• 2 weeks later...

Had this same issue happen to me.  2016 Sierra crew cab 5.3l. I recieved a letter in the mail last week that said if this issue has happened to take it to the dealership with the letter top have it repaired. It also included a refund sheet to be sent in if you already had the vacuum pumpand belt replaced. Hopefully this will fix the issue.  

2 minutes ago, K_W said:

Had this same issue happen to me.  2016 Sierra crew cab 5.3l. I recieved a letter in the mail last week that said if this issue has happened to take it to the dealership with the letter top have it repaired. It also included a refund sheet to be sent in if you already had the vacuum pumpand belt replaced. Hopefully this will fix the issue.  

It won’t. Only buys you 20,000 miles maybe. 

Has anyone just taken the letter in and gotten the replacement parts without having the issue?

I've got the letter, but my brakes have felt fine. But I also plan on towing my trailer this summer, and now I'm a bit worried towing with brakes that could fail.

Thinking of taking it in regardless.

1 hour ago, gmckenzie said:

Has anyone just taken the letter in and gotten the replacement parts without having the issue?

I've got the letter, but my brakes have felt fine. But I also plan on towing my trailer this summer, and now I'm a bit worried towing with brakes that could fail.

Thinking of taking it in regardless.

I didn’t have the issue...but took it in anyways.  Actually occurred during the technician’s test drive.  Pump pressure was also out of specs.

Mine is booked in for end of this week. I have only noticed it recently but find I can replicate the hard pedal if I tap it a few times at idle.

Lost some assistance while launching a boat, that was definitely enough of a wake up call for getting it sorted. Luckily the parking brake worked [emoji51]

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

On 5/20/2019 at 8:04 AM, silveradosid said:

i replaced my pump and have gone 50k since and no problems .Paintor did you replace your and have problems or do you like to post stupid sh&t

Duhhhh GM sent the letter out this month cuz it means noffin.

Aint noffin wron wit ar brake u know?

It won’t. Only buys you 20,000 miles maybe. 

I think he was asking for clarification of your comment above, just didn't do it in a particularly articulate manner. [emoji16]

17 hours ago, Mozzer said:

I have only noticed it recently but find I can replicate the hard pedal if I tap it a few times at idle.

Lost some assistance while launching a boat, that was definitely enough of a wake up call for getting it sorted. Luckily the parking brake worked emoji51.png

Wow scary!  Thats always one of my biggest fears.  I dont want to be THAT guy with the submerged truck at the boat ramp.

Anyway, I too recently noticed that I can create a hard pedal simply by gently pumping the brakes at idle.  I had my first scare the other night backing into my driveway and the pedal went hard and I kept on rollin.

Time to schedule an appointment.

Per the GM Letter mailed out this month by GM acknowledging the vacuum pump failures, says to keep driving your truck because even without Power Brakes you still have hydraulic brakes that meets NHTSA Federal Requirements. Hard to believe no power brakes required on Federal Highways.

If you live in a State that requires power brakes...that piece of paper is Gold in your hands.

Go see your State Attorney General. Lemon Law it.

What States require power brakes? Does anyone know?

Per the GM Letter mailed out this month by GM acknowledging the vacuum pump failures, says to keep driving your truck because even without Power Brakes you still have hydraulic brakes that meets NHTSA Federal Requirements. Hard to believe no power brakes required on Federal Highways.

If you live in a State that requires power brakes...that piece of paper is Gold in your hands.

Go see your State Attorney General. Lemon Law it.

What States require power brakes? Does anyone know?
That is mental, a vehicle that never had power brakes designed in is not the same as having failed power brakes. I had old cars with no power brakes, they stopped fine but power assisted brakes with a dead servo is another story.

Same goes for power steering.

• Like 1

Got my vac pump changed at dealer (Vernon, BC) on Friday, it took them about 4hrs from dropping off, I don't know if they tested it first. When making the booking they said they would have to test it before ordering parts but after talking with a service guy, explaining the symptoms & that a visit to the dealer means a half day off work as I am 45 minutes out of town he said they would have the parts in & do the work same day.

I didn't get the paperwork as it was late & I had to get moving, will see what it says when they email me a copy.

Unfortunately the ticking / rattling that has been present since new did not diminish, I didn't think it would as the noise seems more central & towards the rear of engine so might be injection as others have mentioned.