

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1

I'm on my 4th Z71 (2004, 2008, 2015, & 2014 in that order), I have gotta say I loved my 04 and 08...now with that being said these new trucks are far superior in quality, both on and off the road. Personally I view every truck and vehicle I've ever owned as a challenge and a chance to go back to the drawing board and reinvent what a truck should be. I personally believe that my Z71's (And my Camaro) have been some of my favorite vehicles over time and I don't know if I'll ever be able to get rid of the truck I have now, with the exception of upgrading to a 2500 for towing/work purposes, my 2014 is capable, strong, and reliable. 

That the Z71 sticker has lost some of it's stigma, it really is a badge and some Rancho shocks if that's how you choose to see it. However, I saw mine as an opportunity to make it bada** and that's what I did, 4" lift w/ 35's, K&N CAI, skid plates, light bars, Ranch Hand bumpers front and back. No truck manufacturer today will make a truck that's exactly what you want and picture in your head, you've gotta go out and make your truck...well a truck, that you love and will never want to get rid of! 

With all that being said, I think the last good Z71 made probably rolled off an assembly line today and another one will roll off tomorrow! The last good FX4? That's an easy one, a good FX4 or Ford for that fact has never been made.