Do you like your job/career

Colossus

The question is just that, do you like your job/career?  if so, why?  if not, what career (aside from retired and rich) would you rather be doing? 

Nope.  Hate it and honestly wish I would have taken another path most times.  That said it makes money matched by little else and owning a profitable company is tough to not want so it's a paradox of sorts.  What would I rather do?  Something fun with cars... but guess what... that stuff makes peanuts.  Use the unwanted career to pay for the fun.. makes the most sense.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

I had two business that were enjoyable. The first one I sold and invested into the family start up. Both were hard work in the beginning and time consuming. I’m retired now and the business thrives with family members still running the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i hate manufacturing with a passion, but its hard to get out of it when no other place will match your pay.  I just wish my school would have informed us a bit more on trades rather than preparing for college. Not everything in college goes somewhere... I wasted 10 grand only to get nowhere when I could have invested that in a trade school or something.  

• Like 5

I think I always loved my work. My bosses not so much. In fact my work was more like play time than work time. My play time more like work. I got to do things, go places, learn things and teach in the end that made it like going to college and having the college pay for your education and your mistakes. The formal education past high school cost me more than it gave. API, Getty and Chevron had some great schools and teachers I'm still indebted to. Everything is outsourced now. I pity the young. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I HATE modern cars. That said, when I fix them, it's a good feeling. Sort of like drinking. It's alot of fun ... but then there's the 3 day hangover ...

Maybe that analogy is backwards ... :lol:

I've exhausted all my employment options. I've worked in restaurant kitchens, washed cars at a car dealer, worked in plastic factories, speaker factories, run forklifts, manufactured wire, worked doing industrial roofing, in a motorcycle shop turning wrenches, drove tractor trailer - 48', 53', and doubles, and drove a recycling route in a major city. Became pretty clear over the years that working for others wasn't my cup of tea. I've always charted my own path, which pissed off ALL of my bosses in the process.  :D  

I want to fly airplanes. Jets would be nice. WAAAAY outta my league!

Edited by Jsdirt

Still Love my YOB even after 39 years but it is stressful and way too time consuming. I just need a really long vacation and getting ready to do just that. I  have over 5 weeks to take before the end of the year. 3 yrs and 2 months and then I retire and relax. Only problem is these 3 foster kids that we took in on a temporary basis and now my wife is attached and wants to adopt after 10 months! YIKES  my life is ruined LOL NOT REALLY they are great kids. God smiles on people that sacrifice for others. I can probably do 10 or 12  more years if it means these children will have a foot up on life. That is what it is all about anyway right? 7 year old helped me wash and apply a coat of wax a few minutes ago after church. I may go get a Lotto ticket, a winning ticket would solve a lot of problems,,,,,,,, HahahahaIMG_6108.jpg.e290be35cc68cece468dee2ab8998786.jpg    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love my job most days. I work on cars for a living but I work at a classic car/hot rod shop so it’s fun  and stressful because parts can be difficult to fine 

And most need to be rebuilt and fabricated 

• Like 1

I had a few types of jobs.

I never had an issue doing the work I was paid for.

It was always the BS that management started.

I had a stead fast rule, (retired) never let them take advantage of me or fail to hold up their end of a deal.

If they get away with it once, they will try it again just like a kid will.

:)

• Like 2

I enjoy my job, it'll be 13 years in a couple days on the 15th.  I get paid pretty good money to go in to work, have fun, piss people off, and do my job.  Just like any job there are bad days and we do some pretty stupid stuff that makes no sense.  I tell the newer people "we make dollars not sense" and then tell them not to ask me how we make those dollars.  Most of the crap I hate dealing with is because of management or the union screwing something up.  22 more years to go, unless benefits and retirement get taken away, then I'll find another job.  Another reason I'd leave my current job is if my body finally breaks where it can't be fixed or grow tired of something going wrong and getting it fixed.  Catch 22 I'm at the job for the benefits but I need the benefits because of my job.  I'm also a landlord and my tenant is great.  The county and their stupid code enforcement nailing me and the other property/business owners in the area no so much.

Edited by Chevyguy85
  • Like 2